Gonzo not happy with Kendrick

Lefty

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Looks like Kendrick has his own suspicions. Also, read the end of the article about Gonzo and next year, it's not good. Maybe Kendrick is trying to piss Gonzo so he'll accept a trade this year?

PHOENIX -- Arizona left fielder Luis Gonzalez reacted angrily Thursday after the Diamondbacks' top executive told a newspaper there have been "whispers" about whether the five-time All-Star used performance-enhancing drugs.

Diamondbacks managing general partner Ken Kendrick did not accuse his team's most popular player of cheating. But he mentioned Gonzalez's name in a rambling interview with The Arizona Republic about steroids in baseball, which prompted Gonzalez to call a news conference two hours before the Diamondbacks hosted the San Francisco Giants on Thursday.

"Just to have your name thrown in it -- I've had phone calls from 7:30 this morning till right now," Gonzalez said. "I don't want to be in this situation. I don't think any of my teammates do.

"He's trying to protect the game of baseball in his own way," Gonzalez said, referring to Kendrick. "It's unfortunate that I almost have to sit here today to defend myself for no reason."

In the interview, Kendrick said, "I'll be blunt with you and say there have been certainly whispers about Luis Gonzalez. Because he's such a high-profile guy and you can make a case of his numbers five years ago versus his numbers today and therefore he must have been doing something. Well, he's also five years older."

Gonzalez hit 57 homers in 2001, the year the Diamondbacks won the World Series. His previous high was 31 homers, and he hasn't hit more than 28 in a season since.

Kendrick stressed that "I don't have any suspicions about Luis Gonzalez. Any more than I would about any other player."

Kendrick's remarks -- and Gonzalez's quick response -- came nine days after the Diamondbacks learned that federal agents had searched reliever Jason Grimsley's home in an investigation into performance-enhancing drugs. The team released Grimsley on June 7 and doesn't want to pay him the remainder of his $825,000 salary.

Asked if he believed Grimsley was the only Diamondbacks player to use performance-enhancing drugs, Kendrick told the newspaper, "Absolutely, I don't think he is."

Team spokesman Mike Swanson said Kendrick would not comment any further.

The Diamondbacks were 1-7 since the news about Grimsley broke. They entered Thursday's game tied for first place in the NL West despite the recent off-the-field turmoil.

"It's been a rough week for [Kendrick], and of course, today's been a rough day for me, too, just by going through this," Gonzalez said. "My focus is to play baseball. When I woke up this morning and see something like that on the front page, that's definitely not the way I want to start my morning."

Gonzalez said he spoke briefly to Kendrick on Wednesday after learning that the interview was going to be published. Asked if "fences need to be mended," Gonzalez replied, "No. He's my boss. My job is to go out there and play. He signs my check and the other owners sign my check, and my commitment is to my teammates and to the fans."

Gonzalez acknowledged that his name was raised in steroid-related speculation after his big 2001 season.

"In this decade of baseball right now that we're going through, there's always the speculation of things," Gonzalez said. "2001 always comes up for me with the 57 home runs. It was a great year for me. That's all I can say."

Gonzalez and the Diamondbacks have a $10 million mutual option on his contract for next year. Gonzalez said Kendrick's comments would not diminish his desire to finish his career in Arizona.

"Whether the organization wants me or not, that's something else," Gonzalez said.

FinleyLover

Veteran
Reaction score
I seriously doubt that he will be back for the option year- between his continuing decline (from age, not steroid un-usage) and now this, I would pu the chances of his return at less than 10%.
Before yesterdays game, he and Steve Finley spent about 5-7 minutes in shallow center talking instead of stretching/warming up. You could tell what they were talking about. Steve was probably asking his old friend what the hell was going on with Kendrick.
You gotta wonder now, if Kendrick claims that he doesn't suspect Gonzo but was just using him as an example, what is he going to do to those that he DOES strongly suspect? Yikes. This could be get really ugly.
The comment he made about players being "quietly" let go just screams the name Troy Glaus. I was so bewildered why he just suddenly wasn't there when the organization had done nothing but rave about him earlier. You can also add Shey Hillenbrand and Reggie Sanders as well.

coyoteshockeyfan

Fool In The Rain
Supporting Member
Reaction score
http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/index.php?sty=67800

Gonzalez is a natural target of speculation because of his 57-home run season in the D-Backs’ 2001 World Series year, Kendrick said Thursday in published reports, although he did not accuse Gonzalez. The D-Backs also hope to implement a strict policy on two-time drug cheats, Kendrick said Thursday, and discreetly disposed of several of them before he assumed control of franchise operations in 2004.

“I was disappointed in how careless he was in associating Luis with a topic he has nothing to do with,’’ said longtime D-Backs teammate Counsell, whose locker is next to Gonzalez’s.

Kendrick apologized to Gonzalez and the team at a meeting in the clubhouse two hours before Thursday’s game, moments before Gonzalez held his own press conference to reassert that his career year in 2001 was done without the help of illegal enhancements, a charge that has followed him since he has not hit more than 28 home runs in a season thereafter. “He’s trying to protect the game of baseball in his own way,’’ Gonzalez said of Kendrick.

“It’s unfortunate I have to defend myself for no reason. That (drug cheat) is not me. In this decade of baseball, there is always a speculation of things — 2001 always comes up with me.

“It was a great year. It was a storybook year from start to finish, from opening day hitting home runs to being named to start the All-Star game to the game-winning blooper’’ in Game 7 of the World Series.

“I have never tried any enhancing stuff to try to get bigger. I’ve been a whopping 200 pounds from Day 1. I’ve tried to gain weight. The fast-food diet doesn’t work for me. I’ve tried it with my kids.’’

In 2001, Gonzalez became the second player in major league history — Babe Ruth is the other — to hit at least .325 with 50 home runs, 100 extra-base hits, 120 runs, 120 RBIs, 100 walks and 400 total bases.

“Just to have your name thrown in it . . . I’ve had phone calls from seven-thirty this morning to right now,’’ Gonzalez said.

“I don’t want to be in this situation. I don’t think any of my teammates do.’’

Gonzalez reiterated it does not affect his desire to return to the D-Backs, however. He and the team have a mutual option worth $10 million for 2007, and the D-Backs appear interested in less costly options.

“I’ve always said that I’m a Diamondback,’’ Gonzalez said. “Whether the organization wants me or not, that’s something else.’’

The D-Backs became a focal point of the Internal Revenue Service’s investigation into illegal performance-enhancing drugs in the major leagues when reliever Jason Grimsley was caught with a shipment of human growth hormone April 19.

Grimsley asked for and was granted his release June 7 and was suspended for 50 games by major league baseball Monday.

The previous Saturday, Kendrick said the D-Backs would not pay the remaining $527,000 on Grimsley’s guaranteed contract because he was in violation because he was not fit to play.

The players’ union has said it will file a grievance on that issue.

The D-Backs are considering a policy in which players would be on notice that a second failed drug test could be cause for trade or release.

They also rid themselves of several “potential time bombs in the waiting’’ under previous ownership, Kendrick said.

Kendrick refused to name names, but did say those players are no longer in the game.

The D-Backs will “play within the rules,’’ Kendrick said, but do not and will not embrace serial offenders.

As far as a specific code of conduct regarding implied penalties for repeat use, Counsell added:

“We work under a collective bargaining agreement that determines our rules in the workplace.’’

“Unless he wants to collectively bargain it, it’s not going to happen.’’ Kendrick said Thursday he has been accused of “grandstanding’’ in coming down hard on drug abusers, but said he believes it has to be said.

“If it’s on the radar screen of a lot of people — and it is on the radar screen of MLB and the union — and we can bring a better program to the sport, then I will have accomplished something,’’ Kendrick said.

“If it doesn’t do anything but bring ridicule on me for tilting at windmills, that’s OK. I will feel like I tried.’’
Interesting article. Also, it will be interesting to see if Kendrick is able to implement this tougher "code of conduct," considering players are already trying to hide behind the CBA.

Burg72

Registered
Reaction score
It's funny that the diamondbacks won't let Kendrick speak about the matter anymore.

green machine

I rule at posting
Reaction score
Kendrick didn't say anything new, he didn't bring to light anything new. People have suspected Gonzo since it happened, and to me all Kendrick did was acknowledge that people have suspected Gonzo, not that he's suspected him.

Skkorpion

Grey haired old Bird
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not particularly happy with Gonzales myself, but it is about his lousy play. Funny how the decline has been so rapid.

Ryanwb

ASFN IDOL
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I think it's safe to say that this is Gonzo's swan song with the D'backs

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Right, wrong or otherwise, Kendrick made a fool of himself, by engaging his mouth before his brain.

Maybe he needs a Press Secretary. Or maybe just invest his money and let the baseball people handle that side of the business.

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
Gonzo needs to shut his pie hole and play baseball.

How long are we gonna have to watch his geriatric fit before they try something new out there?

MigratingOsprey

Thank You Paul!
Reaction score
i agree that this is nothing new - if he was blind to the whispers (shouts in some cases) about his decline than he needs to take his head out

i'm sure he's more upset about having ken pretty much call him declining (and his numbers back it) - only thing is, gonzo is a great community guy and very popular, so he had to expect some backlash, even if being honest and talking about what everyone already knew

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard