ESPN: Kliff might quit

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
to further that point...

this is just not a Head Coach of any legitimate team outside pee-wee level football. He won't critique players in public... fine. different strokes for different folks with coaches. But he won't actually pinpoint specific players' problems/mistakes in private either? Talks more in generalities? Maybe that works in pop-warner where you don't want to kill a kid's ego early on and it's more about fun than winning, but the NFL... or even college or even high school?

A coach who can't criticize players in public is one thing, but one who won't hold them accountable behind the scenes either isn't a coach... he's a bad freaking babysitter that just wants the kids to like him even as they're throwing crap against the walls and calling him a douche.
That doesn’t even work in pee-see becasue then the kids never acquire the skills necessary to play.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Amen....As I read peoples comments I see too many comments that are making KK out as a victim (something we here a lot of now). That is not my taste. There are enough people up and down the line who have their hand in the cookie jar who helped make this situation a mess. Sadly better chance than not the team will no attract top notch office talent. Only chance of that is paying obscene amount of money that and that might not work either. KK is not head coaching material at NFL or top level school.
This

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
By all means, this franchise has some major issues this year, but I saw the interview with Weinfuss on PHNX Sports and he was noncommittal while this whole story came across based more on opinion than a lot of factual insider information. News today in general is all the same it seems no matter the subject matter, no substantial content

Harry

ASFN Consultant and Senior Writer
Reaction score
LOL. Look at the stadium shots and tell me they’re selling all the tickets now—after a 10-win season when they made the playoffs.
I‘m betting the vast majority of those empty seats are paid for but can’t be re-sold.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The “won’t let Kliff be great” comment was easily the best part. Reminds me of scrub HS athlete who didn’t make it and still blames his JV football coach.

I say this while fully admitting Keim and Bidwill are a joke.
People haven’t been letting Kliff be great for close to a decade now. Why won’t they just let him be great?!?

Redsz

We do this together
Reaction score
Everytime I see it I still can't believe it...is Owners of teams breaking down game film with the coaches a normal thing in the NFL? Not a Kliff defender by any means (want him gone) but dealing with Keim and Bidwill daily must be soul crushing
No, it's not normal. However, it is normal for the HC, GM and owner to debrief at points during the season.

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
People haven’t been letting Kliff be great for close to a decade now. Why won’t they just let him be great?!?
You never know when it's an organization as bad as the Cards. Look at Belichick. His win % with the Browns is the same as what Kliff has right now with the Cards. Sometimes the institutional rot is even greater than the GOAT.

I'm not saying that Kliff is going to be the next Belichick but it wouldn't surprise me in the least if he has more success at his next gig. This apple is rotten to the core thanks to the inept owner.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
You never know when it's an organization as bad as the Cards. Look at Belichick. His win % with the Browns is the same as what Kliff has right now with the Cards. Sometimes the institutional rot is even greater than the GOAT.

I'm not saying that Kliff is going to be the next Belichick but it wouldn't surprise me in the least if he has more success at his next gig. This apple is rotten to the core thanks to the inept owner.
It would be very surprising.

If Kliff’s past coaching history aligned with someone like a Steve Spurrier or even a Lincoln Riley then I could see the point. Not a guy who arguably peaked 10 years ago & has gone down since.

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
It would be very surprising.

If Kliff’s past coaching history aligned with someone like a Steve Spurrier or even a Lincoln Riley then I could see the point. Not a guy who arguably peaked 10 years ago & has gone down since.
To be clear, I don't expect it to happen. I'm just saying that I think it's harder to judge someone out of an organization like the Cards or Browns because of how dysfunctional the organizations are as a whole. My best friend is a big Browns fan and he always says "You don't change Cleveland, Cleveland changes you" whenever we talk about anyone failing there.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
somehow both Carson Wentz and Jarad Goff were traded and the trading teams got back valuable stuff in return

i think here is where the Cards dysfunctional reputation helps: i am sure there are plenty of FO execs out there that would rationalize Murray's struggles as mostly HC and roster related
Not the problem. If we traded him now, we would have something like 97million dead money against the cap. We literally wouldn't be able to field a full roster with the money left.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
He's not even having surgery until January 3rd! I hope there's a medical reason for waiting so long. Maybe they had to wait for swelling to go down?

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
He's not even having surgery until January 3rd! I hope there's a medical reason for waiting so long. Maybe they had to wait for swelling to go down?

Yeah they have to wait 2-3 weeks. Also over this period a lot of people are on vacation.

The top doc's ain't cancelling their Aspen Christmas.

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think Kliff tries to hold his players accountable. Hop reported that his touches were cut back because he was late to a meeting.

Problem was - His remedy didn’t work.

i.e. Kliff addressed the problem. He apparently didn’t address it well. There is an art element to managing, developing and motivating people. Kliff did the appropriate thing. but not necessary the effective thing.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
I think Kliff tries to hold his players accountable. Hop reported that his touches were cut back because he was late to a meeting.

Problem was - His remedy didn’t work.

i.e. Kliff addressed the problem. He apparently didn’t address it well. There is an art element to managing, developing and motivating people. Kliff did the appropriate thing. but not necessary the effective thing.
Don't know if it was discussed here, but Hop also missed the Christmas pictures with his teammates. (Note: those could have been done way in advance when he was suspended, but I don't know.)

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Don't know if it was discussed here, but Hop also missed the Christmas pictures with his teammates. (Note: those could have been done way in advance when he was suspended, but I don't know.)

I think these are done before the season. I recall past ones with players cut or traded months ago.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose