Heroes and Goats: SEA@ARI

iLLmatiC

Drive-by Poster
Reaction score
Lol K9 trying to drum up some controversy. Drew Stanton on the Heroes list? That's laughable, especially when I don't see Larry Fitzgerald there. Also, you don't have a single WR on your Goats list, that's troublesome.

Reaction score
John Wetzel, OT - Wetzel came into a tough situation against a tough opponent and more than held his own.

Drew Stanton, QB - I’m not gonna lie: I like watching Drew Stanton play more than I liked watching Carson Palmer. He's fluid in the pocket and plays an entertaining style of high-variance football.

Karlos Dansby, OLB - Tasked with covering Jimmy Graham in base situations, where he effectively shut him down. Snuffed out a screen pass on third down, despite certain posters’ protestations that he can’t or won’t do so.

Josh Mauro, DT - Mauro got a large, non-guaranteed contract extension last season and apparently is taking this one off. He’s been a consistent non-factor in both the run and the pass game.

Adrian Peterson, RB - I bristle when people continue to insist that AD is somehow still “a good back.” Kerywnn Williams was able to get 100 yards against the dregs of the NFL. Peterson last night was unable to win one-on-one matchups in the hole, and that’s why he was available for a pittance.

James Bettcher, DC - The difference between the injury-plagued Seattle defense and the (relatively) healthy Arizona Cardinals defense last night was stark. Bettcher provides the Arizona Cardinals with neither an emotional or strategic advantage. He is a replacement-level defensive coordinator and should be replaced.

I sometimes think that some of your selections are just to cause controversy; and discussion. That's ok, I guess.

Wetzel - I was very worried when Humphries went out, but except for the one play where he got steamrolled, Wetzel filled in somewhat adequately. Does that make him a hero?

Stanton - played about as well as he could also; which as I stated in another post is a shade under good enough! Certainly not a hero!

Adrian Peterson - As a goat? For his first play from scrimmage fumble, perhaps. But I guess you think that Peterson should have somehow run over top of Wagner and Wright, because there certainly was no room to maneuver against that loaded front. Inferring that Kerwynn Williams would have somehow done better; well, now you're just being ridiculous!

WindCardinal

All Star
Reaction score
Also in my observations Josh Mauro has been the worst D lineman. Id be inclined to give his starting spot to Pierre and then having X. Williams active over him

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Like many if not most NFL games the turnover battle tells the tale. We gave up a turnover...they did not.

we effectively lost the game on the very first offensive play from scrimmage.

the first play.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This D has to be one of the bottom feeders in creating turnovers this year.

OP
OP
kerouac9

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
This D has to be one of the bottom feeders in creating turnovers this year.
I looked this up, and two weeks ago we were top 10 in INTs. We’re just not forcing fumbles, and IMO that’s technique, attitude, and physicality. Bettcher teaches them to play soft, and they do so. IMO.

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Like many if not most NFL games the turnover battle tells the tale. We gave up a turnover...they did not.

we effectively lost the game on the very first offensive play from scrimmage.

the first play.
This would make sense if they scored off of it but they didn't. That fumble was a non-factor.

schutd

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
The point of playing the game is to win. We lost. No Heroes. Just some good dudes who tried hard. Some played well, others dragged us down.

Using general turnover stats like "we lost the turnover battle" as the reason for the loss, when it occurred on the first play, and didn't DIRECTLY result in an opponents score is ridiculous. If this team cant recover from a mistake on THE FIRST PLAY, well I dont know what to tell you. Yes field position flipped. I get that. But MAN, that happens a few times a game. I absolutely refuse to believe that a first play fumble "set the tone" for the game. Thats garbage.

No one thing will determine a win or a loss. It is a culmination of an entire game. Yes, there is a butterfly effect, Im sure. But to try and drill into a loss and decide on one thing that "caused" it is a fools errand.

We are a bad football team, stocked with probably a mean level of players, running the gamut from very talented, to not so good, to once great, now aging. Like most teams. We have a formerly beloved coach who has been caught by the field and doesnt have the stamina to make the changes necessary to get back into the lead. Thats the definition of "time to go" But MAN, this board can't seem to stop from just putting the guy on BLAST for every little thing he does.

