Happy with our Roster

RedLine

Right Wing Extremist
Reaction score
I'm pretty happy with our roster, and especially happy with what appears to be good depth, and the fact that we are not counting on any of our free agents or rookies to be starters. First time I can say that since the Cards moved to AZ.

Of course, I'm sure that Rod Graves didn't have a dam thing to do with it....
:sarcasm:

Let the camp battles begin!

black

ASFN Lifer
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I agree Redline. As I've stated before. There is not one player that is going to hurt the team by not playing, beit by holdout or injury.

The only one that would come close is Levi or ADub, God forbid.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
While I like our roster, also, I'd like it better if we had a speed back and a veteran OT for depth. We'll probably pick up the OT off the waiver wire, but not sure about the speed back.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
While I like our roster, also, I'd like it better if we had a speed back and a veteran OT for depth. We'll probably pick up the OT off the waiver wire, but not sure about the speed back.

I would hope the Cardinals are keeping their eyes on the Ten. Titans.

Chris Henry has some serious speed, but they drafted Chris Johnson this year who is touted to have serious speed as well.

I doubt the team is going to keep two speed backs as situational guys to compliment Lendale White.

Henry could become available, and there is your speed back.

As for OT ? There are vets that are available right now. I don't expect them to sign a guy until after week 1. Unless we go after some Steelers cast off, or Salaam in Houston - who I hear is not too happy to be backing up a rookie.

Last edited:

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
JJ Arrington :shrug:

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
JJ Arrington :shrug:

I am on that boat too, but I guess he is not fast enough for our current staff's liking.

If you look back at the records:

40 times:
Arrington was 4.40 to 4.48

Henry was 4.36 to 4.40

I don't know if there is THAT big of a difference, but still it makes you wonder about why the coaches are looking elsewhere.

WOW!
Chris Johnson ran a 4.26. That is some serious speed.

Last edited:

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree Redline. As I've stated before. There is not one player that is going to hurt the team by not playing, beit by holdout or injury.

The only one that would come close is Levi or ADub, God forbid.

Elton Brown played good when he had to come in.

ADub might be the only one.

cgolden

Registered
Reaction score

Chris Henry has some serious speed, but they drafted Chris Johnson this year who is touted to have serious speed as well.

I doubt the team is going to keep two speed backs as situational guys to compliment Lendale White.

As for OT ? There are vets that are available right now. I don't expect them to sign a guy until after week 1. Unless we go after some Steelers cast off, or Salaam in Houston - who I hear is not too happy to be backing up a rookie.

I'd love to see them take a run at Chris Henry. I'd even be for them trading for him (say a 6th or 7th rounder). Think that's enough?

As for a Steelers' cast off, they're probably going to have to cut either Jason Capizzi or Trai Essex. The general thinking is that they can keep one or the other but not both. Neither of them has a ton of experience but Essex has played started 5 games in three seasons, including last years playoff game. He's a decent pass blocker but simply doesn't have the mustard to generate any push in the run game. Capizzi is a mountain of a man (6'9 315) but was undrafted last year and spent time on the Jets and Chiefs practice squads. The Steelers signed him to their active roster after two OT's went down. He's developmental at best (he wasn't there when Grimm or Whiz were in PIT).

Last edited:

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

I am on that boat too, but I guess he is not fast enough for our current staff's liking.

If you look back at the records:

40 times:
Arrington was 4.40 to 4.48

Henry was 4.36 to 4.40

I don't know if there is THAT big of a difference, but still it makes you wonder about why the coaches are looking elsewhere.

WOW!
Chris Johnson ran a 4.26. That is some serious speed.

I'd love to see them take a run at Chris Henry. I'd even be for them trading for him (say a 6th or 7th rounder). Think that's enough?

As for a Steelers' cast off, they're probably going to have to cut either Jason Capizzi or Trai Essex. The general thinking is that they can keep one or the other but not both. Neither of them has a ton of experience but Essex has played started 5 games in three seasons, including last years playoff game. He's a decent pass blocker but simply doesn't have the mustard to generate any push in the run game. Capizzi is a mountain of a man (6'9 315) but was undrafted last year and spent time on the Jets and Chiefs practice squads. The Steelers signed him to their active roster after two OT's went down. He's developmental at best (he wasn't there when Grimm or Whiz were in PIT).
Henry isn't a speed back though, he was a workout warrior. Great size (5'11 230+) and speed, but didn't seem to put it together on the field. Strangely, he made the same type of jump on draft boards due to his combine that this year's first rounder, Johnson, did.

I just looked up his #'s from last year, and he had 31 carries for 118 yards (3.8 avg). Those numbers aren't bad, but you gotta wonder why he didn't get more touches if he is so fast, as that would make him a great compliment to White and thus negating the need for the team to go speedback in Rd 1 this year.

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
OL depth is bleak
Not happy with the RB situation either.
Not sure about the CB situation either considering Green is not starter material and DRC isnt in camp yet or proven anything yet.

Other then that I think the roster for the most part is set up pretty well from starters to depth behind them.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Monti Ossentfort