Guardians of the Galaxy

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Okay, so apparently over the course of a few days and one thread, I've become a hated member of this board and a troll. Wow.

I just thought you were being pretty hypocritical. Not a troll.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I just thought you were being pretty hypocritical. Not a troll.

For me, sequels are about timing and quality. Doing a sequel/remake umpteen years later (Mad Max/Dumb and Dumber) irks me. Doing them properly (Iron Man movies, Godfather I and II, hopefully Guardians of the Galaxy) is fine, and indeed enjoyable. Clearly these aren't the only opinions I have on them, but it's the bare bones. Remakes--rarely will I support a remake, although there are some times where they're a good idea.

As far as sequels--those responsible for Godfather III need to be punished :D

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For me, sequels are about timing and quality. Doing a sequel/remake umpteen years later (Mad Max/Dumb and Dumber) irks me. Doing them properly (Iron Man movies, Godfather I and II, hopefully Guardians of the Galaxy) is fine, and indeed enjoyable. Clearly these aren't the only opinions I have on them, but it's the bare bones. Remakes--rarely will I support a remake, although there are some times where they're a good idea.

As far as sequels--those responsible for Godfather III need to be punished :D

I'm fine with sequels and even remakes when they have a reason to make them. And when I say reason I mean beyond greed, laziness or a lack of creativity.

But I'd be okay if they lock up the people responsible for making Godfather 3 and Ocean's 12 and the ones responsible for remaking Arthur and Footloose. We really don't need those people wandering the studio lots of Hollywood.

Steve

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I'm fine with sequels and even remakes when they have a reason to make them. And when I say reason I mean beyond greed, laziness or a lack of creativity.

But I'd be okay if they lock up the people responsible for making Godfather 3 and Ocean's 12 and the ones responsible for remaking Arthur and Footloose. We really don't need those people wandering the studio lots of Hollywood.

Steve

:thumbup:

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didn't realize this until after the movie but Nathan Fillion (for Firefly fans) was the big "bad" blue prisoner that got owned by Groot. LMAO.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Went to see this today. Although a really good movie still not better than Avengers IMO. I am not even sure I liked it as much as the last Captain America. They are hard to compare though because this was more sci-fi and less hero movie. That's why it might not be entirely fair to compare.

In terms of some of things I didn't like....Rocket. Sorry, I was not familiar with the comic and thought the talking raccoon was stupid. The movie didn't change my mind one bit and the closeups of him (like screaming) seemed campy. It is a small nitpick though and didn't detract from my enjoyment of the movie one bit. The other thing was the STINGER after the credits for the most part was a throwaway scene. I would have loved to see a reveal type scene but instead we got a cameo. Most of the older folks knew who it was but almost universally the younger crowd didn't get it or know who it was.

The amount of humor was surprising but it fit within the context of the movie. CP was the perfect choice for Peter Quill. I loved how he kept making earth references and the scene at the end when he "challenged" Ronan was hilarious. The FX were outstanding and some of the scenes in 3D, especially the space scenes, were some of the coolest I have seen in 3D yet.

Looking forward to the sequel and even if you are not a big hero film fan...this is worth seeing if you are a sci-fi fan. It was simply a cool movie and a great way to cap off the summer movie run.

I agree. I wasn't blown away. I guess I went in with my expectations way too high. I did enjoy the humor in the movie which there was a lot of. However I thought the overall story was kind of silly and the villain was really weak and lame.

Also I had a real hard time getting over the scenes of them floating in space without spacesuits. I thought it was a stupid unnecessary scene that could have been pulled off in a better way.

All in all it was a fun movie and I do look forward to seeing the sequel. Still I wouldn't call it one of Marvel's bests. I guess it is what it is, a fun comic book based Summer Blockbuster.

Last edited:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
this wins for the biggest bowl of popcorn fun of the summer. great blockbuster filmmaking. would be a classic if there was any villain to speak of, but it was a damn good time at the theaters.

looking forward to these guys eventually meeting up with the Avengers in Avengers 3 when they all have to work together to take down Thanos (i assume that's where all this is heading eventually).

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
this wins for the biggest bowl of popcorn fun of the summer. great blockbuster filmmaking. would be a classic if there was any villain to speak of, but it was a damn good time at the theaters.

looking forward to these guys eventually meeting up with the Avengers in Avengers 3 when they all have to work together to take down Thanos (i assume that's where all this is heading eventually).

I think this was the main thing that stopped it from being great for me and instead just good.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
No real villain?

He was not memorable whatsoever. Probably the least memorable villain to date in the newer Marvel films. Yondu was not really a full blown bad guy but he by far was much more memorable as a character.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
He was not memorable whatsoever. Probably the least memorable villain to date in the newer Marvel films. Yondu was not really a full blown bad guy but he by far was much more memorable as a character.

It doesn't help that the actor, Lee Pace, while servicable, just isn't that memorable either. Thanos doesn't appear long enough, but the only villain with any personality whatsoever was Nebula, and she had a lot going for her--I thought her character design was spectacular.

I always got the impression that Yondu was actually a good guy hiding underneath his cynicism and gruff exterior. And I believe I read that he was a good guy in the comics as well, but maybe a comic guy can confirm that. He seemed more like a jerky version of Mal Reynolds while Chris Pratt was Han Solo.

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score

Second least memorable. Who was the villain in Thor 2? Some dark elf or something?

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ronan was barely in the movie and wasn't very memorable.

Yep, one of the weakest villians I have seen for a Marvel movie. We had no feeling as to why he hated everyone so much. A little be more of a back story would have helped some. It was just BAM I hate everyone.

My kids wanted to see it and so I went and saw it a second time. As mentioned above I felt Ronin was poorly developed. The other character that didn't do it for me was Gamora. I don't know if it was Zoe's acting or just poor lines that lost me. I just wasn't feeling her character at all.

I actually enjoyed it better the second time as my expectations had been tempered a bunch. One thing that really stood out for me this time was how much I enjoyed the way Chris Pratt nailed Peter. He really did a great job!

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
It doesn't help that the actor, Lee Pace, while servicable, just isn't that memorable either. Thanos doesn't appear long enough, but the only villain with any personality whatsoever was Nebula, and she had a lot going for her--I thought her character design was spectacular.

I always got the impression that Yondu was actually a good guy hiding underneath his cynicism and gruff exterior. And I believe I read that he was a good guy in the comics as well, but maybe a comic guy can confirm that. He seemed more like a jerky version of Mal Reynolds while Chris Pratt was Han Solo.

I should have mentioned her as well but she wasn't developed whatsoever. Aside from design and huge back story potential I didn't mention her because we didn't really get much.

Second least memorable. Who was the villain in Thor 2? Some dark elf or something?

Malekith may not be as memorable as Loki but at least his character was more developed. He had more of a backstory and motivations were clear versus being "mentioned". Not to mention that even his one scene where he killed ****** (Thor's mother) is a massive event in the Thor universe.

We didn't get any of that with Ronin.

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
I should have mentioned her as well but she wasn't developed whatsoever. Aside from design and huge back story potential I didn't mention her because we didn't really get much.

Malekith may not be as memorable as Loki but at least his character was more developed. He had more of a backstory and motivations were clear versus being "mentioned". Not to mention that even his one scene where he killed ****** (Thor's mother) is a massive event in the Thor universe.

We didn't get any of that with Ronin.

I think he was better developed, but for the life of me, I can't remember anything about him a few months after watching the movie. Not sure if Ronin will stick in my mind better, but I suspect he will only because I am a big Lee Pace fan.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think he was better developed, but for the life of me, I can't remember anything about him a few months after watching the movie. Not sure if Ronin will stick in my mind better, but I suspect he will only because I am a big Lee Pace fan.

Yeah, I was thinking more about it from a story impact perspective. Killing the Queen of Asgard....even if you don't remember his name is a pretty big event. As you stated 6 months from now....all I remember about Ronin is being that guy that threw the other big guy into some yellow goo.

I think they missed a huge opportunity in the movie where they alluded to him slaughtering families at "outposts" or something. Had they spent anytime with that....he may have stuck out.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

yeah... that was easily the worst villain. At least I remember Ronan's name and he looked cool.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
speaking of villains...so far, I think this has been Marvel's biggest problem (not that it's a big problem mind you as almost all of their films have been solid, if not spectacular and they are obviously DESTROYING everything in their path at the Box Office). I'm trying to think of the GREAT villains in their movies so far and Loki is really the only truly great villain, and he was beaten in Thor. Whiplash was decent in Iron Man 2, but was lost in the mess of the movie, the Mandarin twist was fun, but it took away from the villainy and Red Skull looked cool, but I never got that next level villainy from him.

I know a lot of people LOVED the Avengers and it was fun as hell, but I always thought making Loki the main villain, leading the whatever they were was what kept that film from being a classic. I'm hoping they raise the bar for Ultron, and with the inevitable Thanos showdown coming in Avengers 3, I hope they start leaning into him a little more before they get there.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
speaking of villains...so far, I think this has been Marvel's biggest problem (not that it's a big problem mind you as almost all of their films have been solid, if not spectacular and they are obviously DESTROYING everything in their path at the Box Office). I'm trying to think of the GREAT villains in their movies so far and Loki is really the only truly great villain, and he was beaten in Thor. Whiplash was decent in Iron Man 2, but was lost in the mess of the movie, the Mandarin twist was fun, but it took away from the villainy and Red Skull looked cool, but I never got that next level villainy from him.

I know a lot of people LOVED the Avengers and it was fun as hell, but I always thought making Loki the main villain, leading the whatever they were was what kept that film from being a classic. I'm hoping they raise the bar for Ultron, and with the inevitable Thanos showdown coming in Avengers 3, I hope they start leaning into him a little more before they get there.

I think in the context of these movies there is an end game which is Thanos which when you look back on all these movies will make more sense. However, when you sit back and think about the bad guys...Loki by far stands out compared to the others. I can't help but think this is somewhat intentional. However, I would like to see stronger villains going forward though and for them to stand a bit on their own. I think when all is said and done you will see that Thanos has been pulling many strings to put things in motion all along (through all the franchises). Just a guess but that feels like where this is headed and maybe why there is not much emphasis on the individual bad guys in the movies?!?

I do disagree in that Avengers is hands down considered a classic already. In part because of Loki and the fact that no movie to date has put an assemble of multiple heroes on one screen like that before and IT WORKED. Years from now, if other franchises and the likes of DC manage to do something similar....Avengers will be considered the standard and the movie that started it all. That to me is the very definition of Classic.

The next 2 Avengers films will be compared to that one. Any DC film from here on out that introduces assembles will be compared to that one.

Last edited:

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Out of all the villains, she was the most developed. Daughter of Thanos, not his favorite, evil to the core, hated her sisters, but Gamora the least...

True, not much, but more than Ronan and more than Thanos.

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Finally saw this tonight, in IMAX 3D, no less, and......

Sweet-weepin'-gee-a-zuz!!! Outstanding movie! Every character was great, including Rocket. Great humor, fantastic visuals, evil bad characters and a fun story. A 5 star movie in its genre.

I will own this one..... and can't wait for the next installment.