Guardians of the Galaxy

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IMO that has Joss Whedon written all over it. Several of the writers of the recent movies have mentioned Joss's help with script problems. Also, I am sure he has a hand in picking writing talent.

It's not an easy thing. People who never watched shows like Buffy, Angel or Firefly don't get that he was a master at interweaving humor and drama in the same episodes of his shows. He is a master at the timing of those kinds of things and it's not easy to pull off IMO.

I have seen plenty of movies crash and burn when they try it.

Whedon has definitely had the biggest hand in Marvel's second wave, but a ton of credit has to go to Favreau for what he did with the first Iron Man, which started the entire Marvel juggernaut.

That was the first superhero movie since probably the original spiderman that was just as much fun as it was exciting. Without that movie being the smash it was, Marvel would have had a tough time getting all this off the ground. People have ot remember that Iron Man was looked at as a huge gamble. Not only was he a lesser known superhero (not even close to the realm of Bats, Supes, Spidey or even the X-men as far as general public awareness), but Robert Downey Jr. was a HUGE RISK, had never headlined a major box office winner. But Favreau's touch directing and help with the script put that series on the map and within the biz, he was pretty influential getting the first wave of Marvel's plan off the ground.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Whedon has definitely had the biggest hand in Marvel's second wave, but a ton of credit has to go to Favreau for what he did with the first Iron Man, which started the entire Marvel juggernaut.

That was the first superhero movie since probably the original spiderman that was just as much fun as it was exciting. Without that movie being the smash it was, Marvel would have had a tough time getting all this off the ground. People have ot remember that Iron Man was looked at as a huge gamble. Not only was he a lesser known superhero (not even close to the realm of Bats, Supes, Spidey or even the X-men as far as general public awareness), but Robert Downey Jr. was a HUGE RISK, had never headlined a major box office winner. But Favreau's touch directing and help with the script put that series on the map and within the biz, he was pretty influential getting the first wave of Marvel's plan off the ground.

No doubt Favreau should get credit for getting this thing started with his vision but I give alot of credit to writers of the first as well for taking the time to get it right. That's not even debatable. I was not trying to devalue any other contributions to the Marvel Universe. Whedon didn't do it all by himself which is not what I was suggesting.

My only point with Whedon is that you can see his finger prints on all things Marvel now and the reason why the studio gave him the keys in the first place. It's a good thing. He has a track record with identifying talent (writers, producers, directors and actors). For example, Guardians is now the biggest hit of 2014 and Whedon pitched Gunn and fought for him to get the job. After the first version of the script came out...Whedon wasn't happy because he felt it didn't feel enough like a Gunn film and encouraged him to put more of his style in the script. He also helped out with script problems on several of the recent films. Just a few examples.

It's a good thing. I mean I love the DC properties and I could tell you I would much rather have Whedon versus Snyder and it's not even close. He is going to move on at some point. To be honest....my dream would be for him to either tackle some Star Wars stuff or some of his original properties now that he has come clout.

Last edited:

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No doubt Favreau should get credit for getting this thing started with his vision but I give alot of credit to writers of the first as well for taking the time to get it right. That's not even debatable.

it actually is. Favreau did a ton of uncredited rewrites on that script (as he does most of the stuff he directs... people forget his big break was writing Swingers) and he was one of the biggest voices shaping Marvel universe's first wave.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
it actually is. Favreau did a ton of uncredited rewrites on that script (as he does most of the stuff he directs... people forget his big break was writing Swingers) and he was one of the biggest voices shaping Marvel universe's first wave.

You misunderstood and I was not very clear. I meant the writing had a big part in the success of the first Iron Man. That was not debatable. In terms of the first wave, I am not sure where you draw the line...Iron Man 2 and the first Captain America were nothing to write home about. The 2nd wave of films is much stronger IMO.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You misunderstood and I was not very clear. I meant the writing had a big part in the success of the first Iron Man. That was not debatable. In terms of the first wave, I am not sure where you draw the line...Iron Man 2 and the first Captain America were nothing to write home about. The 2nd wave of films is much stronger IMO.

The second wave has definitely been better, but again, the second wave is a product of Thor and Cap 1 being very successful films for secondary superheroes, producing solid hits, which Whedon then put together perfectly to bring Marvel into another stratosphere.

Iron Man 2 was probably the weakest of all the first wave films (outside of the Norton Hulk), but it still made over 300 million (more then Man Of Steel or any of the new Spiderman movies).

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The second wave has definitely been better, but again, the second wave is a product of Thor and Cap 1 being very successful films for secondary superheroes, producing solid hits, which Whedon then put together perfectly to bring Marvel into another stratosphere.

Iron Man 2 was probably the weakest of all the first wave films (outside of the Norton Hulk), but it still made over 300 million (more then Man Of Steel or any of the new Spiderman movies).

What did you think of the Norton Hulk versus the first? I enjoyed it much better versus the over stylized first Hulk which was uber boring.

Am really excited about the new movie despite the first two missteps to see what they can do with a revitalized character. Did they announce who would be writing or directing that one? I didn't think they did but Whedon is the only one to nail the character IMO.

Reaction score
What did you think of the Norton Hulk versus the first? I enjoyed it much better versus the over stylized first Hulk which was uber boring.

Am really excited about the new movie despite the first two missteps to see what they can do with a revitalized character. Did they announce who would be writing or directing that one? I didn't think they did but Whedon is the only one to nail the character IMO.

Ed Norton as the Hulk is by far the best imo. Norton is one of my favorite actors.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I thought it was okay... nothing really that great or that bad about it. And oddly enough, even though Whedon nailed the Hulk in Avengers, so far, there's no plans to make a solo Hulk movie on the upcoming Marvel slate. I think that's pretty weird, but maybe they figure he's just a better piece of an ensemble, less is more kinda thing with him.

Hulk was DEFINITELY the highlight of the Avengers though. Punching Thor and thrashing Loki were probably my favorite two moments of any Marvel movie.

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
Yeah, she's great but Jenna Louise-Coleman has moved Amelia to second place on my modern Who companion list. It's a bit disappointing to hear that she will probably exit the series in the next Christmas special.

Steve

Jenna is beautiful but I still like Amy and Rory better so far. I started watching the series at the beginning of the 11th doctor, btw.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought it was okay... nothing really that great or that bad about it. And oddly enough, even though Whedon nailed the Hulk in Avengers, so far, there's no plans to make a solo Hulk movie on the upcoming Marvel slate. I think that's pretty weird, but maybe they figure he's just a better piece of an ensemble, less is more kinda thing with him.

Hulk was DEFINITELY the highlight of the Avengers though. Punching Thor and thrashing Loki were probably my favorite two moments of any Marvel movie.

I think it's a very hard property to nail. Maybe he is just not a carry the entire movie type of character. I don't think, unless I mistaken, that Marvel has announced every movie through 2019. They only named some of them officially. So maybe there is a chance. Mark Ruffalo confirmed Marvel said it's back on the table. I would like them to take another stab at it but to be honest, unless Whedon is writing, I would be hesitant.

By the way. I am with you 100%. Those two scenes are probably my favorite two of any Marvel films to date.

Last edited:

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Loki: Enough! You are, all of you are beneath me! I am a god, you dull creature, and I will not be bullied by...

[Hulk flattens Loki with repeated smashes into the floor]

The Hulk: Puny god.

:D

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I think it's a very hard property to nail. Maybe he is just not a carry the entire movie type of character. I don't think, unless I mistaken, that Marvel has announced every movie through 2019. They only named some of them officially. So maybe there is a chance. Mark Ruffalo confirmed Marvel said it's back on the table. I would like them to take another stab at it but to be honest, unless Whedon is writing, I would be hesitant.

By the way. I am with you 100%. Those two scenes are probably my favorite two of any Marvel films to date.

I'm not sure he can carry his own movie, but I was actually surprised he didn't make an appearance in Iron Man 3. I think Stark and Banner would be a pairing that makes sense. I get the feeling that Hulk would be better served as part of a duo in a film -- but probably not with Thor, mainly Cap and Iron Man.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure he can carry his own movie, but I was actually surprised he didn't make an appearance in Iron Man 3. I think Stark and Banner would be a pairing that makes sense. I get the feeling that Hulk would be better served as part of a duo in a film -- but probably not with Thor, mainly Cap and Iron Man.

I'd think Marvel doesn't want to over-expose any of their characters and with Iron Man 3 sure to be a box-office bonanza coming off the Avengers, I gotta believe the thought process was keep Hulk as an extra benefit in another movie to try and drive box office receipts... maybe pairing him with one of the non-Iron Man avengers in a team up movie. I'd agree with you about Cap, but it seems like he's established himself now as not needing a major sidekick to drive box office receipts.

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Wow! Lots of talk just over a movie! Love it!! :D

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Guardians Of The Galaxy Hits $305.9 Million At U.S. Box Office, $611.5 Million At Worldwide Box Office

http://comicbook.com/2014/09/14/guardians-of-galaxy-hits-305-million-at-u-s-box-office-611-5-mil/

According to official estimates, Guardians of the Galaxy now stands at a total of $305.9 million at the U.S box office and $611.5 million at the worldwide box office. The film just opened in Japan this weekend, which should help to boost its international box office in the coming days. Guardians of the Galaxy has yet to open in either China or Italy. The film will open in China on October 10 and in Italy on October 22.

:jedi:

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Guardians Of The Galaxy Hits $305.9 Million At U.S. Box Office, $611.5 Million At Worldwide Box Office

http://comicbook.com/2014/09/14/guardians-of-galaxy-hits-305-million-at-u-s-box-office-611-5-mil/

According to official estimates, Guardians of the Galaxy now stands at a total of $305.9 million at the U.S box office and $611.5 million at the worldwide box office. The film just opened in Japan this weekend, which should help to boost its international box office in the coming days. Guardians of the Galaxy has yet to open in either China or Italy. The film will open in China on October 10 and in Italy on October 22.

:jedi:

Looks like a billion dollar baby...... ;)

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
Pretty amazing for a guy that wasn't even supposed to be a regular on Parks and Recreation but was so good he had to be written in.

OP
OP
Brian in Mesa

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I give this movie 5/5. I thought it would be stupid, and it was. Stupidly entertaining!!!

Really looking forward to the sequel. I preferred this one slightly over the Avengers. Although that one scene with Groot made me remember the thoroughly enjoyable Hulk vs. Loki scene.

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I give this movie 5/5. I thought it would be stupid, and it was. Stupidly entertaining!!!

Really looking forward to the sequel. I preferred this one slightly over the Avengers. Although that one scene with Groot made me remember the thoroughly enjoyable Hulk vs. Loki scene.

I am Groot!

:D

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score

I can't give it a 5/5 for two reasons. Talking Raccoon and the villains were incredibly forgettable. Ronan the Accuser? I thought Mario and his hammer was more menacing in Donkey Kong. They should have called him Ronan..the Guy Who Stands There. Although....not nearly as catchy.

Although some other characters were awesome in the movie. I hope they spend a little more time making the villains better. Looking forward to a sequel as well. Movie had a ton of action and the right mix of humor.

Last edited: