Fresh and Easy grocery stores?

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't know if you have them in Arizona? We have them all over California, they have lots of healthy foods, not a Whole Foods type store but healthier than a regular store. They also have lots of ready prepared meals you just pop in the oven that are actually good and healthy.

They just got bought out, it appears the one near me in Sunnyvale will stay open, but we're in this odd transition where it's not 100% clear they will and you almost feel guilty at times. Some prices are high, some very high, but then you'll find for example Chex cereal 2 for 5 bucks when it's often over 4 bucks a box at Lucky. I have a card there and I got an email today about something, when I went ot my page it gave me a coupon 4 bucks off 20 bucks. Then I clicked on other coupons and got 5 bucks off 25 bucks. Then another section popped up and had 6 bucks off 30 bucks!

So it's pretty clear they're desperate to hold customers while going through the transition after being acquired. as long as the quality of food stays the same I'll still often go there. I can walk there. I do my bulk shopping at Lucky they have things Fresh and Easy doesn't have, at better prices, but I go there omre and more because they have gluten free stuff Lucky doesn't carry.

I guess me using their coupons and discounts is better than me not going there at all but I almost feel like I'm taking advantage of them right now.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are a lot of them here, but they are closing many stores, IIRC. My mom shops there and they have always used discounts/coupons like that. They are most known by people here for one of their ads using the phrase "It's F & Easy."

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Those coupons have been around forever Russ

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
They built one right by our house about 5 years ago but it never opened. It's still sitting there empty.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They built one right by our house about 5 years ago but it never opened. It's still sitting there empty.

We have three of them in the same condition. They put up the "coming soon" sign about a decade ago but all three of them still sit empty. It's just as well, we do almost all of our shopping at Winco, Sprouts and local farmer's markets.

Steve

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Those coupons have been around forever Russ

Oh I get that I mean I got 3 of them in one visit to the site. They just started this thing where they gave away free points and then let you convert the points to money, so my last visit I had 8 bucks off. This one will be 4, 5 or 6 depending on how much I spend.

the prices on some of the thigns I regularly buy are down. So it really looks like they're desperate to keep customers while going through the transition. I know they weren't making money.

CVS has been doing this for ages too, and Orchard Supply Started doing it and then went BK although still open. I'm just wondering if this is temporary or if they're going to do this always. With the coupons it's not too expensive, without, it is, unless the current lower pricing sticks.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We have three of them in the same condition. They put up the "coming soon" sign about a decade ago but all three of them still sit empty. It's just as well, we do almost all of our shopping at Winco, Sprouts and local farmer's markets.

Steve

I actually prefer them to Sprouts at least so far but a big part of their appeal to me is I can walk there in 10 minutes.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I actually prefer them to Sprouts at least so far but a big part of their appeal to me is I can walk there in 10 minutes.

Sprouts is pretty expensive, we only go there for whatever organic fruits and vegetables we need that the local farmer's market isn't carrying. I know we were excited about a Fresh and Easy opening in our neighborhood (less than an eighth of a mile away) but the darned thing just set there full of promise and nothing else. As I mentioned, there were at least two others within a short driving distance that went so far as to put up a coming soon sign that also failed to open.

Anyway, Winco has a great selection of fruits and vegetables and they are much less expensive than anywhere else around here. I suspect the Winco opening up shortly after F&E was supposed to open had a lot to do with Fresh and Easy staying closed. In fact, almost all the other chain grocery stores in our area have moved out as they lost business to Winco. Twenty years ago we had 9 chain grocery stores within 10 minutes of our house, now we just have Winco, a Walmart Supercenter and a Stater Brothers despite a steady increase in population. I'm not sure that's progress but I do like our Winco.

Steve

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't know if you have them in Arizona? We have them all over California, they have lots of healthy foods, not a Whole Foods type store but healthier than a regular store. They also have lots of ready prepared meals you just pop in the oven that are actually good and healthy.

They just got bought out, it appears the one near me in Sunnyvale will stay open, but we're in this odd transition where it's not 100% clear they will and you almost feel guilty at times. Some prices are high, some very high, but then you'll find for example Chex cereal 2 for 5 bucks when it's often over 4 bucks a box at Lucky. I have a card there and I got an email today about something, when I went ot my page it gave me a coupon 4 bucks off 20 bucks. Then I clicked on other coupons and got 5 bucks off 25 bucks. Then another section popped up and had 6 bucks off 30 bucks!

So it's pretty clear they're desperate to hold customers while going through the transition after being acquired. as long as the quality of food stays the same I'll still often go there. I can walk there. I do my bulk shopping at Lucky they have things Fresh and Easy doesn't have, at better prices, but I go there omre and more because they have gluten free stuff Lucky doesn't carry.

I guess me using their coupons and discounts is better than me not going there at all but I almost feel like I'm taking advantage of them right now.

I LOVE fresh and easy. Their meat is priced great and healthy at the same time. We buy all our meat there and some other items. Their tortillas rock too. The coupons are a big help on top of it but even without them I like the meat prices and the fact that they dont have pink slime and etc.

They are closing 7 stores in AZ I heard but it sounds like my store is staying open.

We do the rest of our shopping at frys.

I have a whole foods right by my house but im not a snob or a dreadlocked hippie so tis just not right for me. They dont carry a lot of stuff or at least I cant find it and the stuff I do find is priced for a CEO.

I went to sprouts once. That was enough for me.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are a lot of them here, but they are closing many stores, IIRC. My mom shops there and they have always used discounts/coupons like that. They are most known by people here for one of their ads using the phrase "It's F & Easy."

I hate that ad and feel it hurts the company. They are marketing to the wrong demographic as far as making money. Grocery stores are mainly used by families, not 16 year olds.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hate that ad and feel it hurts the company. They are marketing to the wrong demographic as far as making money. Grocery stores are mainly used by families, not 16 year olds.

I sometimes feel like I'm at "it's a small world" at Disneyland when in there with the Fresh and Easy jingle playing in the store so much.

Overall I am impressed but again, if it weren't within easy walking distance I doubt I'd go there. I get gas card savings by going to Lucky and it's cheaper so I do the bulk of my shopping there. But we still are finding stuff at F&E that we can't get at Lucky.

And yeah you're right the meat selection is nice.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I sometimes feel like I'm at "it's a small world" at Disneyland when in there with the Fresh and Easy jingle playing in the store so much.

Overall I am impressed but again, if it weren't within easy walking distance I doubt I'd go there. I get gas card savings by going to Lucky and it's cheaper so I do the bulk of my shopping there. But we still are finding stuff at F&E that we can't get at Lucky.

And yeah you're right the meat selection is nice.

Once you are used to lucky and F&E youll be able to see what is cheaper and what is not. That is how we shop the two. The meat is comperable or cheaper at F&E although better quality than most stores so I always buy all my meat there too. Better selection as well.

Sometimes they have far better sales on cereal too.

Plus anything with their name and logo is free of all the crap. Their 1.99 past sauce (3 cheese) is very cheap and super delicious. Their big bag of jasmine rice is also the best deal in town.

Linderbee

Let's GO, CARDINALS!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I used to shop there sometimes, but they stopped sending me the ads with the coupons in the mail and that was the end of that.

I HATED their stupid ads about how they don't pay big-name celebrities to do their ads & pass those savings on to the customer. I've never heard a big-name celebrity do a grocery ad. Eddie & his son did their ads, and John Flora (RIP) did the Fry's ads...Safeway & Albertsons never use anyone famous. Sorry, had to vent.

There was plenty I liked about their stores, but when they closed the one at Southern & Gilbert, they kinda lost any chance of me going there...which I never had to begin with. It was such a bad location I just forgot it was there. I don't even know if the one at Gilbert & Guadalupe is still open, but no way I'm driving past a Fry's to get to a F&E.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I love that place. Mine at Dobson/Queen Creek is staying open. Things I love there:

- Hummus. Don't know what they do to it, but it's amazing.

- Ground beef. Try the jalapeno and poblano pepper mix. O.M.G.

- Their fruits and veggies are fresh, fresh, fresh. Strawberries are all sweet, somehow.

- Pre-prepared salads. They're always so good. Love the buffalo chicken salad and the italian.

Things I don't like:

- Any of their pre-prepared marinara or alfredo sauces. Don't go near them. Gag worthy.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Once you are used to lucky and F&E youll be able to see what is cheaper and what is not. That is how we shop the two. The meat is comperable or cheaper at F&E although better quality than most stores so I always buy all my meat there too. Better selection as well.

Sometimes they have far better sales on cereal too.

Plus anything with their name and logo is free of all the crap. Their 1.99 past sauce (3 cheese) is very cheap and super delicious. Their big bag of jasmine rice is also the best deal in town.

Yeah I mentioned the cereal already, Chex has gluten free cereals and right now it's quite a bit cheaper at F&E.

I also admit I don't want to bag all my own groceries so that's another reason I do the bulk of my shopping at Lucky.

OP
OP
Russ Smith

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I love that place. Mine at Dobson/Queen Creek is staying open. Things I love there:

- Their fruits and veggies are fresh, fresh, fresh. Strawberries are all sweet, somehow.

- Pre-prepared salads. They're always so good. Love the buffalo chicken salad and the italian.

Things I don't like:

- Any of their pre-prepared marinara or alfredo sauces. Don't go near them. Gag worthy.

Yes the salads are great. We have tried 4 or 5 different ones, loved them all.

Had a good lasagna from there too.

The gluten free ranch dressing was awful, but that's not their fault they don't make it.

DeAnna

Just A Face in The Crowd
Reaction score
aren't they owned by Walmart? :mad:

The one near where I used to live (cooper & elliott) closed down a couple of years ago. Was never impressed with them; not much of a selection.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
aren't they owned by Walmart? :mad:

The one near where I used to live (cooper & elliott) closed down a couple of years ago. Was never impressed with them; not much of a selection.

They were owned by Tesco, a British company. Now they're owned by some California company. I think you're thinking of the Walmart Neighborhood Markets. Very, very different.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They were owned by Tesco, a British company. Now they're owned by some California company. I think you're thinking of the Walmart Neighborhood Markets. Very, very different.

Wait. So you're telling me that the Walmart Neighborhood Markets are owned by...Walmart? No way. :D

Jersey Girl

Stand down
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like Fresh and Easy, and I believe the one by me is staying open.

I like their pizza dough, their pudding, the vegetarian options they have, the specialty cheeses and the produce (though I do get most of my produce from Sprouts).

I am not really loyal to any one grocery store though. I have an Albertsons, two Frys, a Safeway, Bashas, Sprouts and Fresh and Easy within a five-mile radius of my place. Trader Joes and Food City and just outside of that radius. Kinda nice to be able to go through the circulars to see who has the best deals on what and see where I want to shop that week.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Things I don't like:

You are right about the hummus!

The fruit is good but personally I find most the veggies there to be far from fresh :shrug: we get most our veggies from frys still.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah I mentioned the cereal already, Chex has gluten free cereals and right now it's quite a bit cheaper at F&E.

I also admit I don't want to bag all my own groceries so that's another reason I do the bulk of my shopping at Lucky.

funny, thats the best part is bagging your own groceries. No more one yogurt in an entire bag or weird mixes of your stuff :) I like all meats in one bag, freezer stuff in one bag, etc. Makes unpacking at home so much faster.
I bought 4 single paper towel rolls at frys last week and the bagger put one per bag for each one.

I like Fresh and Easy, and I believe the one by me is staying open.

I like their pizza dough, their pudding, the vegetarian options they have, the specialty cheeses and the produce (though I do get most of my produce from Sprouts).

I am not really loyal to any one grocery store though. I have an Albertsons, two Frys, a Safeway, Bashas, Sprouts and Fresh and Easy within a five-mile radius of my place. Trader Joes and Food City and just outside of that radius. Kinda nice to be able to go through the circulars to see who has the best deals on what and see where I want to shop that week.

The pizza dough is great!

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I used to shop there sometimes, but they stopped sending me the ads with the coupons in the mail and that was the end of that.

I HATED their stupid ads about how they don't pay big-name celebrities to do their ads & pass those savings on to the customer. I've never heard a big-name celebrity do a grocery ad. Eddie & his son did their ads, and John Flora (RIP) did the Fry's ads...Safeway & Albertsons never use anyone famous. Sorry, had to vent.

There was plenty I liked about their stores, but when they closed the one at Southern & Gilbert, they kinda lost any chance of me going there...which I never had to begin with. It was such a bad location I just forgot it was there. I don't even know if the one at Gilbert & Guadalupe is still open, but no way I'm driving past a Fry's to get to a F&E.

:shrug:

You must be registered for see images attach

:D

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard