Early Opinions on Aaron Brooks.

jagu

#13 - Legendary
Reaction score
I'm impressed. He still needs to get some good practice time but this guy is an offensive weapon.

ninous26

Registered
Reaction score
definitely a good trade and a huge upgrade over goran. Future PG of the franchise for sure IMO.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
And he is still recuperating from a leg injury. Man, does this show how Dragic didn't fit Nash's system. Or how Barbosa didn't fit the position.

It's a shame that the Suns brass waited years until Steve's skills have started eroding to back him up properly.

Tonight vs. the Bucks, Steve played 28 minutes at PG and Aaron played 20. 'Getting closer to the 24/24 split I mentioned before the game started.

In a related note, once again Gortat came in at the 6 or 5 minute mark of the 1st and 3rd quarters and played the rest of each half. 17 or 18 minutes at a clip.

Frye might be playing a similar schedule, but he expends a lot less energy than the Hammer by camping out at the 3-point line on offense and is not in Gortat's league on defense.

Suns 101 - how to wear out your best players.

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
And he is still recuperating from a leg injury. Man, does this show how Dragic didn't fit Nash's system. Or how Barbosa didn't fit the position.

It's a shame that the Suns brass waited years until Steve's skills have started eroding to back him up properly.

Tonight vs. the Bucks, Steve played 28 minutes at PG and Aaron played 20. 'Getting closer to the 24/24 split I mentioned before the game started.

In a related note, once again Gortat came in at the 6 or 5 minute mark of the 1st and 3rd quarters and played the rest of each half. 17 or 18 minutes at a clip.

Frye might be playing a similar schedule, but he expends a lot less energy than the Hammer by camping out at the 3-point line on offense and is not in Gortat's league on defense.

Did Nash get to start out with Gortat instead of Lopez like Brooks did? Have we ever tried that? Can we leave Gortat in after we rest Nash in the first quarter? Does Lopez ruin our chances or is it Gentry thinking Carter is JRich and Fropez.... I just puked.

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Brooks is awesome, that's 2 good trades in a row. Trying to refrain from busting on Gentry's ********.

Start the same guys right? That's the best path right? Lopez deserves starting over Gortat right?

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
He's good.

Aaron Brooks is what Kemba Walker is gonna look like.

scotsman13

Reaction score
Brooks is awesome, that's 2 good trades in a row. Trying to refrain from busting on Gentry's ********.

Start the same guys right? That's the best path right? Lopez deserves starting over Gortat right?

Brooks could be the Golden Child reborn and he still wouldn't come close to being with the draft pick let alone Dragic and the draft pick.

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
Brooks could be the Golden Child reborn and he still wouldn't come close to being with the draft pick let alone Dragic and the draft pick.

I don't understand, are you saying that Brooks isn't WORTH the draft pick, let alone Dragic and the pick?

Hate to tell you, but after 3 games, he already is worth more than a late-teens draft pick.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just looking at the Suns from the draft perspective, the Suns would do well to just miss the playoffs, thus having a lottery pick, and then consider Brooks as their Orlando pick.

GYDevil

Veteran
Reaction score
Playoffs or Bust

Just looking at the Suns from the draft perspective, the Suns would do well to just miss the playoffs, thus having a lottery pick, and then consider Brooks as their Orlando pick.

I don't understand the logic here. The Suns are 17-7 in their last 24 games. They have 22 games left. If they go 15-7 or 14-8 they are a lock to make the playoffs and have a shot at a 5-7 seed. I know the Spurs, Mavs and Lakers will be tough but the Suns beat the Spurs and took the Lakers to the brink just last year and the Mavs are perennial playoff underachievers. You would give that up just to improve 3-4 draft spots? No thanks.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't understand the logic here. The Suns are 17-7 in their last 24 games. They have 22 games left. If they go 15-7 or 14-8 they are a lock to make the playoffs and have a shot at a 5-7 seed. I know the Spurs, Mavs and Lakers will be tough but the Suns beat the Spurs and took the Lakers to the brink just last year and the Mavs are perennial playoff underachievers. You would give that up just to improve 3-4 draft spots? No thanks.

As you may note, I said, "Just looking at the Suns from the draft perspective."

I am torn about wanting the Suns to win and wanting what is best for the team. The Suns will have the Orlando pick if they make the playoffs.

AfroSuns

ASFN Lifer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I used to despise Brooks; well naturally he played for the other team and always been a punk.
I am pleased with the trade so far considering he is not 100% yet and obviously gimpy. I don't know if he is the PG of the future but he is probably the best PG backup the Suns have had in the Nash era.

AsUdUdE

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I am not saying Brooks has been a world beater, but I thought it looked like a decent trade from the start, but there were SOOOO many haters on this board slamming the trade like it was KT all over again...

I wonder where they are now? ;)

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am not saying Brooks has been a world beater, but I thought it looked like a decent trade from the start, but there were SOOOO many haters on this board slamming the trade like it was KT all over again...

Actually, I don't think there were as many as it might have seemed. Multiple posts on the subject by a few people that hated it made it appear the board was decidedly anti-Brooks. I think most of us fell somewhere between the "hopeful" to "wait and see" crowd.

Steve

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score

This is what Utah did at the end of Stockton's career.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score

I dont post here much and its because I am convinced half the regulars on this forum don't know anything about basketball or the NBA. Its one thing to have a unpopular opinion. Its another to become a cariacture of yourself and half the time I can cite the EXACT article where some of these opinions were parroted from. Whatever.

Anyone who is "surprised" that Aaron Brooks is good and this type of player are likely the fans who will bash anything the team does, because they like fitting into the prototype of the suffering Suns fan. Anyone who watched Houston the pasttwo years knew what type of player he was. I bet if he remains in a bench role over the next 5 years hes a no doubt 6th man of the year IMO.

Fact is the past two trades, the Channing and Warrick signings, and most everything else done since Babby and Blanks have been running things, make sense on almost every level. The only mistake was the Turk trade and they fixed that move in almost record time.

Personally I am excited for the future. I just wish we would have traded for Kevin Love before he exploded and became untouchable.

Forrestham

Freebird62
Reaction score
I think Brooks is a good fit for the Suns. He plays at a fast pace which is good for the suns. Plus he is a different type of point card than Nash and gives them a different look and style. He reminds me a lot of KJ. The Suns got him at a buy low. They gave up Dragic and a pick no higher than the 17-18 pick

devilalum

Heavily Redacted
Reaction score
I dont post here much and its because I am convinced half the regulars on this forum don't know anything about basketball or the NBA. Its one thing to have a unpopular opinion. Its another to become a cariacture of yourself and half the time I can cite the EXACT article where some of these opinions were parroted from. Whatever.

Anyone who is "surprised" that Aaron Brooks is good and this type of player are likely the fans who will bash anything the team does, because they like fitting into the prototype of the suffering Suns fan. Anyone who watched Houston the pasttwo years knew what type of player he was. I bet if he remains in a bench role over the next 5 years hes a no doubt 6th man of the year IMO.

Fact is the past two trades, the Channing and Warrick signings, and most everything else done since Babby and Blanks have been running things, make sense on almost every level. The only mistake was the Turk trade and they fixed that move in almost record time.

Personally I am excited for the future. I just wish we would have traded for Kevin Love before he exploded and became untouchable.

You must be registered for see images attach

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
This is true. No GM is going to avoid mistakes altogether. The big question is how long it takes for him to admit them and what he does to correct.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I still like Childress and I'm not even sure the Hedo deal was such a horrible decision. Sure, he was a bad fit here but there was some talk over the summer about acquiring assets (I assume tradable assets) and in the end, that's all they did.

I hated losing JR but it was going to happen anyway because playing alongside Nash had unreasonably increased his salary expectations (IMO). Getting Gortat out of JR and Hedo is a pretty good deal AFAIC and throwing in Pietrus and the possibility of getting something from Carter makes it a great deal.

And now we've added Brooks at the cost of a 20-ish draft pick plus a player that has hurt us much more than he's helped us during his tenure with the Suns. I don't see how you can give this management group anything less than a solid A so far. I still have concerns that Sarver will do something rash but that's lingering doubt caused mostly by the earlier draft pick fire sales.

Steve

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I like how he played against the celtics even though we lost, he had a great game. I hope he turns out to be the suns pg of the future that would be nice. Also he is blazing fast!!!

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I like how he played against the celtics even though we lost, he had a great game. I hope he turns out to be the suns pg of the future that would be nice. Also he is blazing fast!!!
And he immediately looked comfortable in the current system, which allows Nash to start getting some rest without delay. It came at just the right time.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't understand, are you saying that Brooks isn't WORTH the draft pick, let alone Dragic and the pick?

Hate to tell you, but after 3 games, he already is worth more than a late-teens draft pick.

+1

That odds are that draft pick would end up being a project player. Not only that but early predictions are the Suns are gong to take a PF with their first pick anyway.

Brooks has shown more in a backup PG role than we have seen in ages.

jlove

AZ Born and Bred!!!
Reaction score
All those people who complained about the Brooks for Dragic deal (not including last night)...so far Brooks shooting 10% FG higher, 6% 3FG less (unbelievably Dragic at 56% and Brooks at 50%), 23% FT higher, 1.7 rbds less, 1.3 asts more (who is the better guy to find the open shooter?), .5 TO more, and 1.5 pts higher than Dragic. Plus the Suns 2nd unit isn't losing any momentum that the 1st unit started, unlike that with Dragic.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RedzBetz