For those of you that say lose out for a better draft pick ...

DoTheDew

Registered
Reaction score
I'll be the one to say I disagree. Nice win and all, but having the #1 draft pick this year is/was looking long term. It is hard to find a franchise saving QB out of the top 5 picks. Andrew Luck is the safest NFL pick since Peyton Manning.

The Cards haven't had a #1 overall draft pick in OVER 50 years. There are lots of reasons why the Cards have sucked for so long, and this is a big one. We can't even find a way to lose the right way.

It's not really about getting the #1 overall pick. It's just about making good use of the picks you make. We are one of, if not the worst team when it comes to keeping high draft picks beyond their rookie contracts. We've had so many solid players who maybe weren't as good as expected but still good, that we let walk for nothing for a variety of reasons.

Leonard Davis, Calvin Pace, Simeon Rice, Antrel Rolle, Thomas Jones, Garrison Hearst.

Then most of the rest of the guys are total busts or never get a chance do to health or coaching.

Leinart, Bryant Johnson, Wendall Bryant, David Boston, Andre Wadsworth, Tom Knight.

It goes on like this for 50 years.

The point is, we've had some very high draft picks and wasted them. We've passed on Hall of Fame talent for busts far too many times. (Levi Brown over Adrian Peterson anyone?).

I have no confidence in our teams ability to draft a high pick. We probably would have taken Ryan Leaf over Peyton Manning.

DemsMyBoys

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Thank you, Jersey!!

You play to win or you don't take the field.

And I don't want to be the fan of a team that doesn't have that attitude.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's not really about getting the #1 overall pick. It's just about making good use of the picks you make. We are one of, if not the worst team when it comes to keeping high draft picks beyond their rookie contracts. We've had so many solid players who maybe weren't as good as expected but still good, that we let walk for nothing for a variety of reasons.

Leonard Davis, Calvin Pace, Simeon Rice, Antrel Rolle, Thomas Jones, Garrison Hearst.

Then most of the rest of the guys are total busts or never get a chance do to health or coaching.

Leinart, Bryant Johnson, Wendall Bryant, David Boston, Andre Wadsworth, Tom Knight.

It goes on like this for 50 years.

The point is, we've had some very high draft picks and wasted them. We've passed on Hall of Fame talent for busts far too many times. (Levi Brown over Adrian Peterson anyone?).

I have no confidence in our teams ability to draft a high pick. We probably would have taken Ryan Leaf over Peyton Manning.

+1 :thumbup:

As if a #1 pick guarantees anything! For every Petyon Manning and Matt Ryan, you have a Joey Harrington and an Alex Smith.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cards were not getting the #1 overall pick this year.

This is the problem with wanting the Cards to lose out. When do you staart wanting them to lose? Week 1? That makes for a LONG season.,

Buffalo and Detroit won to bring the total to 3 games. We play Carolina next week. If they would have won one of their last two after that, we had a shot.

Cincinnati needed to win another game too.

You want them to lose when they have been eliminated from the playoffs and the #1 overall pick is possible; also when there is a consensus number 1 pick and a position of your biggest need.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
+1 :thumbup:

As if a #1 pick guarantees anything! For every Petyon Manning and Matt Ryan, you have a Joey Harrington and an Alex Smith.

None of them were as decorated or as polished as Luck is.

OP
OP
Jersey Girl

Jersey Girl

Stand down
Supporting Member
Reaction score

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
If we want Luck that bad, we'll have to trade up for him. First, he'd have to elect to come out of college. With uncertainty surrounding the CBA, I expect a few underclassmen to think twice about jumping ot the NFL until it is cleared up.

Second, at least two teams that suck worse than us will likely be in the market for a QB. Cincy and Carolina could both take Luck before we ever have a shot at him and I doubt either of them win again this year. They are both pathetic excuses for football teams. Even worse than us.

I do find it funny that on a day when both the Bills and the Lions win, we somehow find a way to keep pace in the draft race.

Finally, both STL and SEA lost big today, while we won in our most complete game of the season. I will take that feeling any day.

Last edited:

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Peyton was.

Which is why he turned around the Colts........ and why Luck will do the same for some team. Not sure where you were going with that.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And if Luck doesn't come out...do we tank 2011 too?

Doesn't matter anymore. If we are out of contention with 4 games left and there is a possibility to draft him next year too; absolutely.

You need a franchise QB to succeed in this league. We won the lottery with Warner. That won't happen again.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Doesn't matter anymore. If we are out of contention with 4 games left and there is a possibility to draft him next year too; absolutely.

You need a franchise QB to succeed in this league. We won the lottery with Warner. That won't happen again.
Cards had a minimal shot to get him at best. The Broncos (and the Panthers by the way) are in such bad shape that a Card loss would have set the franchise back something fierce.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score

Obviously, you don't need to draft a "sure fire" QB #1 overall to get a franchise QB.

:)

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Which is why he turned around the Colts........ and why Luck will do the same for some team. Not sure where you were going with that.

If we did have the #1 pick I'd use it on Luck. But, he's not a slam dunk to be a great NFL QB. You are guessing he is, but every draft pick is always just making your best guess. That's why the guys who do this for a living are considered to be very good if they consistently hit on 50% of their draft picks or better.

Besides, Luck is probably going to stay in school. Other than him, no other player excites me as a #1 pick in the least.

Mulli

Supporting Member
Reaction score
If we did have the #1 pick I'd use it on Luck. But, he's not a slam dunk to be a great NFL QB. You are guessing he is, but every draft pick is always just making your best guess. That's why the guys who do this for a living are considered to be very good if they consistently hit on 50% of their draft picks or better.

Besides, Luck is probably going to stay in school. Other than him, no other player excites me as a #1 pick in the least.
Yep, Luck reminds me of Rex Grossman.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Can you please type out you speech as though you are Whiz telling the players and other coaches your gonna tank the rest of the season?

Can you also tell me how your gonna accurately judge all the young guys on your roster in game situations after you have told them to tank it?

Thanks in advance.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can you please type out you speech as though you are Whiz telling the players and other coaches your gonna tank the rest of the season?

Can you also tell me how your gonna accurately judge all the young guys on your roster in game situations after you have told them to tank it?

Thanks in advance.

You can tank the season without telling your team that is what you are doing. Play DA for example. The coaches tell everyone that he is the best chance for them to win, blah blah blah. You play your young inexperienced players etc. Isn't that was Whiz did by starting DA in the first place?

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson