ESPN: Kliff might quit

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
See ya!

I tried to tell ya 4 years ago the day he was hired this guy is a mediocre HC at any level at best. Watching too many Tech games when he was there was a dead giveaway about his ineptitude. Pretty sad when the exiting GM did he job better than Kliff did.

Next step, send Blowseph on his way as well. He cannot be the next HC! Cannot!!!

We as fans should be relieved & crossing our fingers we have a chance to reset at the possibility of actually getting better organizationally. Please oh Lord

OP
OP
football karma

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score
But his contract does not. We are indeed stuck with Murray for--if I remember right--at least 2 years after this.
somehow both Carson Wentz and Jarad Goff were traded and the trading teams got back valuable stuff in return

i think here is where the Cards dysfunctional reputation helps: i am sure there are plenty of FO execs out there that would rationalize Murray's struggles as mostly HC and roster related

Crimson Warrior

Dangerous Murray Zealot
Reaction score
Nobody quits $35 million. Nobody.

True, but there's also little doubt that Kingsbury is in a living hell right now.

Tomorrow night, after another embarrassing loss (in prime time and on Christmas day no less), I bet Kingsbury will be secretly hoping for the axe to fall, and to end the nightmare.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
It's not Kliff direct, but "sources close to Kliff"...lol Maybe he's outsmarting everyone and trying to get fired, instead of quitting.
He’s trying to get fired. You don’t “anonymously” trash the organization and QB to the media week before a nationally televised game and expect to retain one’s job.

OP
OP
football karma

football karma

Reaction score
He’s trying to get fired. You don’t “anonymously” trash the organization and QB to the media week before a nationally televised game and expect to retain one’s job.
or said differently: if you are a "source close to Kliff", you don't jeopardize your boys' job without some tacit approval to talk to ESPN

all signs point to Eric Burkhardt, whose job it is to tell your clients side of the story to preserve his future job prospects

OP
OP
football karma

football karma

Reaction score
putting the pieces together:

the earlier report on Keim's "unprofessionalism" and comments on how the FO and coaching staff werent working together added to this report that noted that Keim was increasingly not available...

sheds light on the kicker situation from earlier in the year:

a shaky kicker misses a kick in Philly.

Inexplicably they keep him for another week -- but the coaching staff effectively refuses to use him: passing on makable kicks in a close game in favor of going for it.

it just screams "problem" between FO and staff. would love to know the full details of that episode

MrYeahBut

4 Food groups: beans, chili, cheese, bacon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
NEWSFLASH:

MrYeahBut might quit too! Problem is there is no other NFC team that's remotely likable plus I've been a fan my entire life. No way to change now. My wife feels the same way. She's been a Bronco fan her entire life and both of our teams are an abject disaster. She, at least likes Burrow so she has someone to root for.

Hating football at the present. I barely even watch any more. No reason to sit through endless commercials just to watch a team you hate blow chunks. I'd rather have a boil on the back of my neck that sit through a game.

I told all my family, do not, repeat, do not give me anything Cardinal related for Christmas. I'm an ingrate!

I got nuttin'

Zalixar

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
NEWSFLASH:

MrYeahBut might quit too! Problem is there is no other NFC team that's remotely likable plus I've been a fan my entire life. No way to change now. My wife feels the same way. She's been a Bronco fan her entire life and both of our teams are an abject disaster. She, at least likes Burrow so she has someone to root for.

Hating football at the present. I barely even watch any more. No reason to sit through endless commercials just to watch a team you hate blow chunks.

I told all my family, do not, repeat, do not give me anything Cardinal related for Christmas. I'm an ingrate!

I got nuttin'

The difference is the Broncos have won several SB's in her lifetime, as well as general success. Your fanship may be similar now, but it's much harder being a Cards fan. We got NOTHING.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
True, but there's also little doubt that Kingsbury is in a living hell right now.

Tomorrow night, after another embarrassing loss (in prime time and on Christmas day no less), I bet Kingsbury will be secretly hoping for the axe to fall, and to end the nightmare.

Sure. He's still not quitting. They could make him dress up as a hot dog while he sings yankee doodle dandee on the sidelines but he still wouldn't quit.

MrYeahBut

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The difference is the Broncos have won several SB's in her lifetime, as well as general success. Your fanship may be similar now, but it's much harder being a Cards fan. We got NOTHING.

I tell her that and she says she doesn't care. She hates the front office, Russell Wilson-who they gave away the farm for, Elway for drafting the likes of Trevor Simon and Drew Lock etc, Hackett, Paxton, et all. You'd never see a bigger fan than my cousin Jimbo from Ft Collins and he texts me every Sunday about how much he hates them. He was totally excited for me that the Cards drafted his favorite player from C State, Trey McBride and now he hates him too... lol

Zalixar

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I tell her that and she says she doesn't care. She hates the front office, Russell Wilson-who they gave away the farm for, Elway for drafting the likes of Trevor Simon and Drew Lock etc, Hackett, Paxton, et all. You'd never see a bigger fan than my cousin Jimbo from Ft Collins and he texts me every Sunday about how much he hates them. He was totally excited for me that the Cards drafted his favorite player from C State, Trey McBride and now he hates him too... lol

Must be nice to blow off SB wins. No sympathy here.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
or said differently: if you are a "source close to Kliff", you don't jeopardize your boys' job without some tacit approval to talk to ESPN

all signs point to Eric Burkhardt, whose job it is to tell your clients side of the story to preserve his future job prospects
I doubt it’s Burkhardt with the Kyler criticism mixed in there.

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
How in the world does she hate the Trevor Siemian pick? He was a 7th rounder who actually had some production and success...lol

Definitely hate on them for Lunch and Lock, but not Trevor.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think Kiff might consider a buyout, but he is not going to leave a boatload of money on the table.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
From a PR perspective it’s not a terrible move by all parties. Basically dare the owner to fire you and worst case a buyout/mutual agreement to leave is negotiated so owner saves face and a few bucks too and everyone moves on.

MrYeahBut

Supporting Member
Reaction score
How in the world does she hate the Trevor Siemian pick? He was a 7th rounder who actually had some production and success...lol

Definitely hate on them for Lunch and Lock, but not Trevor.

She didn't hate Jake when he was there. We went to a lot of games at SDS!

urs

All Star
Reaction score
Everytime I see it I still can't believe it...is Owners of teams breaking down game film with the coaches a normal thing in the NFL? Not a Kliff defender by any means (want him gone) but dealing with Keim and Bidwill daily must be soul crushing

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
Talks about the toll the season has taken on him...

Keim's presence in the building has been far less than years past, making it difficult for Kliff to make roster decisions...

Kliff wanted Kugler gone well before the Mexico fiasco...Bidwill wouldn't buy out Kugs contract, but it seems Kliff wanted him gone a long time ago...

This points to Kliff being frustrated at his lack of being able to hire/fire and have control over coaching personnel (I know he had zero say when he was hired, but they haven't given him any latitude since...I can see why he'd be frustrated. He's being held accountable for wins and losses, but doesn't have any control over roster or coaching staff.)

"He knows that it's not a situation that lends itself to him being happy and successful and at his best for that organization, which he wants to be," a source close to Kingsbury said. "They won't let him. They won't let him be great."

Talks about how strained the relationship is between the coach, the owner, the GM and the QB...

I think it's actually a good write up. I can remember back to last year, when Kliff was answering questions in a presser, how he talked about the emotional impact he was absorbing and how badly he wanted to win. I think he's a good guy and actually could be a good coach, but he's been hamstrung by morons running the team. By now he should have some say in roster and coaching staff. It shouldn't take an international incident to get a coach fired. If he's going to be held accountable, he needs to have some leeway.
“They won’t let him be great.” Lol. Sure. That’s it.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose