Fullback

nooch

Veteran
Reaction score
I've go to say I know nothing about these two guys Nehemiah Broughton and Reagan Mauia. I'm looking to get some insight on these guys, who's the favorite to win the job. And is there a possibility with a strong emphasis on the running game the we keep both guys on the roster, but sit one on game day?

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Broughton was w/ the Giants practice squad last year IIRC and Mauia was with us last year or the year before in camp. I dont think there's any real possibility that we keep both.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Nehemiah Broughton.

I am sure of it. The Redskins loved this guy, but he was behind Sellers. They where forced to release him under the Zorn fiasco, and he was picked up by teams that have very good established fullbacks, and until we landed him.

He will be the starter, and a good one at that.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It's Too Early

Since we can't be sure yet about the role of the FB in the Cardinal offense, how can we know what the job description and position-fit will be?

For example, will Wiz rely a lot on a power running game with the TB lined up behind the FB? Or will he opt to go more to a single back set with a second TE or H-Back doing a lot of wham blocking at the LOS.

And will we see more standard (2 WR/1TE) play action sets when we want to pass? Or will the Cards tend to go more with multi-receiver stuff?

Before we can determine whether the right dude is Mau'ia, Broughton or Byrd, Patrick or Spach, we have to know what system they'll be playing in.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Im glad this topic was brought up as Ive been out of the loop with the FB position. While this was being evaluated, I diverted my attention to the Suns.

This is just as important as solidifying the offensive line IMO. We need a mauler in front of Beanie and Timmy and I dont think we have had a quality guy there for a very long time. To me, Kreider was serviceable but didnt make very many game changing blocks.

I will do some more research on the dude.

cardsfanmd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
No It's Not

Since we can't be sure yet about the role of the FB in the Cardinal offense, how can we know what the job description and position-fit will be?

For example, will Wiz rely a lot on a power running game with the TB lined up behind the FB? Or will he opt to go more to a single back set with a second TE or H-Back doing a lot of wham blocking at the LOS.

And will we see more standard (2 WR/1TE) play action sets when we want to pass? Or will the Cards tend to go more with multi-receiver stuff?

Before we can determine whether the right dude is Mau'ia, Broughton or Byrd, Patrick or Spach, we have to know what system they'll be playing in.
Well considering that Whisenhunt has taken every possible opportunity this year to say that he is not changing the offense I think 3 years is enough to gauge what he wants out of his FB. He's looking for a hard-nosed lead blocker who can catch a ball out in the flat once in a blue moon

Byrd and Patrick are predominantly receivers and all three (as well as Becht) are too tall. The battle is obviously between Broughton and Maui'a. Considering that the two of them are practically the same size (same height, but Maui'a is listed 10lbs heavier @ 265) and possess the similar skill-sets it shouldn't be too tough to see that whichever performs better will be our FB this year. Looking at their talent and past situations, it's not hard at all to consider Broughton the front-runner here.

Last edited:
OP
OP
nooch

nooch

Veteran
Reaction score
With Washington signing the Cardinals have released fullback Reagan Maui'a. Guess this sums up the thread. Job is Broughton's.

Reaction score
With Washington signing the Cardinals have released fullback Reagan Maui'a. Guess this sums up the thread. Job is Broughton's.
Likely so, but there is still another FB on the roster, Charles Ali, 4th year in the NFL...

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score

I wouldn't say that yet. Don't sleep on Charles Ali. Ali has more experience, more recent experience, might be the better receiver, and although not as compact as Broughton he does pack on some pounds at 255.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn