Guardians of the Galaxy

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I can't give it a 5/5 for two reasons. Talking Raccoon and the villains were incredibly forgettable. Ronan the Accuser? I thought Mario and his hammer was more menacing in Donkey Kong. They should have called him Ronan..the Guy Who Stands There. Although....not nearly as catchy.

Although some other characters were awesome in the movie. I hope they spend a little more time making the villains better. Looking forward to a sequel as well. Movie had a ton of action and the right mix of humor.

Come on, what was wrong with Rocket? I thought they did a great job with him.

Now, the villain issue I agree with, although I loved Nebula as a villain. She was the only one developed of the villains, so that's not surprising.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Come on, what was wrong with Rocket? I thought they did a great job with him.

Now, the villain issue I agree with, although I loved Nebula as a villain. She was the only one developed of the villains, so that's not surprising.

First, it was a talking raccoon. Second, Rocket spent much of the movie yelling and the camera doing closeups of him yelling. I don't have Jar Jar hate for him but that doesn't mean I like him as a character that much either. Overall the character is dumb and works from a cartoony/comic book perspective but live action? Meh. Again, I get why fans think it's cool but by far my least favorite of the characters.

By the way I loved Nebula but in a sense that made it worse because IMO she was completely underdeveloped. They didn't really explore that much at all. I would have loved to see more. Either way she was much more interesting versus Ronan.

Last edited:

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
First, it was a talking raccoon. Second, Rocket spent much of the movie yelling and the camera doing closeups of him yelling. I don't have Jar Jar hate for him but that doesn't mean I like him as a character that much either. Overall the character is dumb and works from a cartoony/comic book perspective but live action? Meh. Again, I get why fans think it's cool but by far my least favorite of the characters.

I thought they did a great job making him the most tragic of the characters (although there is some empathy for Drax losing his family). But I thought his relationship with Groot and his backstory regarding his torture was well done and made him more than just a CGI character. And Bradley Cooper did a surprisingly good job with it.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought they did a great job making him the most tragic of the characters (although there is some empathy for Drax losing his family). But I thought his relationship with Groot and his backstory regarding his torture was well done and made him more than just a CGI character. And Bradley Cooper did a surprisingly good job with it.

I will agree that I think they did the best they could with a talking raccoon. However, I ended up really liking Groot which was a character I also thought I was going to hate. That to me says much considering I liked a character with much less dialogue than Rocket. Drax also ended up being much funnier than I thought as well and the struggles he went through losing him family was much more meaningful to me.

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You guys DO understand that this movie is a seriocomedy, don't you? That being said, I just can't understand why someone would have so much trouble with a talking raccoon. Hell, if THAT gives you trouble, Groot should REALLY piss you off... at least Rocket is a mammal with a brain.... Groot is a friggin' tree, for gawds sake. And faster than light travel, and super gemstones, and artificial gravity, and etc. etc. etc. are all equally preposterous. It's all just supposed to be fun.

Obviously, I though ALL the Guardians were a hoot.... particularly Rocket, with his wise-ass, tough guy talk.

But..... there's something I remember about, "....eye of the beholder...." :cheers:

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
You guys DO understand that this movie is a seriocomedy, don't you? That being said, I just can't understand why someone would have so much trouble with a talking raccoon. Hell, if THAT gives you trouble, Groot should REALLY piss you off... at least Rocket is a mammal with a brain.... Groot is a friggin' tree, for gawds sake. And faster than light travel, and super gemstones, and artificial gravity, and etc. etc. etc. are all equally preposterous. It's all just supposed to be fun.

Obviously, I though ALL the Guardians were a hoot.... particularly Rocket, with his wise-ass, tough guy talk.

But..... there's something I remember about, "....eye of the beholder...." :cheers:

My problem isn't with the concept of fantastical creatures in a make believe universe. It's just a talking raccoon is stupid.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can't give it a 5/5 for two reasons. Talking Raccoon and the villains were incredibly forgettable. Ronan the Accuser?

My problem isn't with the concept of fantastical creatures in a make believe universe. It's just a talking raccoon is stupid.

So you'd give the movie 4.5 out of 5 if they'd gone with a deaf and mute raccoon instead? That would still let you knock it down half a notch for the non-memorable villains. :)

Steve

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
So you'd give the movie 4.5 out of 5 if they'd gone with a deaf and mute raccoon instead? That would still let you knock it down half a notch for the non-memorable villains. :)

Steve

The character really annoyed me for some reason but actually it didn't ruin the movie or anything. I give it....4/5 for me. Honestly, like I said it's not Jar Jar type hate and if the Villains were awesome in the movie, I probably would have overlooked the stupid talking raccoon all together. Honestly, my biggest beef was simply that Ronan was one of the most forgettable villains yet in any Marvel movie. As Chap pointed out some of the secondary characters were much better.

UncleChris

Shocking, I tell you!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The character really annoyed me for some reason but actually it didn't ruin the movie or anything. I give it....4/5 for me. Honestly, like I said it's not Jar Jar type hate and if the Villains were awesome in the movie, I probably would have overlooked the stupid talking raccoon all together. Honestly, my biggest beef was simply that Ronan was one of the most forgettable villains yet in any Marvel movie. As Chap pointed out some of the secondary characters were much better.

I am Groot!!

:D

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Movie poster in China. The title translates to: "Interplanetary Unusual Attacking Team"

Never knew they could change peoples names to Chinese symbols. News to me.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Marvel announced because of movie success new animated version coming to DisneyXD.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Marvel announced because of movie success new animated version coming to DisneyXD.

they also just announced that Cap 3 will star RDJ and will be the beginning of the Civil War... Cap v. Iron Man!

man... they are going to own movie theaters until the end of time.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Civil war will be cool but I think fans might be in for a tad disappointment when it comes to translation. Just like the X-Men franchise figured out, on screen, less is sometimes more when it comes to live action.

Does anybody really think they are going to bring on an epic number of characters? I say no. You will see the characters from the existing movies and the Guardians and that's about it. You might see a few more but from both a budget, writing and practicality scale? I would say don't depend on some epic Comic Book style war. Having said that....it should be damn cool.

On a side note, looks like Whedon won't be around to see the end of it either. His contract to run all things Marvel is over in 2015 and they are talking the Russo brothers to helm the next Avengers. I hope he stays on as Executive Producer until this continuity runs it's course but I don't blame him either for moving on to other stuff. Most of the actors we have also appear to be running on borrowed time as well. Which will probably kick off the New Avengers or something like that.

Maybe Whedon can get some love on Trek or Star Wars. Either that or visit his older properties. They said he will definitely do some contributing to script writing on Shield post Avengers 2.

Last edited:

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
The Civil war will be cool but I think fans might be in for a tad disappointment when it comes to translation. Just like the X-Men franchise figured out, on screen, less is sometimes more when it comes to live action.

Does anybody really think they are going to bring on an epic number of characters? I say no. You will see the characters from the existing movies and the Guardians and that's about it. You might see a few more but from both a budget, writing and practicality scale? I would say don't depend on some epic Comic Book style war. Having said that....it should be damn cool.

On a side note, looks like Whedon won't be around to see the end of it either. His contract to run all things Marvel is over in 2015 and they are talking the Russo brothers to helm the next Avengers. I hope he stays on as Executive Producer until this continuity runs it's course but I don't blame him either for moving on to other stuff. Most of the actors we have also appear to be running on borrowed time as well. Which will probably kick off the New Avengers or something like that.

Maybe Whedon can get some love on Trek or Star Wars. Either that or visit his older properties. They said he will definitely do some contributing to script writing on Shield post Avengers 2.

I think when they split, there will be 2 new teams formed, mostly from previously unseen characters. And that will launch a new phase for Marvel spin-off franchises. So we may not get all the A-list heroes, but we may get more B-level guys that the studio will try to elevate.

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
We watched it again last night. Man....it didn't change my view of Rocket or Ronan the villain who stands there....and stands there....and stares....and talks. Everything else held up and I can't wait for the next installment.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard