Gambo is right

Treesquid PhD

Pardon my Engrish
Reaction score
They need to address the GM part first, we have seen the coaching changes before. the Bidwill defenders can't even touch their inability to pick coaches.

Get a damn GM, let him make the moves (all of them coaches, scouts, player personell), set your budget keep him to it and get the hell out of the decision. A new coach may tide some of you over but it's not enough.

Time to fire Green is now

John Gambadoro
Special for azcentral.com
Oct. 30, 2006 09:25 AM

[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Let the next head coach of the Arizona Cardinals beware - the desert is a graveyard for those of you in the profession. After the Cardinals mercifully end the Denny Green era, whether that be today, tomorrow or in eight weeks, he will go away into obscurity - never again to be seen on the sidelines, calling the shots. That's the way it was for Gene Stallings, Hank Kuhlmann, Buddy Ryan, Vince Tobin, Dave McGinnis and now Green. Only Joe Bugel got another shot after leaving the Arizona Cardinals and that was a one-year disaster in Oakland in 1997.

Arizona is like a cemetery for coaches, where their careers get put to rest. They come to the Valley trying to win for an organization that's synonymous with losing. They promise that things will be different, that they will change the perception of the organization. They believe that they can turn things around and make the Arizona Cardinals winners. Then they go out and lose football games with regularity. They end up getting fired before their contract is completed. And then they go away.

You must be registered for see images
OAS_AD('ArticleFlex_1')
on error resume next MM_FlashCanPlay = ( IsObject(CreateObject("ShockwaveFlash.ShockwaveFlash." & MM_contentVersion)))

Coaching the Arizona Cardinals is a recipe for disaster, not to mention ulcers. The ownership is not completely committed to winning. The team has zero history or tradition worth mentioning. But it is a job, and there are only 32 of them in the NFL world so somehow it is always attractive and will always have candidates. But any coach who want to be successful in this league need not apply - because coaching the Cardinals is a career killer.

Green came in with a proven track record. He had taken the Minnesota Vikings to the playoffs eight times in 10 years as the head coach. He talked a good game, about how the team would make the playoffs in Year One. Arizona went 6-10 that first year. In Year Two Green expected that his team would improve and be in contention for the division title. The Cardinals went 5-11. This year he believed he had the talent to win big. He has lost seven straight games after opening the season with a win.

Green deserves to be fired because the Cardinals ownership needs to show the fans that they care. That 1-7 is not acceptable. That being the worst team in the National Football League will not be tolerated. The Bidwills should be so humiliated by fielding one of their worst teams ever that money is no object in making a change.

Green is a dead man walking and everyone knows it. His body language and remarks say he wants out. He is in the third year of a four-year deal worth $10 million. He is owed $3.75 million and will have to be paid off to go away. But what else can owner Bill Bidwill and the chosen son Michael do? They have no other choice. If they truly are disgusted with the way their team has played then they must make a change.

The timing is right with the bye week coming up. A portion of the team has shut Green out and the offense has clearly lost confidence in the coach and his staff. After buying into a system for three years and having it not work, it's only natural for players to stop believing what the coach is telling them.

Keeping Green would send the wrong message to the fans. It would send a message of not caring about the results. And while many believe that the Cardinals are only an offensive line away from actually being good, the results do speak for themselves. Green is 12-28 and statistically ranks as one of the worst coaches in Cardinals history with a winning percentage of .300. Tobin had a winning percentage of .397, as did Stallings, Ryan was at .375, Bugel .312, McGinnis - if you only count his three full seasons and not the nine games as the interim head coach - is at .333.

Green is not winning and is actually going backwards, from 6 wins to 5 wins to ???. This Cardinal team may be lucky to finish with four wins. The easy part of its schedule is now over, and the competition gets a lot tougher starting with the Dallas Cowboys in two weeks.

It doesn't really matter who takes over for the final eight games, just as long as it's not Green. Defensive Coordinator Clancy Pendergast should get the nod. But whoever it is will realize that the job is only temporary. The Cardinals need to address their leadership at the top first and Green, along with Vice President of Football Operations Rod Graves, needs to be dismissed. The Cardinals need to hire a general manger first and foremost. No one should be thinking about who the next coach is right now. The objective is to put a qualified individual in the driver's seat of GM and let him make the decisions. The new GM should be in charge of picking a coach, a coaching staff, a scouting department, the draft and free agency.

If the Bidwills are intent on continuing to own this franchise, then the least they can do is stay out of the way and let someone qualified run the team. The stadium is built, the Super Bowl is coming, it's time for Michael to disappear. They have their naming rights deal and are making money hand over fist. They should hire a consulting staff of former successful coaches and players to search for the right general manager because it's obvious that when they make the decisions, they're never the right ones. After the group makes a decision the Bidwills need to hire the guy and get out of the way.

