Who makes the roster on OL?

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The way Ossenfort has gone about the OL construction in FA this year is a lot different than we are used to.

The OL roster for camp last year was,

Hump
Pugh
Hudson
Hernandez
Beachum
Justin Murray
Josh Jones
Sean Harlow
Marquis Hayes
Leccy Smith
Danny Isidora
Greg Long
Koda Martin
Josh Miles
Haggai Ndubuisi
Eric Smith

There's a very clear top 10 then a bunch of nobodies that never played a real snap who float around the league filling camp body slots and never made a 53 man roster.

This year it looks a lot different,

Hump
Paris Johnson
Kelvin Beachum
Hjalte Froholdt
Will Hernandez
Josh Jones
Jackson Barton
Dennis Daley
Elijah Wilkinson
Julien Davenport
Marquise Hayes
Leccy Smith
Jon Gaines II
Hayden Howerton
Badara Traore

Aside from the rookies and Hayes who was injured last year the only guys without real NFL snaps are Traore and Howerton. While the top end talent hasn't improved much outside Paris the overall depth and competition for roster spots is far higher than usual.

Who would your 10 be looking at what we have? It's hard to know where Hayes and Smith are at but I hope it's,

Hump
Jones
Froholdt
Hernandez
Johnson
Beachum
Smith
Hayes
Gaines
Wilkinson

But I'm expecting some surprises. I think we might lose Smith or Hayes.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I'd expect about the same @BritCard.

Outside of Humphries, Johnson, Hernandez, Beachum, and Jones, pretty much everyone is on the bubble though.

OP
OP
BritCard

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Outside of Humphries, Johnson, Hernandez, Beachum, and Jones, pretty much everyone is on the bubble though.

I think Gaines is safe. Very hard to cut 4th round picks unless they outright suck. Froholdt too because of Center depth.

Everyone else is a bun fight for the 3 remaining roster spots.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score

Fair. If some wheat is hiding inside all of the remaining chaff, cool. If not, only the silly contact we gave out to--Froholdt, was it?--makes much of a difference. The problem here is that if we do have some wheat hidden in there, we did ourselves no favors with the 1-year contracts.

We'll see how it all pans out.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Fair. If some wheat is hiding inside all of the remaining chaff, cool. If not, only the silly contact we gave out to--Froholdt, was it?--makes much of a difference. The problem here is that if we do have some wheat hidden in there, we did ourselves no favors with the 1-year contracts.

We'll see how it all pans out.
I'm a big fan of signing backup types to 2-3 year deals and putting the guarantees early. If they work out, you don't have to worry about re-signing them the next offseason.

But it takes two to tango, and most back up types want shorter deals so if they are a success, they can parlay their success into a big contract.