Free agency thread 2022

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
It's wild that the Franchise number for running backs is now less than 75% of what it is for safeties — $1 million less than it is for TIGHT ENDS.

It really goes to show how much the position has been downgraded over the past decade. A situation like this would have been unimaginable a generation ago.

Let's remember some running backs.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It's wild that the Franchise number for running backs is now less than 75% of what it is for safeties — $1 million less than it is for TIGHT ENDS.

It really goes to show how much the position has been downgraded over the past decade. A situation like this would have been unimaginable a generation ago.

Let's remember some running backs.

It weird as it's still a crucial offensive position but there is just so much supply. Runnings backs able to play in the NFL are plentiful every year and even 4th, 5th and 6th round guys can consistently make major contributions in year 1. How many positions can you say that about?

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
This is what I'll never understand. TB did it last year and LA is going to more than likely keep their SB team intact but somehow we are in really bad cap shape despite our QB being on a rookie deal....smh.

imaCafan

Next stop, Hall of Fame!
Reaction score
This is what I'll never understand. TB did it last year and LA is going to more than likely keep their SB team intact but somehow we are in really bad cap shape despite our QB being on a rookie deal....smh.
This. You don't have to sign cheaper, broken down vets to lower contracts because you don't have the cap space to sign the "premium" players. Teams like Rams/Cowboys do it every year.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Rams & Bucs have drafted well which helps compensate their spending.

As everyone here knows, Keim…..doesn’t.

blindseyed

I'm saying you ARE stuck in Wichita
Reaction score

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Rams & Bucs have drafted well which helps compensate their spending.

As everyone here knows, Keim…..doesn’t.
Agree about Keim but drafting aside because they have to pay the guys they hit on in draft too. The contracts LA & TB gave out in past couple of years are cap eaters ($10M+)

LA - Donald, Whitworth, Ramsey, Stafford - Not even including guys like Woods & Floyd
TB - Getting relief this year with Brady retiring but will still need to find a QB but last year all these guys on roster - Brady, Donovan Smith, Shaquil Barrett, Godwin (franchise tag), Evans, Vea, Marpet

Obviously, LA & TB have a lot of re-structure options that can save them money but ARZ doesn't, well at least won't hit them with dead money as a result.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
I don't see Honey Badger going to a team with no shot for a few years like the Saints.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good point - playing at home but how are they going to pay him and wouldn't he want another chance at a ring?
More than money? Not in this stage of his career IMO.