Giants at the Cardinals gameday thread 9-17-23

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
They didn't lose because of competence. They lost because injuries forced them to play their starting DT's 74% of the time. And their linebackers and safeties nearly 100%.

Defense was just gassed by midway through Q3 and there were no options with multiple guys out.

You must be registered for see images attach
Man, if only the roster had been constructed with the idea that sometimes players get injured. Especially oft-injured players.

Nothing you can do if your replacement-level DL goes down. The NFL limits how many DL you can have on your roster at once, just like you have to have 9 OLBs but only play four of them.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Everyone says this, but it is garbage.

This has been going on for years - even when we are a playoff team. How about when we were 11-5 in 2014 and Arians was our coach? The next season we went 13-3, but still had to use silent counts at home because of the noise from the opposing fans in our stadium.

Arians was quoted on it many times.

“Wish it wouldn’t happen right now,” Cardinals coach Bruce Arians said. “We would hope that the visiting team wouldn’t get that many tickets and have to use a silent count at home.”

“What cost him was crowd noise,” Arians said. “He couldn’t hear early in the game because the crowd noise got us at home.”

They “have way too many tickets,” Arians said.

Winning doesn't make much difference in this town. Just means that sellout fans can sell their tickets for even more to opposing fans. (Yes, there are ticket brokers, too, but there are still plenty of sellout fans).
This is baloney. It takes more than one or two seasons to build a rabid fan base. One year of winning doesn’t guarantee a full stadium the next. Guys, we gotta be more reasonable with expectations. When an organization has built up decades of “negative goodwill” it takes time to unwind that.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Yup. We were 7-0 in 2021 and the home game vs the Packers was a see of Packers fans. In fact rumours were that Green didn't hear the audible at the end of the game when driving for the win that resulted in an INT and lost us the game.

"If you build it, they will come" is a BS reason anyway. If you buy the tickets you go to the games. If you're only going to go if you feel sufficiently entertained then don't buy a season ticket.

The true fans, the ones that will always have my respect, are those that go to every game no matter what.
The lack of understanding how seasons tickets works is disturbing. If anyone that was going to sell their season tickets no longer bought season tickets guess what would happen? Opposing fans would buy them. It’s not like magically some cardinal fans would appear that weren’t getting the option to buy them before becasue of season ticket holders.

As for BIMs anger about those that wear red for 16 games and blue for one - I get it - but at least they’re wearing red for those other 16 games. Know who would be sitting in those seats if it wasn’t them? Opposing fans.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Man, if only the roster had been constructed with the idea that sometimes players get injured. Especially oft-injured players.

Nothing you can do if your replacement-level DL goes down. The NFL limits how many DL you can have on your roster at once, just like you have to have 9 OLBs but only play four of them.

What a crock.

What team carries enough DL, or enough quality DL, to compensate for losing 3 of their 5 man rotation?

And you said before the season started that this would be one of the worst interiors that would get run over and we would have no pass rush. Both of which have been vastly wrong.

Reactions: urs

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
What a crock.

What team carries enough DL, or enough quality DL, to compensate for losing 3 of their 5 man rotation?

And you said before the season started that this would be one of the worst interiors that would get run over and we would have no pass rush. Both of which have been vastly wrong.
After two games. Didn’t you learn about taking premature victory laps yesterday?

Collier went on IR midweek. Fotu was limited all week. Plan your roster so you have bodies available for Sunday. This isn’t rocket science.

Outerlimits

Veteran
Reaction score
omg.. 7:41 am here in OK and this loss is still hurting. wow that was painful to experience.

Seeing those awful giants fans cavorting around at State Farm. Disgusting.

Eh. Let them be excited their team had a great comeback against the #32 ranked team in the power rankings.(honestly Chicago should be #32). The Giants will likely finish at best 3rd in their division and maybe 4th.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I mean, I'm busy Krang and I don't watch the ACC that much no. And I get that Maye is being hyped nationally right now.

Also, I value your opinion on the college guys, and I'm not saying it's impossible he goes #1 or #2 in the next draft. I see that he's got talent.

But the "he doesn't have the talent around him" argument is dubious, and you might want to hedge your bet on him just a little.

Like I said, still a lot of football left to play this year so we'll see what happens.
Chapel Hill isn't a USC, or a OSU, heck they aren't even an Oklahoma.

Everyone who follows college football closely realizes that Maye is getting by with much less. It's not a dubious argument at all. It is in the NFL, but not in college.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Everyone who follows college football closely realizes that Maye is getting by with much less. It's not a dubious argument at all. It is in the NFL, but not in college.

He is also not playing the same talent level as USC or Oklahoma. The two best teams he will play this year are Miami and Duke.

Please tell me all the tools that Justin Herbert had at Oregon. He made it happen anyway.

Maye has ALL the physical tools but he should be dominating right now...he isn't The NFL isn't going to be any easier.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
He is also not playing the same talent level as USC or Oklahoma.
I realized this wasn't a serious argument the moment I read this statement. Take a gander at who USC has played again (no one) and get back to me.
The two best teams he will play this year are Miami and Duke.
And Clemson. It will probably still be a harder schedule (with a worse overall team around Maye).
Please tell me all the tools that Justin Herbert had at Oregon. He made it happen anyway.
Another non serious statement. Oregon routinely has top recruiting classes and routinely has NFL talent.
Maye has ALL the physical tools but he should be dominating right now...he isn't The NFL isn't going to be any easier.
He hasn't through a few games, but he was better than Caleb Williams last year.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Another non serious statement. Oregon routinely has top recruiting classes and routinely has NFL talent.

Who was the NFL talent on offense he had then?

The rest of the post...we can agree to disagree. The ACC is a basketball conference.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
coming from a Kyler defender.... classic. Cards dont need another spoiled midget, he is listed 6'1 which means he is 5'11. Williams is a hair taller and probably even more spoiled. Plus that last SC QB to come out that was truly WOS was Palmer. Its easy to look good surrounded with 5* at every position. Sorry if you cant see it but Maye is the better prospect.

I'll grant you the 5 star comment, USC completely reloaded in transfers this year. Addison is tearing it up in the NFL and they replace him with a freshman that looks like a future star in Zaccharia Branch. I think Caleb is better than Maye but I do see some similarities to Kyler, his mechanics at times are not great, he turns his back to the pass rush too often for example.

But it is hard not to be amazed. The first time I saw him at OU as a freshman I posted here he was a future #1 overall pick. In 781 attempts in college he now has 75 TD passes to 9 INT. That's just scary.

He makes great plays out of nothing on the regular, this isn't Kyler throwing to wide open guys every play this is a guy who just makes big plays. Mims was the best player at OU that year he's in the NFL, Williams followed Caleb to USC he's good but he's currently projected as I think a 3rd rounder?

Maye looks like an NFL QB for sure, off to a pretty weak start this year but I haven't seen any of his games. We will see how tall caleb is when he goes pro so I'm not overly concerned about that.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
After two games. Didn’t you learn about taking premature victory laps yesterday?

Collier went on IR midweek. Fotu was limited all week. Plan your roster so you have bodies available for Sunday. This isn’t rocket science.

They did, then Watkins went down after 10 snaps.

Magical thinking from you as usual. The Cards suck because they didn't do a thing literally no team can do.

Shame on them for not having an infinite supply of DL available.

We all know your going to make up the worst possible scenario for the team. You're the people in the game threads silent through 3 quarters of great football who only pop up when there is a bad play or a penalty. The people that never post when there is a good play or we are playing well but are there quick as a flash if there is a drop, missed FG or false start.

And this is a direct observation. Your ONLY contributions to the gameday thread were to say WE SUCK when Dobbs missed a wide open Ertz on the first drive. Stay silent for the entirety of good football then suddenly become much more active towards the end of Q3.

Weird that.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
So…you want to win basically? There’s no other answer to this.

I don’t think so either & I don’t want to go 0-17, but I also don’t want to drown in purgatory.

True 100%, but clearly, it’s too early to tell.
These two comments go together for me. I would have preferred that game be one of the two wins we got this year vs fumbling a lead like that. That is what I mean by the staff instilling confidence. Can they demonstrate they are competent coaches whose results will improve as talent is added?

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
They didn't lose because of competence. They lost because injuries forced them to play their starting DT's 74% of the time. And their linebackers and safeties nearly 100%.

Defense was just gassed by midway through Q3 and there were no options with multiple guys out.

You must be registered for see images attach
Excuses come in all shapes and sizes.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
They did, then Watkins went down after 10 snaps.

Magical thinking from you as usual. The Cards suck because they didn't do a thing literally no team can do.

Shame on them for not having an infinite supply of DL available.

We all know your going to make up the worst possible scenario for the team. You're the people in the game threads silent through 3 quarters of great football who only pop up when there is a bad play or a penalty. The people that never post when there is a good play or we are playing well but are there quick as a flash if there is a drop, missed FG or false start.

And this is a direct observation. Your ONLY contributions to the gameday thread were to say WE SUCK when Dobbs missed a wide open Ertz on the first drive. Stay silent for the entirety of good football then suddenly become much more active towards the end of Q3.

Weird that.
I feel like this excuse would be more valid if Collier and Fotu went down on Friday ala Budda. Truth is, as soon as Collier got dinged along with having Fotu limited, they should have tossed Fotu to the IR along with Collier. They have two DL on the PS who spent all camp with the Cardinals. That would have added two needed bodies and showed a little better foresight.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
Reaction score
I feel like this excuse would be more valid if Collier and Fotu went down on Friday ala Budda. Truth is, as soon as Collier got dinged along with having Fotu limited, they should have tossed Fotu to the IR along with Collier. They have two DL on the PS who spent all camp with the Cardinals. That would have added two needed bodies and showed a little better foresight.
Toss Fotu to the IR? What if he's out a game? That makes no sense.

And even then, sometimes it takes time to figure out how long someone is out. Fotu was moved to the IR on Saturday, which likely means that they didn't know until late in the week.

I do agree that they should have elevated one DL, but they had issues at safety as well.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

They brought Eric Banks up from the practice squad to replace Collier. He played some.

But obviously Eric Banks isn't the same quality and with Watkins going down early their better guys had to play more snaps.

They could have played less snaps and given more to Banks and Stills, but I'm guessing that like us, they thought that a worse option.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Toss Fotu to the IR? What if he's out a game? That makes no sense.

And even then, sometimes it takes time to figure out how long someone is out. Fotu was moved to the IR on Saturday, which likely means that they didn't know until late in the week.

I do agree that they should have elevated one DL, but they had issues at safety as well.

They did, they elevated Banks. Also Fotu isn't on IR. Assume you mean Collier?