NFL.com Cardinals Projected Starters

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Brown, to me, looked like a signing of a veteran the scouting staff knows can play better than the current roster guy. I'd wager he has the best chance to start at LG immediately. The good thing is that the Cardinals now have some depth on the IOL. Wilkerson if kept, has played a ton and has had some up and down stretches, but that's fairly common for NFL backup players. The same can be said about Colon last year.

And there are some young options as well with Adams and Gaines. Id rather those two be kept overall, because I'd rather the Cardinals develop a pipeline of interior OL backups who pay their dues and take the job from the starters through competition.

Monti has clearly made retooling the OL a priority and the team clearly wants to maul people on offense. My only quibble is that I still think more could be done for the front seven, but they seem to have a plan.
Look agt Philly. You need a strong OL to run the ball in the NFL.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
Ok, then let's look at 1st downs success rate based on receptions to 1st downs.

Geoff Swaim 73%
MHJ 72% (college average)
Trey McBride 58%
Micheal Wilson 57%
Zay Jone 54% (average over last 4 seasons)
Eliijah Higgins 53%
Gred Dortch 48%
Hollywood Brown 45%
Rondale Moore 39%

So, Dortch has the lowest returning number.
Those numbers should go up with MHJ attracting some safety help in coverage.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree regarding Brown. His contract is certainly a bit rich for a projected backup centre.

Evan Brown signed a 1 year , $2,350,000 contract with the Arizona Cardinals, including $650,000 signing bonus, $1,100,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $2,350,000. In 2024, Brown will earn a base salary of $1,445,000 and a signing bonus of $650,000, while carrying a cap hit of $2,320,000 and a dead cap value of $1,100,000.
IDK if I would read too much into that. They signed Dennis Daley last year to a two year deal for comparable money (750,000 signing bonus, 3.2 million overall, 1.75 million cap hit for 2024). Nobody is talking about him. He is an afterthought right now.

I do think Brown is better and part of his appeal is his versatility to play the three interior line positions well.

Garthshort

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
aj, while you say that we shouldn't read too much into the Brown signing, you then give reasons why we should (versatile and can play all IOL positions well).

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree regarding Brown. His contract is certainly a bit rich for a projected backup centre.

Evan Brown signed a 1 year , $2,350,000 contract with the Arizona Cardinals, including $650,000 signing bonus, $1,100,000 guaranteed, and an average annual salary of $2,350,000. In 2024, Brown will earn a base salary of $1,445,000 and a signing bonus of $650,000, while carrying a cap hit of $2,320,000 and a dead cap value of $1,100,000.
What I meant is that his contract doesn't mean he is being penciled in with the best chance to start at LG immediately. That's not slam dunk starter money.

He appears to be a good signing and I have no doubt he will compete for a starting spot. If doesn't get one, he is still a very good signing as you rotate him in to keep guys fresh. Valuable backup for the inevitable injuries.

Unlike last year, there is better competition on the offensive line. Adams is being called a potential starter. And, I don't expect Elijah Wilkinson to just roll over and give up his job. He actually played very well the last two, three games. Although he was pretty bad earlier in the year.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
What I meant is that his contract doesn't mean he is being penciled in with the best chance to start at LG immediately. That's not slam dunk starter money.

He appears to be a good signing and I have no doubt he will compete for a starting spot. If doesn't get one, he is still a very good signing as you rotate him in to keep guys fresh. Valuable backup for the inevitable injuries.

Unlike last year, there is better competition on the offensive line. Adams is being called a potential starter. And, I don't expect Elijah Wilkinson to just roll over and give up his job. He actually played very well the last two, three games. Although he was pretty bad earlier in the year.
Also, you need those guys that can play multiple positions as back up. Rarely does the OL go a whole season with their starters playing every game. 17 games is a LONG time now.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score

With top starting guards getting 20mil what we paid Brown is basically top backup money

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Also, you need those guys that can play multiple positions as back up. Rarely does the OL go a whole season with their starters playing every game. 17 games is a LONG time now.
I'm actually thinking we may lose Beachum this off season... if the rookie is who folks are saying he is..we don't need two swing tackles...and Wilkinson plays both guard and tackle.
So Brown, Wilkinson, and the rookie OT will be our backups if Adam's wins the start... that's 8 olinemen on the roster...

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I'm actually thinking we may lose Beachum this off season... if the rookie is who folks are saying he is..we don't need two swing tackles...and Wilkinson plays both guard and tackle.
So Brown, Wilkinson, and the rookie OT will be our backups if Adam's wins the start... that's 8 olinemen on the roster...

I get the feeling that Beachum's demise has been predicted almost since the year he came into the League.

I doubt the coaches will trust a later-round rookie with the very important role of backup swing tackle.

Is there any evidence that Wilkinson is better at it than Beach?

Every year, posters skimp on the number of o-linemen they keep, and invariably, they keep 10.

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I get the feeling that Beachum's demise has been predicted almost since the year he came into the League.

I doubt the coaches will trust a later-round rookie with the very important role of backup swing tackle.

Is there any evidence that Wilkinson is better at it than Beach?

Every year, posters skimp on the number of o-linemen they keep, and invariably, they keep 10.
They may keep 10... also possible they stash the rookie on the PS for half the season. But from what I'm hearing the rook can play both sides and is expected to be our starting RT by the time Williams contract expires...if that's the case he is gonna need live snaps along the way.. I'm a big Beach fan...but if the rook is showing the talent we can't let a 36 year old guy stand in front of him for long... the bright side is the Beach does have some trade value due to skills and versatility...not a lot..but a little..
They could stash the rook with a protected spot on the PS, let him develop..then move Beach at the deadline...maybe get a conditional 5th..or 6th..
This staff is leaning heavily towards youth and I just don't see them keeping him if we have a young guy that can do what he provides while also getting better with time instead of worse.

QuebecCard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
They may keep 10... also possible they stash the rookie on the PS for half the season. But from what I'm hearing the rook can play both sides and is expected to be our starting RT by the time Williams contract expires...if that's the case he is gonna need live snaps along the way.. I'm a big Beach fan...but if the rook is showing the talent we can't let a 36 year old guy stand in front of him for long... the bright side is the Beach does have some trade value due to skills and versatility...not a lot..but a little..
They could stash the rook with a protected spot on the PS, let him develop..then move Beach at the deadline...maybe get a conditional 5th..or 6th..
This staff is leaning heavily towards youth and I just don't see them keeping him if we have a young guy that can do what he provides while also getting better with time instead of worse.

Too many moving pieces.

If the kid's that good, the team won't be sneaking him by 31 teams to the PS.

They'll keep Beach (IMO) because winning is first and foremost, and this starts with protecting Kyler.

There's plenty of time to get the kid up to NFL speed without forcing it.

Yuma

Suns are my Kryptonite!
Reaction score
That's a lot of Linemen. You could always trade Beachum for a low round pick or a different position player if you were confident of the guys you have now.

SoonerLou

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
If Greg Dortsch is in your top 3 WR’s, you have a bad WR room.

He’s a feel good story #5 that can make the occasional play.

The top 3 are Marvin, Wilson, Jones.
I...sorta agree. If Dortch surprises/steps up then great.

Now just gotta hope Zay Jones isnt washed.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crazy_Player