Does levity even exist anymore? Its just football, dudes.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
The point of playing the game is to win. We lost. No Heroes. Just some good dudes who tried hard. Some played well, others dragged us down.

Using general turnover stats like "we lost the turnover battle" as the reason for the loss, when it occurred on the first play, and didn't DIRECTLY result in an opponents score is ridiculous. If this team cant recover from a mistake on THE FIRST PLAY, well I dont know what to tell you. Yes field position flipped. I get that. But MAN, that happens a few times a game. I absolutely refuse to believe that a first play fumble "set the tone" for the game. Thats garbage.

No one thing will determine a win or a loss. It is a culmination of an entire game. Yes, there is a butterfly effect, Im sure. But to try and drill into a loss and decide on one thing that "caused" it is a fools errand.

We are a bad football team, stocked with probably a mean level of players, running the gamut from very talented, to not so good, to once great, now aging. Like most teams. We have a formerly beloved coach who has been caught by the field and doesnt have the stamina to make the changes necessary to get back into the lead. Thats the definition of "time to go" But MAN, this board can't seem to stop from just putting the guy on BLAST for every little thing he does.

Does levity even exist anymore? Its just football, dudes.
Dude...get your priorities in order! We are fighting our asses off for a top five pick around here and that damned coach keeps trying to screw it up. Pick #10 does us no good man,...we have to be in the top 5 or we aint getting our quarterback.

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
did we score on that drive?? No??
Then the turnover was indeed a factor.
So teams are now expected to score on every single drive? The going for it on 4th and 9 at the end of the first half and not kicking FG with 4 minutes left on their 15 were bigger blunders.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
So teams are now expected to score on every single drive? The going for it on 4th and 9 at the end of the first half and not kicking FG with 4 minutes left on their 15 were bigger blunders.
lol.
yeah.
I actually DO expect my team to score on every drive.
that is actually the entire purpose of being on offense.

wanna hear something crazy???
I actually expect my team to stop the other guys from scoring on their drives also.
because that is the purpose of being on defense.

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
lol.
yeah.
I actually DO expect my team to score on every drive.
that is actually the entire purpose of being on offense.

wanna hear something crazy???
I actually expect my team to stop the other guys from scoring on their drives also.
because that is the purpose of being on defense.
I don't like to question some people's sports acumen but sometimes football is like playing chess. Do you think you can achieve checkmate on every move? I mean, sure, you can lure someone into a fools mate in just a few moves(I've done it myself) but it's extremely rare just like not every football game is Georgia Tech playing Cumberland College(look it up). There's give and take. There's field position. There's looking for a weakness and trying to exploit it. If you're expecting your team to score every time they touch the ball then you're going to be disappointed about 70% of the day if not more. So the Cards F'd up their first possession then the defense did as you wanted and stopped them making that turnover meaningless. Now, if you want to be pissed at the dropped balls and Stanton overthrowing every receiver on deep balls then I'm with you but to believe the game turned on a meaningless turnover then I don't know what to tell you.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
So, when AP is great against the worst team in the NFL, SF, he still has it. But, when he gets a similar opportunity in terms of volume vs a good team and sucks, it was because of bad blocking and the opponent? That makes no sense.

Re:Bettcher...why is it wrong to expect the defense to be the better unit on the field, and critique them when they don't dominate? Situationally we are bad. That is poor coaching. We play soft coverage to not give up big plays which allows QBs to get comfortable. We don't scheme to get players in the best positions possible...that is coaching. I guess if you are ok with the Andy Dalton of defenses which Bettcher has created, then you shouldn't want more. I want more.

Drew Stanton sucks. Humphries going out for the year sucks. I don't have much confidence in this team moving forward.

pmacLean

Veteran
Reaction score
I looked this up, and two weeks ago we were top 10 in INTs. We’re just not forcing fumbles, and IMO that’s technique, attitude, and physicality. Bettcher teaches them to play soft, and they do so. IMO.

SOunds good, except I don't think Bettcher teaches them ANYTHING.