Fresh and Easy grocery stores?

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
funny, thats the best part is bagging your own groceries. No more one yogurt in an entire bag or weird mixes of your stuff :) I like all meats in one bag, freezer stuff in one bag, etc. Makes unpacking at home so much faster.
I bought 4 single paper towel rolls at frys last week and the bagger put one per bag for each one.

The pizza dough is great!

Yeah it is funny we always complain about how they bag groceries at Lucky, but then when I have to do it myself at Fresh and Easy I resent it. I guess I'm a grocery primadonna.

:D

For us it's how we'll come in with 4 very sturdy bags, and walk out with 3 incredibly heavy bags one double bagged. Why not use all 4 bags and distribute the weight?

I know a 22 year old who was bagging groceries at 20, they were taught to use the least amount of bags possible to save money. But these days most people bring their own bag so they need to relearn how to bag IMO.

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Went to go pick up lunch on Tuesday and the f&e by my work had a huge closing sign and everything in the store was 50% off. Bummed they are closing because I would pick up their salads or pasta salads or tapioca pudding. don't have one near my house so I guess aim officially done with them, which is a bummer.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I also admit I don't want to bag all my own groceries so that's another reason I do the bulk of my shopping at Lucky.

This is probably revealing more about myself than I'd like to reveal, but I never allow anyone to bag my own groceries. I bag my groceries by grouping, in the way that I unload them. I organize them on the check-out counter before allowing the register to run, in the order that I intend to bag them. I get very irritated -- agitated even -- when some young, eager bagger shows up to bag my goods.

Let the jokes begin.

You must be registered for see images attach

Linderbee

Let's GO, CARDINALS!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is probably revealing more about myself than I'd like to reveal, but I never allow anyone to bag my own groceries. I bag my groceries by grouping, in the way that I unload them. I organize them on the check-out counter before allowing the register to run, in the order that I intend to bag them. I get very irritated -- agitated even -- when some young, eager bagger shows up to bag my goods.

Let the jokes begin.

There will be no jokes from me.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Let the jokes begin.

Even when grouping them (we do this very similar) the baggers still dont get it right.

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score
They were owned by Tesco, a British company. Now they're owned by some California company. I think you're thinking of the Walmart Neighborhood Markets. Very, very different.

Ah, yes you're right. Those mini markets were much smaller.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
to update, as I feared, post buyout they are raising prices and have now eliminated the coupons. You still get points, I just convered 700 into 7 bucks off my next purchase but I'll be going back to Lucky after that. Their prices were only competitive because of the coupons, they cut the coupons, and RAISED the prices.

if you look at their FB page it's hilarious, all the comments are about this and people saying they will not shop there anymore. Then today I get an email they've extended the hours.

They don't seem to get nobody wants to pay more for stuff and then have to bag their own groceries.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I prefer to bag my groceries and love f&e especially theIr meat and even without coupons 1.99 for untreated chicken breast is awesome. The ground beef at 2.50 an lb is a good deal as well.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I prefer to bag my groceries and love f&e especially theIr meat and even without coupons 1.99 for untreated chicken breast is awesome. The ground beef at 2.50 an lb is a good deal as well.

I'm curious if those prices hold though because what I'm seeing on their FB page is complaints that prices have jumped 20-30% overnight since the change?

My point about the bagging of groceries is the justifcation for that is to keep costs down, if you're going to charge more too, then why not have more employees? The last time we were there one of the employees told us he'd worked 8 straight days, 12 hour shifts, and was averaging 70 hours per week. He said he loved all the extra money but wondered if it was a bad sign for the company and wondered if it was sustainable for him personally. I asked him why they don't just hire more people and he said the company won't.

Not sure I get that, after 40 hours they have to pay time and a half, after 60 they have to pay double time. So in essence his extra 30 hours a week cost them 50 hours of pay, why not just hire another full time employee and pay them 40 hours?

Jersey Girl

Stand down
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On a kinda related note, the Fresh and Easy by my place swapped out wine vendors about two weeks ago. It. Was. Awesome. I got almost 30 bottles of wine for .99 each. All the bottles were originally between $12 and $25.

So, guess what everyone is getting for Christmas this year? :) (And guess who will be PWI once Christmas break starts, lol?)

Last edited:

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
On a kinda relative note, the Fresh and Easy by my place swapped out wine vendors about two weeks ago. It. Was. Awesome. I got almost 30 bottles of wine for .99 each. All the bottles were originally between $12 and $25.

And you didn't tell us????:D

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
their flyer I grabbed last night while shopping says they will have more
baggers.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
their flyer I grabbed last night while shopping says they will have more
baggers.

Interesting but they have zero baggers at the one I go to so more would mean 1.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interesting but they have zero baggers at the one I go to so more would mean 1.
lol there is usually one at my store. I have noticed no more coupons but the 5x points has been helpful to a degree. Meat is still pretty cheap.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fresh & Easy grocery chain to shutter all of its stores

Fresh & Easy grocery chain to shutter all of its stores

http://www.abc15.com/news/state/fresh-easy-grocery-chain-to-shutter-all-of-its-stores

Fresh & Easy will shutter all 97 of its remaining stores in California, Arizona and Nevada and cease operations after nearly a decade of struggling to catch on with consumers.

The Daily Breeze newspaper reports the grocery chain, headquartered in Torrance, California, announced Wednesday that all 3,000 of its employees will be laid off.

BillsCarnage

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Not surprised. I always liked it and they had some good food (the in house stuff). I loved their coupon system; it was so easy to scan the coupon many times over and do a fake insert for slot that the coupon was supposed to go in. I think they fixed that though - it was years ago.

But I went back a few months ago and prices are upwards of Wholefoods prices. No way they can survive with standard quality food offerings at those prices.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
YEah this was coming from a mile away prices kept going up, lots of employee turnover they must have known.

Right across the street for me but I had grown to really dislike the place. They never had good bananas or yogurt selection etc.

Hopefully we get a new store there but not sure we will.

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
YEah this was coming from a mile away prices kept going up, lots of employee turnover they must have known.

Right across the street for me but I had grown to really dislike the place. They never had good bananas or yogurt selection etc.

Hopefully we get a new store there but not sure we will.

You can have Fresh OR Easy, but not both.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard