dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

hafey

Registered
Reaction score
It just doesn't seem D'Antoni's MO to draft that guy. There will be plenty of skilled bigmen in the draft anyways.

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
D'Antoni is more likely to draft guys like Josh McRoberts or Nick Fazekas, who have size but also have shooting range. Thabeet is going to be very raw offensively and probably won't be a good dribbler or passer.

BTW, this draft looks really weak on PG's.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
D'Antoni is more likely to draft guys like Josh McRoberts or Nick Fazekas, who have size but also have shooting range. Thabeet is going to be very raw offensively and probably won't be a good dribbler or passer.

BTW, this draft looks really weak on PG's.

With Barbosa, Diaw, and even Banks, I am not really worried about our PG situation. I would like to see more SF and PF/C depth out of this draft.

jbeecham

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I'm not really worried about PG's either, although I wouldn't be surprised if Banks is traded with one of our picks. It just surprised me to only see 3 PG's going in the 1st rd on NBADraft.net because this is supposed to be a deep draft.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Thabeet is not like Sene. He is 7'3 and wide. He has NO OFFENSE but he plays basketball only for 4 or 5 years so he should have lots of room to improve.

This year is not going to be a PG draft, 2008 will be an absolutely awesome draft for PGs though.

Derrick Rose who is supposed to be even better than Mayo and the next Payton with Dwayne Wade like athleticism.
OJ Mayo who has a lot of hype.
Jerryd Bayless as a local product.
Eric Gordon probably more of a SG.

They are all from the same highschool class.

Btw, I like Shakur in the draft if we want another PG, he will go late first round at best so he wouldnt be hard to obtain and I think he improved a lot this year.

Last edited:

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score

Divide Et Impera

Reaction score
Thabeet is not like Sene. He is 7'3 and wide. He has NO OFFENSE but he plays basketball only for 4 or 5 years so he should have lots of room to improve.

I was speaking to his impact and how he will rate out his first few years. I don't know enough about either to make any fully informed opinions on them. Based on how you described Thabeet, it's the same thing that was said about Sene anyways. He's young to basketball, but projects to have tons of room to improve and potential. One's 7'0"/240lbs and the other is 7'3"/260lbs. Other than that, I don't know anything about them....

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
So far I like

Greg Oden - Obviously I think he is going to be every bit as good as David Robinson, I would trade everyone outside of Amare and Nash.

Kevin Durant - Not really a fan of him but he is pretty sure pick and likely allstar player, worst case he would be Rashard Lewis which is pretty good and would fit in with the Suns. Could replace Marion quickly in my opinion and will be better than Marion.

Chase Budinger - Local college product if he comes out I am sure the Suns like him. He is simply made for the Suns game. Would definately be a good pick and replace Raja Bell short and longterm.

Hasheem Thabeet - Project and no offense but still you can't pass up a 7'3 monster shotblocker with loads of potential

Domincic James - Dynamite PG, a bit short but he runs like Brevin Knight and is a high energy player with lots of fire.

Joakim Noah - Not really a fan but I must admit he would fit in pretty much perfect as a center. I guess he would be just behind Oden on the Suns list.

Brendan Wright - Going to be one hell of a PF, I could see him playing together with Amare. He is very skilled like Diaw so maybe Diaw would have to go, or Marion.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q249-Kk3Ub8 Pretty sick, just watched it the first time. I predict some crazy mockdrafts if he measures in over 6'10.

Players I dont like
Aaron Gray
Tiago Splitter
Yi Jianlian
Josh McRoberts

But overall I dont think you can do much wrong in this years draft. :)

As long as we keep our picks or use them to trade up I will be happy. I just dont want to give up picks in this draft unless we could get great picks for the 2008 draft at least.

Last edited:

tobiazz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Projected Pick #1 Greg Oden

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCYVQlg2NUQ
Very good video on Oden's All-McD game with some background information. Very worth watching and if you didn't know why there is no argument about Oden going #1, you will know after watching this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Hi3VVVWQlw&mode=related&search=
Another nice mix, highlight mix from Greg Oden vs Eric Gordon matchup in highschool.

He redefines "man among boys." I think guys like him, Lebron, and Amare must take some sort of growth hormones or they start weight training at age 10 (which can stunt your growth, supposedly).

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oden would have been the #1 pick 3 years ago, above LeBron IMO.

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
Oden would have been the #1 pick 3 years ago, above LeBron IMO.

No chance. He might have been #1 overall in every draft since then, though.

Thabeet is a guy the Suns will never, ever draft. Hey, I like 'Big Baby' Davis myself, but at some point you have to be realistic about what the Suns are looking for.

I would almost guarantee you that the Suns will get Joakim Noah if it's at all possible. Since their 'need' is at SF, they'll probably take a long look at Budinger, too (I hope so, anyway).

Mbah a Moute is the best Pac-10 prospect after Budinger, but he doesn't seem like the Suns' type. I might be wrong on this one, though.

It wouldn't surprise me if the Suns targeted either Marco Belinelli or Rudy Fernandez with a late pick. I also wouldn't be surprised if they take Tiago Splitter, just because it would be difficult for him to get out of his contract in Spain without the Suns' help.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
No chance. He might have been #1 overall in every draft since then, though.

Thabeet is a guy the Suns will never, ever draft. Hey, I like 'Big Baby' Davis myself, but at some point you have to be realistic about what the Suns are looking for.

I would almost guarantee you that the Suns will get Joakim Noah if it's at all possible. Since their 'need' is at SF, they'll probably take a long look at Budinger, too (I hope so, anyway).

Mbah a Moute is the best Pac-10 prospect after Budinger, but he doesn't seem like the Suns' type. I might be wrong on this one, though.

It wouldn't surprise me if the Suns targeted either Marco Belinelli or Rudy Fernandez with a late pick. I also wouldn't be surprised if they take Tiago Splitter, just because it would be difficult for him to get out of his contract in Spain without the Suns' help.

Belinelli, Fernandez, Splitter they are all exactly what the Suns dont need because they all dont play defense.

Also Mbah a Moute is a better prospect than Marcus Williams, Spencer Hawes, Quincy Pondexter...? I think not.

The Suns always wanted to get Mutombo on their run and gun teams, why wouldn't they look for Thabeet? At least he would be a bench player to play against Ming etc and he is quite athletic I thought.

Also I would hope Budinger plays SG in the pros because if he doesn't I wouldn't be interessted so much, I don't want a 6'7 SF.

If we want a SF to replace Marion, definately go for Durant.

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
Also Mbah a Moute is a better prospect than Marcus Williams, Spencer Hawes, Quincy Pondexter...? I think not.
Easily. Not only is Mbah a Moute the better player right now, he also has bigger upside.
The Suns always wanted to get Mutombo on their run and gun teams, why wouldn't they look for Thabeet? At least he would be a bench player to play against Ming etc and he is quite athletic I thought.
You're thinking of the guys who just traded for Rasho Nesterovic. The guys running who are currently the show are the ones who tried to get Drew Gooden to be the team's backup center.
If we want a SF to replace Marion, definately go for Durant.
Might as well ask for Oden. At least Noah is theoretically possible, if everything breaks just right. :shrug:

F-Dog

lurker
Reaction score
He'd need to slide to #5 for the Suns to have any chance, I think.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
He'd need to slide to #5 for the Suns to have any chance, I think.

Not really, there is a chance the Hawks pick could be #4 and then again we would have 3 picks in that draft to move up, I guess we could obtain most picks except #1.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I expect that Atlanta pick to end up in the 9-10 range when it is all done. So we ought to be talking about players that have a legit shot of going in that range.

That is unless you are talking about trading picks and/or players to move up 3 or 4 spots.

We're not getting Oden.

Hugh D'Man

Veteran
Reaction score
I expect that Atlanta pick to end up in the 9-10 range when it is all done. So we ought to be talking about players that have a legit shot of going in that range.

That is unless you are talking about trading picks and/or players to move up 3 or 4 spots.

We're not getting Oden.

Unless ....... He stays in one more yr and ATLs pick in '07 is in the top 3...then somehow the Hawks blow up in '08

so I guess you are 99.9% correct about Oden

I agree about realistic drafting....somewhere in the 7 - 8 - 9 - 10 range. It is so early to begin judging but the consensus seems to be Oden, Noah, Durant as being 3 of the top 4. After that, who knows. I am hoping the Suns keep and use all their picks. We need some home grown talent to develope. This cat Moute will be a player, and seems similar to Marion in his talents. But I have not seen enough of him. He has that same Deng/Iggadola upside though. And Glen Baby Davis with a later pick would be an excellent snag. I live in SEC country and have watched him over the past couple yrs. There is not a quicker more nimble 300+ lb-er out there. (he trimmed down to a svelt 310 this yr and he is no Sweetney) He would be the strongest player in a shaq-less league. Plus he sets a pick like a road grader and can shoot the 12-15 ftr. A perfect KThomas replacement who could give minutes right away. Round out the day with Rudy Fernandez and its a good draft.

Moute, Davis, and Fernandez....nutshell.

Last edited:

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Unless ....... He stays in one more yr and ATLs pick in '07 is in the top 3...then somehow the Hawks blow up in '08

so I guess you are 99.9% correct about Oden

I guess that is true.

Oden stays in school (chances are about 10%).
Atlanta's pick is top 3 this year (chances are less that 5% I would think).
Atlanta is a horrible team next year (not likely bad enough to be a realistic threat for the top pick.)
Our ping pong ball comes up on top.

It could happen, but the chances are so remote.

BTW. The #9 pick has worked well for us so far. We might try that again.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard