Faith No More

KingLouieLouie

Going Old School!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know I have posted about FNM a few times prior, but have never dedicated an entire thread to them.

I haven't been listening to them a lot recently (especially "Angel Dust") for the first time in quite awhile and it's remarkable how fresh their sound is compared to what is out there today.

"Angel Dust" alone was a genius of an album. Mike Patton at his best lyrically/vocally (although do love his work w/Mr. Bungle and his other projects).

They were definitely a forerunner/trailblazer who inspired several other countless bands, but rarely some times don't receive the recognition they deserve.

Mike Bordin is one of the top-notch drummers of all-time, Roddy Bottum is stellar on keyboards, Jim Martin (the band did go downhill after his rather abrupt dismissal) added a lot to the sound scape, and Billy Gould anchored them on bass in a very impressive manner..(especially his work on "Falling To Pieces" off of "the Real Thing" how he elevate that song into an entirely other stratosphere).

I often wonder if Grunge (even though they inspired quite a few bands from that movement) prevented them from achieving higher success to rank among the elite bands from that era. I guess also they emerged toward the end of the "Hair Bands".....

I personally believe they should be ranked/viewed at equal levels of Guns-N-Roses..if even higher..... Just truly one of the most influential bands to surface in the late 80s-early 90s.

vince56

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I love Faith No More. I still can't believe that their career ended after such a great album as "Album of the Year". I love that disc.

Yeah, King for a day was not very good, but everything else in their catalog especially Angel Dust & The Real Thing were just fantastic.

I'm not sure if you're aware, but Mike Patton has done quite a bit lately, appearing in video games like The Darkness & Portal. He's a busy man for someone no longer in a major band. His unique voice talent has kept him very busy.

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
The Real Thing is still great. One of very few 80's albums that still sounds good today, imo. Album of the Year was also excellent.

FischerKing

Beer me a post...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Weird - i was just having a conversation about this band with a group of friends a week ago about how much we liked them and how talented and great some of their songs were.

They had some serious talent in that group.

shawn

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson