Fitz extension to 2018

Big D

...and STILL...
Reaction score
I really hope they give Fitz an assurance that if they suck again next year similar to this season that by the deadline they will make every effort to trade him to a contender with him having the final say-whatever the compensation.

That way he gets his money, gets his numbers, and *hopefully gets his chance at a ring. AND we get something (anything) back in return

Bert

Walkin' on Sunshine
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I really can't imagine Larry coming back for another year when we will be rebuilding.

So to me this suggests that Carson and BA are going to give it one more year.

Not saying that's a good thing, but I can't imagine that Larry is so desperate for money that he would agree to stay on for one more year of "rebuilding."

I'm not saying Carson and Larry and BA can win, I'm just delving into the logic behind this.

I DON'T think it's simply a case of 'keep Larry around 1 more year to sell tickets' because I dont think Larry would agree to that.

Pretty obvious that Larry, BA and Carson think they can give it one more go next year. Again, that's IF he does this deal.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Really though, Fitz isn't coming back to play with a rookie QB. It's not like he's playing for the money. He desperately wants a ring and that's not happening with a rookie taking snaps.

I think the whole team feels cheated at their shot this year when DJ went down in week 1. Keim has a plan at QB. I think Cousins or Palmer will be under center next year.

I'm a huge Palmer fan but that story may have run it's course. I wouldn't hate him being the QB but, if he is, they need to invest heavily on the interior of the OL.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
Pro Football talk just tweeted it

discuss...........

You cannot tell me the guy does not have the skills to continue to play.

That is all there is. If Larry Fitzgerald wants to play, then you let the man play.

No to mention when you are looking at Michael Floyd and John Brown dropping off the map for this roster, and Chad Williams looking like he will be, at best, a depth guy, why not?

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
I really hope they give Fitz an assurance that if they suck again next year similar to this season that by the deadline they will make every effort to trade him to a contender with him having the final say-whatever the compensation.

That way he gets his money, gets his numbers, and *hopefully gets his chance at a ring. AND we get something (anything) back in return

Problem is Larry stated he doesn't want to play for anyone else.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
I really hope they give Fitz an assurance that if they suck again next year similar to this season that by the deadline they will make every effort to trade him to a contender with him having the final say-whatever the compensation
No disrespect, but I can’t express how overrated this notion is. If he hasn’t been traded to another team at this point for this reason, it’s likely not happening.

imaCafan

Next stop, Hall of Fame!
Reaction score
Maybe he doesn't want an * by his lone superbowl victory like Floyd has....,

cardpa

Have a Nice Day!
Reaction score
From the NFL site.
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...y-fitzgerald-signs-oneyear-contract-extension

That being said, this team will still be in a state of flux and cash strapped to fix things that need fixing. This becomes a conundrum in that yes it's nice in all probability to have Fitz back but if Palmer also comes back then the salary cap becomes an issue again. Somehow I feel that both Keim and Arians overrate some of the talent they have on this team. Special teams will look the same, the offensive line will again be a mess and there will still be no reliable #2 receiver opposite Fitz. The coaching staff will still lack coaching ability. The team WILL NOT draft a QBOTF unless one happens to fall to them and that player is ranked on their board as a potential pick at that spot. This is how this team has been operating for the past three years and there is no reason to think it will change it's MO until otherwise proven. As much as Keim and Arians have moved this team forward they are also the roadblock to sustained success.

RugbyMuffin

ASFN IDOL
Reaction score
From the NFL site.
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...y-fitzgerald-signs-oneyear-contract-extension

That being said, this team will still be in a state of flux and cash strapped to fix things that need fixing. This becomes a conundrum in that yes it's nice in all probability to have Fitz back but if Palmer also comes back then the salary cap becomes an issue again. Somehow I feel that both Keim and Arians overrate some of the talent they have on this team. Special teams will look the same, the offensive line will again be a mess and there will still be no reliable #2 receiver opposite Fitz. The coaching staff will still lack coaching ability. The team WILL NOT draft a QBOTF unless one happens to fall to them and that player is ranked on their board as a potential pick at that spot. This is how this team has been operating for the past three years and there is no reason to think it will change it's MO until otherwise proven. As much as Keim and Arians have moved this team forward they are also the roadblock to sustained success.

I completely disagree on this misinformed article.

1. No one is saying Palmer is coming back.

2. They talk about cap situations, and they bring Larry Fitzgerald in as the reason for it? 14 million to Tyrann Mathieu, 10mil to Veldheer, and 10mil Iupati, you lose Stanton, Bethel, Dawson........not to mention the only thing known about the extension money wise for Fitzgerald is a 4.5 mil signing bonus.

3. It just sounds like a wet blanket statement. Valid points, but to center it around the ONLY reliable wide receiver on the roster, is ridiculous.

If Fitzgerald is not extended I guarantee there is an article 4 months from now on how the Cardinals have NO receivers on top of all that is stated below. Last time this organization let a wide receiver walk because of money ,the money got spent on trash anyway.

Haters gonna hate, I guess.

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
Deal is for $11M with a $1M incentive if he becomes the #2 WR in all-time receiving yards.

Hollywood

is part black.
Reaction score
Mesa, Arizona, USA, Planet Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Ugh, I've been hearing people say for the last couple years that this is the last hurrah 4 Palmer, Fitz and Arians. Clearly you people don't know what you're talking about. Did it ever occur to you that Larry might not want to end his career the way Jerry Rice did. Bouncing from Team to team and contributing little. Isn't he leading the league in receptions? Why wouldn't he want to come back for another year. You still one of the best receivers in football.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Reaction score
And if this were about Anquan you would be singing a very different tune! [emoji12]

I highly doubt Fitz will be brought back at $15 Million next year... I’m guessing it would be $10 Million and again, the debate will be to show how that prevented the Cards from making “better” moves...

Good guess 82.

82CardsGrad

7 x 70
Reaction score
It’s called a salary cap. Every dollar spent on a near retirement Fitz is a dollar less than can be spent on a younger player, or three. I can’t believe you don’t understand that.

I love the idea of Fitz getting to #2 and for my boys to watch him one more season, but if this move means stretching the current old guys rule gang and effectively delaying the Mich needed rebuild youth movement we may lament this move.

This is a tough one that pits head against heart.

I completely disagree on this misinformed article.

1. No one is saying Palmer is coming back.

2. They talk about cap situations, and they bring Larry Fitzgerald in as the reason for it? 14 million to Tyrann Mathieu, 10mil to Veldheer, and 10mil Iupati, you lose Stanton, Bethel, Dawson........not to mention the only thing known about the extension money wise for Fitzgerald is a 4.5 mil signing bonus.

3. It just sounds like a wet blanket statement. Valid points, but to center it around the ONLY reliable wide receiver on the roster, is ridiculous.

If Fitzgerald is not extended I guarantee there is an article 4 months from now on how the Cardinals have NO receivers on top of all that is stated below. Last time this organization let a wide receiver walk because of money ,the money got spent on trash anyway.

Haters gonna hate, I guess.

See the above post from Rugby... I think you and Shane are dead wrong in terms of how you are viewing the Fitz return possibility.

overseascardfan

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Here is what I think is going to happen. There have been local radio grumblings that management is considering keeping Palmer for next year and I think he is the 1 year stop gap for what I hope is Baker Mayfield's redshirt year which I feel will coincide with BA staying one more year and leaving when Mayfield's time comes. Gabbert most likely will be the third string guy as Keim probably has learned that with this OL its best to carry more than 2 QB's. This obviously now takes up a lot of the cap room that we were hoping to fix some of our shortcomings which puts even more pressure on Keim to really kill it in the draft and I mean in a good way...not tank like the last couple of years.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No disrespect, but I can’t express how overrated this notion is. If he hasn’t been traded to another team at this point for this reason, it’s likely not happening.

I find it weird for fans to openly clamor to trade their top player out of fairness to him when he wants to be here.

Big D

...and STILL...
Reaction score
I find it weird for fans to openly clamor to trade their top player out of fairness to him when he wants to be here.

My post said to leave it up to Fitz. Should he desire to be traded to a contender when we outright suck again next year they should do everything in their power to accommodate him. He deserves it.

If that is not wants he wants, great, so be it- but again all I said was that he should have the final say. A no-trade clause only covers half of the equation.

Fitz has built up WAY more goodwill with me than this current regime has, so IMO he has more than earned the right to request a trade and be accommodated accordingly.

Sorry if you think that makes me a "weird" fan.