Heroes and Goats: SEA@ARI

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I'm just gonna say this: the 2017 Arizona Cardinals are a good and fun team. I don't mean "good" as in "good at winning football games" — they're clearly not that. I kind of mean it like, "they're good guys." Just good, clean guys, playing some footbaw. Larry's a good guy. Drew's a good guy. Karlos is a good guy.

And I don't mean "fun" like they're having fun out there. It doesn't look like it's very fun to be an Arizona Cardinal right now. I mean that it's fun to see people like Budda Baker fly around at 70 miles per hour. It's fun to watch Patrick Peterson play a higher level of football than anyone else on the field.

I don't know that Steve Keim is the guy to lead this team on the rebuilding project that's coming. But I think he's earned a chance to execute it. I think that 2018's Arizona Cardinals season is shaping up to be a 5-11 debacle that will make this year look like a walk in the park. I'm excited.

You must be registered for see images attach

John Wetzel, OT - Wetzel came into a tough situation against a tough opponent and more than held his own.

Drew Stanton, QB - I’m not gonna lie: I like watching Drew Stanton play more than I liked watching Carson Palmer. He's fluid in the pocket and plays an entertaining style of high-variance football.

Karlos Dansby, OLB - Tasked with covering Jimmy Graham in base situations, where he effectively shut him down. Snuffed out a screen pass on third down, despite certain posters’ protestations that he can’t or won’t do so.

Josh Mauro, DT - Mauro got a large, non-guaranteed contract extension last season and apparently is taking this one off. He’s been a consistent non-factor in both the run and the pass game.

Adrian Peterson, RB - I bristle when people continue to insist that AD is somehow still “a good back.” Kerywnn Williams was able to get 100 yards against the dregs of the NFL. Peterson last night was unable to win one-on-one matchups in the hole, and that’s why he was available for a pittance.

James Bettcher, DC - The difference between the injury-plagued Seattle defense and the (relatively) healthy Arizona Cardinals defense last night was stark. Bettcher provides the Arizona Cardinals with neither an emotional or strategic advantage. He is a replacement-level defensive coordinator and should be replaced.

b8rtm8nn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Don't care for Bettcher but the Cardinal D was good last night.

The Cardinals defensive roster is actually pretty good, the coordinator does not bring out the best in them. That coordinator happens to be Bettcher.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
I'm just gonna say this: the 2017 Arizona Cardinals are a good and fun team. I don't mean "good" as in "good at winning football games" — they're clearly not that. I kind of mean it like, "they're good guys." Just good, clean guys, playing some footbaw. Larry's a good guy. Drew's a good guy. Karlos is a good guy.

And I don't mean "fun" like they're having fun out there. It doesn't look like it's very fun to be an Arizona Cardinal right now. I mean that it's fun to see people like Budda Baker fly around at 70 miles per hour. It's fun to watch Patrick Peterson play a higher level of football than anyone else on the field.

I don't know that Steve Keim is the guy to lead this team on the rebuilding project that's coming. But I think he's earned a chance to execute it. I think that 2018's Arizona Cardinals season is shaping up to be a 5-11 debacle that will make this year look like a walk in the park. I'm excited.

John Wetzel, OT - Wetzel came into a tough situation against a tough opponent and more than held his own.

Drew Stanton, QB - I’m not gonna lie: I like watching Drew Stanton play more than I liked watching Carson Palmer. He's fluid in the pocket and plays an entertaining style of high-variance football.

Karlos Dansby, OLB - Tasked with covering Jimmy Graham in base situations, where he effectively shut him down. Snuffed out a screen pass on third down, despite certain posters’ protestations that he can’t or won’t do so.

Josh Mauro, DT - Mauro got a large, non-guaranteed contract extension last season and apparently is taking this one off. He’s been a consistent non-factor in both the run and the pass game.

Adrian Peterson, RB - I bristle when people continue to insist that AD is somehow still “a good back.” Kerywnn Williams was able to get 100 yards against the dregs of the NFL. Peterson last night was unable to win one-on-one matchups in the hole, and that’s why he was available for a pittance.

James Bettcher, DC - The difference between the injury-plagued Seattle defense and the (relatively) healthy Arizona Cardinals defense last night was stark. Bettcher provides the Arizona Cardinals with neither an emotional or strategic advantage. He is a replacement-level defensive coordinator and should be replaced.
Bettcher called a good defensive game last night. The defense wasn't thw problem at all.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
Defensive issues:

the D was good last night because the middle of the D line got reasonable pass rush push -- making Wilson uncomfortable. not always sacking / hitting -- but making him pull the ball down when his first read was taken away.

in games where that doesnt happen (Rams game / Q4 Bucs) : pass D is a disaster

OP
OP
kerouac9

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Bettcher called a good defensive game last night. The defense wasn't thw problem at all.

Seattle's average ppg: 23.4
Seattle's scoring last night: 22

Did you watch the game last night and think, "Man, our defense is just as good as Seattle's"? Because I didn't, but I think we're just as talented.

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Seattle D played against Drew Stanton. Cards played against Russell Wilson. The D set the offense up from the start and Peterson with a killer fumble that flipped the field and led to 7 points. A slip by Bethea led to the other TD.... A special teams blunder cost us 2 points...Cards were pressuring and hitting Wilson all night.

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score
I can't fanthom why you like watching Stanton play!?! Same thing I said last week:

The only thing he has going for him is more mobility than CP3, so he's not sacked as much.

I got tired of watching him throw low and away fastballs behind the receiver, ahead of the receiver, to the receiver's feet, etc.

He's terrible!

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Seattle's average ppg: 23.4
Seattle's scoring last night: 22

Did you watch the game last night and think, "Man, our defense is just as good as Seattle's"? Because I didn't, but I think we're just as talented.
I watched that game and thought, if Bethea doesn't fall down, Cards win 16-15.

OP
OP
kerouac9

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I watched that game and thought, if Bethea doesn't fall down, Cards win 16-15.

LOL. Yes. The Cards DEFINITELY would've scored a meaningless TD as time expired had the Seahawks not been up by two scores. This is the same kind of magical thinking that lead people to believe the Cards were actually a 10-win team last season if it weren't for that darned kicker.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Bettcher is nothing special but he is definitely not a goat? I would pick Bethea... Gave up the long almost TD and then gave up the TD on the next play

Yeah, with the exception of one lucky play, I thought the defense was fine.

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Wetzel the Pretzel a hero? You thought his human turnstile performance was better than that of Pierre? And did you not see Wetzel get pancaked last night?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Don't care for Bettcher but the Cardinal D was good last night.
Agreed. The defense kept us in the game. Had Bethea not fallen off his walker this might have been a different ballgame.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
Sorry, but Arians decision to going for it on fourth down with 40+ seconds left in the first half was enough for me to put him on the goat list. He gave Seattle the ball on the 38 with 46 seconds left instead of punting to either pin Seattle or at the very least get the ball at their won 20 which Seattle probably would have kneel and gone into the half with a 12-7 or at least made them drive 50 yds. to get into FG range. They had no timeouts left. Instead they go into half time with a 15-7 lead.

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
Wetzel the Pretzel a hero? You thought his human turnstile performance was better than that of Pierre? And did you not see Wetzel get pancaked last night?

I didn't see a turnstile performance by Wetzel. Yes he got pancaked but overall he did a decent job. Even the all pro LTs get schooled at times. I was expecting much worse and was happy to see him play at the level he did.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Oh come on bro.

AP is 58 years old and carried the ball like 39 times just 4 days earlier did you honestly expect anything else other than what happened. Seattle was flat out daring us to throw.

The Defense played great last night. They gave it all they had.

But you got Drew Freaking Stanton on the Heros list??? You know you've had a bad game when in the fourth quarter they play a Montage of you missing wide open wide receivers by 10 yards. An entertaining style of football? Wow

wit3card

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Stanton didn't play well, D played a below potential but not bad. BA's playcalling was awful and ST was ... Arizona BA/Amos ST ...

So back to the fact, AD needs a QB that can throw or he will hit a wall like yesterday.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think Bethel should be on the Goat list just for the fact he kept screwing the offense with bad field position due to his penalties.