There is only one thing that will prevent the Cardinals from making the moves they need to make. And that is cheapness. How else would they possibly explain keeping Green at 1-7? The Cardinals are notorious for pinching pennies and if Green stays then Arizona cares less about its fans and its players and more about its bottom line and not wanting to eat the $3.75 million. And if that happens, the Cardinals will have some explaining to do.
if(ScriptsLoaded) stInit();[/FONT]

azsouthendzone

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Gambo is dead on. If they keep Green, we are looking at 1-2 wins and if they fire him the team might actually wake up. I have NEVER thought of not renewing my tickets, but the thought has crossed my mind. I still can't get over Denny's first year where he starting shuffling QBs, where we only needed 2 more wins for a playoff run, and we lost to SF twice, their only two wins. Get rid of his ass NOW.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I don't believe Graves is going anywhere...in fact I expect him to have the GM title added to his business card as soon as Denny is dismissed. I think Denny has stung the Bidwills so they are not likely to take any huge steps and Rod makes them comfortable.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
I don't believe Graves is going anywhere...in fact I expect him to have the GM title added to his business card as soon as Denny is dismissed. I think Denny has stung the Bidwills so they are not likely to take any huge steps and Rod makes them comfortable.
I guess doing just that and hiring a new coach might fool enough of the casual fans into thinking things could change. However most of us here realize that we need huge changes that go further than just who is in charge for sixty minutes on Sundays to right this ship. If that is truly how things go down this offseason, we should all have zero expectations for at least the rest of the decade.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I guess doing just that and hiring a new coach might fool enough of the casual fans into thinking things could change. However most of us here realize that we need huge changes that go further than just who is in charge for sixty minutes on Sundays to right this ship. If that is truly how things go down this offseason, we should all have zero expectations for at least the rest of the decade.

It depends. Now I am not trying to give any love to Graves but one thing that may have come out of this is he has a much clearer idea of how to run a draft. I mean, he did get to sit with Denny for 3 years and Denny always got high draft day marks (even if the final product is about average). If Rod has somehow changed his mindset about how to run the draft, it may not be horrible to keep him.

Can Graves (along with the Bidwills) hire the right HC to do the job?

Can that new HC hire the right staff to coach these guys up?

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We should just hire Mel Kiper as GM. It's a brilliant plan, if he knows half what he thinks he does, we get great drafts. If he bombs, we fire him and he can't get a job anymore because his credibility is shot.

Plus with him as our GM he can't do his mock drafts so the rest of the NFL won't get anywhere near as much information as we have.

And we can all make fun of his hair.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
The Bidwills should be so humiliated by fielding one of their worst teams ever that money is no object in making a change.

We all know that they are not humiliated. Us fans know the Bidwills care less about their legacy, or lack there of. Bidwill should be a slang term for cheap losers. Really, it is quite sad to think that the Bidwills are millionaires and have practically committed fraud to do so. Doesn't this family have ANY pride about the thier last name.

I know I would start to do something about this if my name and my entire family's legacy became a joke.

The Cardinals are notorious for pinching pennies and if Green stays then Arizona cares less about its fans and its players and more about its bottom line and not wanting to eat the $3.75 million. And if that happens, the Cardinals will have some explaining to do.

We know all about this. We also know that this organization's owners can care less about the product they produce for the fans. History is an undeniable fact. And history shows that the owners of the Cardinals truely do not care about their fans, and only care about money.

OP
OP
Treesquid PhD

Treesquid PhD

Pardon my Engrish
Reaction score

There is always hope when a new coach gets hired, but just like the draft always being our time to get pumped up, this cycle of coach in coach out will continue until major changes are made to the Cardinals operating model.
Somethings have changed I will give credit there, but the Bidwill's need to get out of the football decisions completely (Although I don't think they will ever do it) and count their millions and develop their land.

Last edited:

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
A good GM, a knowledgeable GM, would have looked at Edge and said, you're kidding right?

RB's are a dime a dozen, literally a dime a dozen and you want to pay him how much? Em, no, precisely why Indy didn't, this really hurt them btw.

See a GM would have said let's get us some big uglies up there, look Hutchison's on the market and this guy and this guy, Milford who? put down the crack pipe and get out of my office.

Dennis Green outcoach someone or you're fired, ..... you want to fire Rowen? hmmm who you replacing him with?.... em yeah .... no get out or you're fired.

You want to bench the starting QB the day before the game...... em no.

You want to cut who? who's your replacement? ..... em no.

The list is endless, Denny was the defacto GM and coach, neat, spiffy, a real GM would have said about the possibility of hiring DG.... em did you actually pay any attention to what went down in Minny Ha Ha when he left? Are you nutz?..... you're fired, you're stupid......

I almost feel like the Bidwills need to experience the power of complete competence to be awe struck in it's presence one time to feel the power.

You almost need a what if machine, have Michael compete with a real GM, sort of a playstation GM version of the real thing.

Michael, 2-14 with people selling paper bags in the parking lot to the 22,000 hard core fans, the other guy is on the cover of SI as the one who got the Cardinals in the playoffs...

Last edited:

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll believe it when I see it. I wouldn't beat a loogie on the Bidwills hiring a real GM whose name is not Rod Graves.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
It depends. Now I am not trying to give any love to Graves but one thing that may have come out of this is he has a much clearer idea of how to run a draft. I mean, he did get to sit with Denny for 3 years and Denny always got high draft day marks (even if the final product is about average). If Rod has somehow changed his mindset about how to run the draft, it may not be horrible to keep him.?
Rod Graves has had over a decade of being in war rooms to learn how to run drafts and scout personnel. If he hasn't figured it out by now then he probably never will. Keeping him will be horrible because he is at best a Bidwill Yes man and they have proven their inability to run a successful franchise. At worst he's just a really poor GM. I could care less if he spends his weekends kissing babies and feeding the poor, his job is to win football games and not win Humanitarian of the Year.

One question - I know you're a Chicago guy, but I cannot grasp how an avid Green-basher such as yourself can continue seemingly giving Graves a free pass? His tenure here has been longer and just as much of a disaster as Green's.

Can Graves (along with the Bidwills) hire the right HC to do the job?

Can that new HC hire the right staff to coach these guys up?

First question, I don't know - but 60 years of history of poor decision-making (50 for the Bidwills, 10 for Graves) makes me think the odds are poor.

And if the answer to #1 is no, then the same goes for #2.

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
I've said the same thing countless times, so I don't see how I can disagree with the guy no matter how much he usually stinks.

AZCB34

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Rod Graves has had over a decade of being in war rooms to learn how to run drafts and scout personnel. If he hasn't figured it out by now then he probably never will. Keeping him will be horrible because he is at best a Bidwill Yes man and they have proven their inability to run a successful franchise. At worst he's just a really poor GM. I could care less if he spends his weekends kissing babies and feeding the poor, his job is to win football games and not win Humanitarian of the Year.

One question - I know you're a Chicago guy, but I cannot grasp how an avid Green-basher such as yourself can continue seemingly giving Graves a free pass? His tenure here has been longer and just as much of a disaster as Green's.

First question, I don't know - but 60 years of history of poor decision-making (50 for the Bidwills, 10 for Graves) makes me think the odds are poor.

And if the answer to #1 is no, then the same goes for #2.

I guess my post was a way to make me feel like there is some hope if Graves is made GM as I expect he will be...like maybe some of the draft day decision-making ability Green has rubbed off and the light went on. History sure doesn;t support me in any way though. I think he could have learned from his failures (many) and apply what he learned from Green and grow into a better GM than he is now (nowhere to go but up right?)

I am not sure I have ever really given Graves much of a pass in the past but maybe I did here and there. I feel like I was about as hard on the guy as anyone. In CHI, Graves ran one draft and IIRC every player he picked was out of football within 2-3 years...completely. I gotta go find out what draft it was he ran. He has proven time and again he makes horrible choices on draft day up to this point.

I don't know who the right HC should be (I am thinking I would like to see 1. Heimerdinger who I liked last time and 2. Rivera). I think both of them could bring in decent staffs to back them but if you believe the Bidwills skimp on coach salaries, we will be saddled with some greener coaches and need to break them in.

ANDY440

Registered
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
You almost need a what if machine, have Michael compete with a real GM, sort of a playstation GM version of the real thing.

Michael, 2-14 with people selling paper bags in the parking lot to the 22,000 hard core fans, the other guy is on the cover of SI as the one who got the Cardinals in the playoffs.

Thats funny Conrad :lmao:

earthsci

That Rapscallion!!
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Us fans know the Bidwills care less about their legacy, or lack there of.

I'm no Bidwill apologist but you don't know that. Before you judge Mike Bidwill as an owner maybe you should wait until he is one. Rumor has it that he was ready to go after more players after signing Edge but his father put away the wallet.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gambo is a completely inept. How can you fire Green now, if they don't already have a GM in place?? If you want the GM to make the decision, let him make it. Maybe he is the right coach, but the wrong GM is in place...

Using his own logic, you should at least wait until the new GM is decided before you fire Green, it is supposed to be his decision right? Hell, even if it only takes the new GM 30 seconds to decide, it should be his choice.

You can't have it both ways. Things like this bug me to no end. It is easy to understand wanting them both gone, but you are arguing yourself out of your own argument.

NEZCardsfan

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Gambo talks out of both sides of his mouth. He's right and wrong at the same time.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Gambo talks out of both sides of his mouth. He's right and wrong at the same time.

Typical of journalists. They write that the team/government/business should do A and then when they do A complain that they should have done B.

Create controversy to sell is something that the media has always done.

vinnymac

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
everyone saying that the bidwills only cares about the money. how are the bidwills going to make any money if the stadium isn't full. the bidwills now have their own stadium. that means they get most the money that the stadium generates. to me the bidwills would want to put a winner on the field. they tried with green it obvious it hasn't worked out. can you really blame the bidwills not wanting to eat 3.75 million dollars. their going to be a change at the end of season if the green doesn't win out. the next coach is going to be a high profile coach.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard