SEC Championship. Saturday, draft prospects.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
The coaching churn has really damaged the depth in that conference. Guys like Mullen, Malzahn, Bielema, Spurrier, Miles and Pinkel all were very good at coaching up players, even if they couldn't topple Bama.
yeah it has. this might be an unpopular opinion, but I actually think the big 12 is grossly underrated. there are a lot of good(not great) teams in that conference. there were no cupcakes for anyone in that conference and they all beat up on one another. it was not easy for Texas to get to where they got now especially with Ewers getting a significant shoulder injury.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
This was one of the predicted effects of NIL. There is now zero reason for a really good player to be stuck as 2nd or 3rd string at these schools anymore. It is spreading the talent out more evenly, whether you hate it or not.

On that last TD for Oregon last night they were talking about how the WR and CB were from Alabama and Auburn last year.
good point. AD Mitchell, one of Texas' best WR's, came from Georgia. the best programs that historically win national titles are still the ones on top of college football. they are all feasting on getting those top players from other teams on top of recruiting the best players out of high school. EDIT: and ewers transferred from Ohio State to Texas. can't leave that one out LOL

HairZach

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
yeah it has. this might be an unpopular opinion, but I actually think the big 12 is grossly underrated. there are a lot of good(not great) teams in that conference. there were no cupcakes for anyone in that conference and they all beat up on one another. it was not easy for Texas to get to where they got now especially with Ewers getting a significant shoulder injury.
I think the Big 12 adding BYU, UCF, Cinci and Houston gave them enough cupcakes that their top teams look better now. Usually teams like KSU, OSU and WVU would all have 5 or 6 losses from everyone having to play each other, causing casual fans to think that they are bad. You are your record after all, and no one gives respect to a 5 loss team in college.

The 4 big 12 addons went 3-6, 2-7, 2-7 and 1-8 in conference and the extra wins they provided for the mid tier teams have greatly boosted their public perception and the perception of the conference as a whole.

Last edited:

HairZach

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
This was one of the predicted effects of NIL. There is now zero reason for a really good player to be stuck as 2nd or 3rd string at these schools anymore. It is spreading the talent out more evenly, whether you hate it or not.

On that last TD for Oregon last night they were talking about how the WR and CB were from Alabama and Auburn last year.
It really is. From 2011-2016 all the top talent was on Alabama, and when they graduated they had top talent behind them waiting for a turn. This year there isn't just one or two teams that is obviously leagues better than the rest.

CardNots

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

Put me in the do hate it but you are right the dispersion of talent levels the playing field, benefits the player and subsequent NFL scouting:)

Lorenzo

Reaction score
I think the Big 12 adding BYU, UCF, Cinci and Houston gave them enough cupcakes that their top teams look better now. Usually teams like KSU, OSU and WVU would all have 5 or 6 losses from everyone having to play each other, causing casual fans to think that they are bad. You are your record after all, and no gives respect to a 5 loss team in college.

The 4 big 12 addons went 3-6, 2-7, 2-7 and 1-8 in conference and the extra wins they provided for the mid tier teams have greatly boosted their public perception and the perception of the conference as a whole.
fair points.

Lorenzo

Reaction score
1. Michigan
2. Washington
3. Texas
4. Alabama

Pretty simple.
after tonight's games that is what I would pick for the top 4. although I think Washington deserves the #1 spot. Florida state deserve to be there, but they would be dogs by a fair amount if they played any of the top 8 teams in the country. their offense is terrible at the moment.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Guys, get ready for it. Texas is going to be out. It's going to be:

Michigan
Georgia
Alabama
Washington

It's stupid, it's wrong, but that's what they're going to do. The system is a joke. FSU is undefeated in a major conference and they're not going to get in. Why? Because of injury? Gimme a freaking break. They'll take Alabama instead of Texas because of recency bias, which is another joke. They'll take Georgia because SEC and it was a close loss in their only loss. Washington and Michigan are locks.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Head to head is a major factor in the rankings.

For that reason, you can't put Alabama ahead of Texas.
I agree completely. But I've heard/read buzz that they will because the committee is all about who the better team is now, recency bias, etc. And we all know they slobber all over the SEC.

Alabama getting in over Texas would be a crime second only to Penn State getting leaped in the rankings in 1994.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
Agree with:
Michigan
Washington
Texas
Bama
Those 4 have all beaten top teams, like top 8 teams. UGA has not. Their best win is against Ole Miss or Mizzou. Florida St. gets boned but they don't have a QB and shouldn't be in.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
FSU would 100% be there in my opinion if Travis was the QB.

Without Travis, I think you can argue that Texas, Georgia, Alabama, and Ohio State are better teams.

Heck - those 4 might be better than Washington but Washington is in there.

DVontel

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Guys, get ready for it. Texas is going to be out. It's going to be:

Michigan
Georgia
Alabama
Washington

It's stupid, it's wrong, but that's what they're going to do. The system is a joke. FSU is undefeated in a major conference and they're not going to get in. Why? Because of injury? Gimme a freaking break. They'll take Alabama instead of Texas because of recency bias, which is another joke. They'll take Georgia because SEC and it was a close loss in their only loss. Washington and Michigan are locks.
Georgia legitimately doesn’t have an argument. Like, at all.

TheCardFan

Things have changed.
Reaction score
Good news - this will mostly be addressed with new playoff format next year.

What I don't like though is taking the 6 conference title winners automatically. Do we have a top 6?

SEC, Big 10, Big 12, and ACC (maybe) are basically the only legit conferences at this point. It would be stupid to take a conference champion from the Pac 12 or any other as an automatic entry.

The 2nd and 3rd best teams in the Big 3 conferences will most likely be better than the champion of any other conference.

Just take the 12 best teams.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
FSU would 100% be there in my opinion if Travis was the QB.

Without Travis, I think you can argue that Texas, Georgia, Alabama, and Ohio State are better teams.

Heck - those 4 might be better than Washington but Washington is in there.
If the voters were watching the FSU game last night then it will be hard to vote against the emotion with which they played.

But, they are going to get smoked in round 1 and who wants a blowout?

I would rank it:

1. Washington
2. Michigan
3. Texas
4. Alabama

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Not good for FSU

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
I don't think they wrote that in, being worried injured players being unavailable, but they can definitely use it in this case. I think it's original intent was regarding players who may skip the post season to protect their NFL draft status.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No one complains when a year long top 4 seed (aka 1 in a specific region) gets knocked down a leg or two in March Madness if they lose their best player.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson