Giving Props to the Cardinals

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
I will be the first to say that as a fan the free agency period for the Cardinals was not what I expected.

However, in light of the Cardinals' draft, there UDFA signings and their recent veteran acquisitions (C/G Tony Bergstrom, CB Jumal Rolle and QB Blaine Gabbert), having a broader and more specific view of the off-season plan and the big picture, I am feeling very encouraged.

The early FA signings of S Antoine Bethea, LB Karlos Dansby and K Phil Dawson, plus the re-signings of DE Chandler Jones, DE Josh Mauro, TE Jermaine Greshman and DE Frostee Rucker, coupled with the restructured contracts of CB Justin Bethel and S Tyvon Branch are looking brighter by the day, particularly because of the influx of youth that Steve Keim has amassed in recent weeks.

I am also becoming more and more cognizant of how important it was for the Cardinals to re-establish the integrity and character of the locker room. Judging by how excited and rejuvenated BA and SK are, it feels like the Cardinals are getting back to basics and holding the themselves to the highest priorities and standards.

Off the field, the Cardinals are hitting home runs left and right. BA and is wife have done a fabulous job with their charity to help aid and prevent child abuse, The Arians Family Foundation. In a recent interview, Michael Bidwill raved about Larry Fitzgerald's philanthropy, not only for winning the Walter Payton Man of the Year Award, but by giving so generously to the community and ways that few people know. Bidwill alluded to Fitz's efforts this past Thanksgiving when following a full, physically demanding practice, he ate a quick Thanksgiving dinner at home with his family and then went to help feed the forlorn and homeless and after that went to cheer up and play with a host of children in the hospital. Larry Legend at his finest.

Then there's the recent work that Patrick Peterson and his wife have been doing in Haiti for the Mission of Hope program. Not only did they bring food and water to those living in abject poverty, they have committed to building three new houses for families that lost their houses in the hurricanes.

Back to football side of things, the prep work the veterans are putting in to this season is becoming very obvious. For example, Tyrann Mathieu and Brandon Williams have packed 10+ pounds of muscle to their frames. David Johnson has been working out like a warrior. John Brown is back to full health and running like the Smoke of old.

Furthermore, it makes me proud of the way that Michael Bidwill handled the Daryl Washington situation. Bidwill is willing to give players chances to redeem themselves, but only if he is convinced that those players are humble, contrite and sincere....and that they truly understand the gravity of their situations. There is no doubt in my mind that Bidwill would have supported Michael Floyd had he been remorseful for his DUI. Just as there is no doubt in my mind that Bidwill would have give Daryl Washington a chance to redeem himself, had Washington shown the appropriate gratitude. As hard as it was for Bidwill to let Floyd go...the Cardinals have been trending upward ever since. Bidwill is hinging his vision on team character and leadership and at this point he is not going to compromise that vision one iota.

What's equally exciting is how well the Cardinals are building for the present and the future. Having 4 compensatory picks in next year's draft is a boon. Plus, despite not reaching for a QB in this year's draft, which Steve Keim was adamant he would not do, I think it was a superb move to sign QB Blaine Gabbert. Gabbert gets a year to audition for the starting job in 2018. BA likes his size, smarts and athleticism and feels that he can coach Gabbert to master the nuances of QB play. We know how loyal BA has been to Carson Palmer and Drew Stanton...but adding Gabbert to the mix at QB shows that BA is willing to try to overlook loyalties for the sake of possible short and long term improvements.

Another significant chance that i sense is that BA appears to more willing and eager to assimilate the rookies and younger players into active roles. This recent draft has captured BA's imagination. Chances are that several of the draftees will earn significant roles in the weekly game plans. The mixing of veteran leadership with youthful exuberance should be very exciting to watch.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It has been made clear through multiple outlets that we offered D Washington the minimum pay, he turned it down and we cut him. LEts stop talking about how the ORG took a moral high ground or anything of that nature. We offered him to work for the NFLs minimum wage, he declined, we cut him.

BillsCarnage

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
It has been made clear through multiple outlets that we offered D Washington the minimum pay, he turned it down and we cut him. LEts stop talking about how the ORG took a moral high ground or anything of that nature. We offered him to work for the NFLs minimum wage, he declined, we cut him.
True, but why would he take a pay cut? He was slated to make more than the minimum and evidently he and his agent seem to think he can get that again.

Probably foolish for them to think that considering his situation, but hey, not the Cards problem anymore.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
John Brown is back to full health and running like the Smoke of old.

That is what people are SAYING, till I see the guy do it on the field, on game day, it is all talk.

Another significant chance that i sense is that BA appears to more willing and eager to assimilate the rookies and younger players into active roles.

Never understood why people say this, there are A LOT of rookies that Bruce Arians sent out there for there rookie year to contribute. He just does not put anyone out on the field before they are ready to do so. That is just sane logic. Humphries, and Nkemdiche were not ready, John Brown, Rodney Gunter, JJ Nelson, David Johnson, and Tyrann Mathieu obviously were.

Good post, I think the Cardinals learned their lesson when they tried to fix the secondary last offseason when it wasn't broke. Say what you want about Jerraud Powers, or Rashad Johnson, they brought something to the team that when they left, it left.

In a world of video games, stats, numbers, and advanced states, there will NEVER be anything that can measure chemistry, and intangibles. We will see if the current influx of experience translates into a more cohesive group. But, we won't know about that till September.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
True, but why would he take a pay cut? He was slated to make more than the minimum and evidently he and his agent seem to think he can get that again.

Probably foolish for them to think that considering his situation, but hey, not the Cards problem anymore.

I'm fine with him refusing it, just trying to get rid of this narrative that we cut him without offering him a spot on the team. Its not true.

Reddog

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I didn't take Mitch's post that way. I think had Washington been more willing to accept a reasonable minimum wage it would have demonstrated an appropriate awareness of what he did to this organization...Mitch's litmus test was "humble, contrite and sincere....and that they truly understand the gravity of their situations. Had he done so we might have given him a shot in camp but that all. Had he killed it on the field and continued to prove the character issues were in the past, we could keep him or trade him. I am with Mitch, I trust Bidwill's process and assessment and decisiveness.

Brak

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

Why? Because he already stole millions before getting his A$$ suspended, for which the Cardinals got bupkis other being stuck carrying it on their cap number. If the guy had a conscience, he would have taken the minimum as a way to try to help give back some of what he stole. Also, no doubt that "minimum" deal would have included playing time incentives, so if he truly were able to contribute, he would have been further compensated.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Time to relegate DW to the Cardinal history books.

Onward!

+1

Right ? I mean people can discuss what they want, but there is a 14 page Daryl Washington thread, go there and talk about it. Because there may be posters that want to talk about other things on other threads.

Washington is no longer a Cardinal, hasn't played in 3 years, has spent 1/2 his career suspended, and we have Reddick, Dansby, and Bucanon here to talk about.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why? Because he already stole millions before getting his A$$ suspended, for which the Cardinals got bupkis other being stuck carrying it on their cap number. If the guy had a conscience, he would have taken the minimum as a way to try to help give back some of what he stole. Also, no doubt that "minimum" deal would have included playing time incentives, so if he truly were able to contribute, he would have been further compensated.

Yeah, you can think about it that way. Players also retroactively get signing bonuses because they outplayed their first contract and were vastly underpaid. It isn't just about what they will do in the future.

I wish he would have played for the minimum. Oh well.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
Overall, I like what the Cardinals have done this offseason.

Very shrewd; they did not over spend, added flexibility for the future and I think that overall this team didn't lose talent.

Excited about all of the draft picks; each have a really good chance to make the team. Reddick,Baker, and Dorian have really good chances to be good starters. For some reason I have a gut feeling Chad Williams is going to be a start too. Logan and Ford at a minimum should be good special teamers.

Plus FOUR comp picks next year!!!

RedRob

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Mitch - Great post. For those long time fans I'm still so appreciative as to the stark difference this organization is today versus what it was in the not so distant past.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
When it comes to personnel decisions, there are FO's who seem to be winging it, playing to the galleries etc. and there are those more disciplined operations who develop and stick to a plan. (The Cards weren't always like that, but of late, we can count them among the latter).

Only danger in doing so is when a FO plays things too conservatively, avoids any semblance of risk and their team ends up on the wrong sside of meh.

Just as BA wants his offense to "go for the biscuit", there are times when you want your FO to roll the dice and go for it.

Knowing when to hold or fold plays an essential part in the art of running a pro football team. I think signing Gabbert was a calculated mini-move shot at front office "chunk yardage."

We'll see over the next several months how it all played out.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
This. It shows a genuine lack of character on his part. Also a lack of remorse for how things turned out. He owed this fan base at the VERY LEAST. We went to the NFC conference championship game, he could have been a difference maker and helped give us a home game instead of having to play it on the road that season. Don't let the door hit u in your arse...o_O

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Good thread everyone!!

Isn't it great to have a FO that has a plan and executes it very well. Not every draft pick will be a hit nor every FA acquisition but SK has hit for a higher average than many of his peers.

I also like how he utilizes all possible avenues to create a good roster.

In Free Agency he has:
1)gone after big ticket FA's when necessary.
2)has used one year prove deals in FA.
3)gone after solid players with good leadership skills in FA.

If the talent needed isn't available in FA then he has made trades for key pieces.

In the draft he has:
1) moved up and down the draft board to maximize value and ensure he get's players he truly covets.
2) taken some chances on talent that had some red flags but had huge upside.

SK is constantly bringing in players to try to upgrade the roster and let every player know that they have to work and produce to remain on the team. I believe it's every Tuesday he brings in players to try out for the team.

I also believe he is a very hard critic of his own performance and has learned from mistakes and make the proper adjustments.