Fitz extension to 2018

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
I LOVE that Larry will be back. Keim really backed us into a corner at that position, and without him, we'd be screwed.

That said, I have to agree with a few others about concerns raised by this extension.

I’m happy Larry is staying, but I really want a rookie QB starting next year.

This. Very much this.

I'm happy to watch Larry for another year, but if they're really going for "one more run" with the same D and ST coordinator AND pass up a QB of the future, I'll be furious.

And yet I'm afraid this is exactly what this extension signifies. Be prepared for the frustration.

Seriously, if we go with the 'one more run' mindset and don't make the playoffs, BASK should be on the first plane out of town.

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
Larry is Larry. But can we afford to pay Palmer 25 mil at this stage in his career without handicapping the rest of the team.?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Larry is Larry. But can we afford to pay Palmer 25 mil at this stage in his career without handicapping the rest of the team.?

Good question. I fear the answe is "no" if we really want to be a contender... which this team hasn't been this or last season.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
I’m happy Larry is staying, but I really want a rookie QB starting next year.

It seems likely that Fitz got some assurances that Palmer will return next season. Fitz is adamant that he's playing for a ring at this point, and I highly doubt he came back to help develop a rookie.

Metcalf Rules

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
This is great news. I think the day Fitzgerald retires will be one of the saddest days for me as a sports fan. Here’s hoping the Cards make the right moves to become legit contenders again. Even if Palmer comes back, they need to address QB situation. For all this talk of Arians being a qb guru, they’ve drafted one since he’s been coach.. and that guy’s not even a qb anymore. But its great that Fitz appears to be coming back.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Has Palmer actually confirmed his plans to play next year? All the guessing from the "experts" has been consistently suggesting he's done...

No, but from what I've read, it certainly doesn't seem out of the question, especially with how this season has (likely) ended. Also, I don't know how one could turn down $25 million.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
And if this were about Anquan you would be singing a very different tune! [emoji12]

I highly doubt Fitz will be brought back at $15 Million next year... I’m guessing it would be $10 Million and again, the debate will be to show how that prevented the Cards from making “better” moves...
It’s called a salary cap. Every dollar spent on a near retirement Fitz is a dollar less than can be spent on a younger player, or three. I can’t believe you don’t understand that.

I love the idea of Fitz getting to #2 and for my boys to watch him one more season, but if this move means stretching the current old guys rule gang and effectively delaying the Mich needed rebuild youth movement we may lament this move.

This is a tough one that pits head against heart.

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
It seems likely that Fitz got some assurances that Palmer will return next season. Fitz is adamant that he's playing for a ring at this point, and I highly doubt he came back to help develop a rookie.
Yeah, and Palmer's salary kills the team and he will out again due to constantly getting killed by more hits than any mortal man can take. He is a warrior, but he is going to get killed behind this line. He cannot take this abuse at his age. He will collect his money and and this team is history.

daves

Keepin' it real!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
can we afford to pay Palmer 25 mil
Good point, but just for the record Palmer's salary in 2018 wild be $12.5M, with a $20.625M cap hit. But if he's cut out retires there's a $6.625M dead money cost, so the difference between Palmer being on the roster or not is "only" $14M.

...dave

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Well he def aint coming back to win a ring... hahahaa not with Palmer

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s called a salary cap. Every dollar spent on a near retirement Fitz is a dollar less than can be spent on a younger player, or three. I can’t believe you don’t understand that.

I love the idea of Fitz getting to #2 and for my boys to watch him one more season, but if this move means stretching the current old guys rule gang and effectively delaying the Mich needed rebuild youth movement we may lament this move.

This is a tough one that pits head against heart.

Voice of reason

Hoodhero

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I fear the long time outlook is bleak if BA returns with his staff unchanged next yr along with Carson & Fitz for around the same money.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I fear the long time outlook is bleak if BA returns with his staff unchanged next yr along with Carson & Fitz for around the same money.

1 bazillion %

Syracusecards

DA's pass went that way
Reaction score
guys... this doesn’t mean he has decided he’s going to play. it just means that he will be a cardinal if he decides to play next year. I would still be willing to bet that this is his last year and he retires

az jam

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I like it but it's way too early to form any conclusions an anything other than Larry will be a Cardinal next year if he doesn't retire. That should not be a surprise to anyone.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sure he adds "value" but at what expense.. He is still producing but he is slower and he is dropping more balls. And this team needs WAY TOO MUCH in other areas.. It will be interesting to see the cost.. I too will be pissed if we are doing this as a last harrah with this old aging going nowhere cast of characters..
I bet it's 10mil

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score

Too bad. We're not making a run with Palmer next season.

Well he def aint coming back to win a ring... hahahaa not with Palmer

+1

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
No rookie QB is going to flourish in BAs system. If BA is still the coach Palmer is still better than a rook, let the rook learn from him.
Andrew Luck three for 4000+ yards and made the playoffs and Pro bowl in BA’s system.

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Can we talk for a second about the fact that this could mean Adrian Peterson and David Johnson in the same backfield.

Can we?

Will that be a dynamic duo or a time bomb when AP isn't getting the ball asuch as he wants?

Treesquid PhD

Pardon my Engrish
Reaction score
The reason is clear - John Brown is gone, while I would not put it past stubborn fat Steve Kiem to give him Julio Jones money, I think he has maybe 2 years in the league as a #3 or 4 WR at best left.

The other Browns and skinny guys they play at WR are also worthless, so I expect that the Cards will likely draft another WR in the second or third and have Fitz mentor them. Another possibility, is that they hit free agency and grab a solid #1 who is larger than 5'10 180. But again Arians and Kim like their WR's like they like women, small and soft.

Syracusecards

DA's pass went that way
Reaction score
one last thought on this tonight. Larry wants to go quietly into retirement, he doesn’t want fanfare. This is EXACTLY how I could see him doing it. Not promising a return and not promising retirement. Keep us all wondering and hopeful, but not to the the point we’d be mad at him or feel betrayed for deciding to retire. I think this is why he is so beloved, he goes out of his way to not offend but also to not compromise the way he wants to live.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crazy_Player