Do you want Kawhi?

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But that’s a big if. Kawhi isn’t George. I’m betting he bolts and that leaves Toronto facing mediocrity for a decade.

I think it's similar to our pursuit of Aldridge. It would improve us considerably if he stayed otherwise we were prepared to go into full re-build mode if it failed.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
It came down to San Antonio wanted a star in return fo Kawhi. Overall, I think the Raptors got him relatively cheaply all considered. I wonder if the Suns could have traded for him with a package including Josh Jackson.

Doubt it. DD is considerably more valuable at the moment. Also, I don't think Pop wanted Leonard in the West.

Pop did a masterful job, with all things considered. Got an all-star in the deal and didn't completely cave to Leonard's demands. Couldn't have sent him any further away from L.A.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I dig this trade only because it makes the East playoffs much more interesting. Between Boston, Philly and the Raptors there's a lot of top tier talent there.

And I like it because it wastes a year of LeBron's prime and screw the Lakers.

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
Toronto got deeper too. Green is a very good, underrated two-way player. Granted, this is a one-year rental for Leonard, but they got deeper and better for one season.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Toronto got deeper too. Green is a very good, underrated two-way player. Granted, this is a one-year rental for Leonard, but they got deeper and better for one season.

Or maybe a half year rental. I have to believe that if they haven't convinced him to stay long term in Toronto that they'll trade him to the Lakers midseason for whatever they can get.

Krangodnzr

Captain of Team Murray
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Or maybe a half year rental. I have to believe that if they haven't convinced him to stay long term in Toronto that they'll trade him to the Lakers midseason for whatever they can get.

Why would the Lakers make that trade? I mean he might push them over the hump, but they would likely have to give up something solid for him.

Just wait until he is a FA and sign him outright.

AzStevenCal

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why would the Lakers make that trade? I mean he might push them over the hump, but they would likely have to give up something solid for him.

Just wait until he is a FA and sign him outright.

LA has young talent that they really don't need with Lebron and Kawhi there. Obviously it wouldn't be an open check situation but it helps the Lakers avoid a repeat of the Paul George fiasco. And that's in addition to not wasting another year of Lebron's aging career.

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If he does this he's costing himself hundreds of millions. Even if you're the Lakers or Clippers, this dude just threw away 20 million, he's burned his super max bridge, no team outside of LA could even dare trust him on a multi-year deal... why offer him even close to the max?
Because the Lakers are arrogant SOB's that think that every player loves them above every other team.

The league would have to step in though. Allowing this to go on only creates a situation where desirable teams can destroy other teams at their pleasure. I would do the following:

1. Indefinitely suspend Kahwi.
2. Declare that he CANNOT play for the Lakers ever (especially if there has been ANY contact between Kahwi's people and the Lakers).

Phrazbit

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Because the Lakers are arrogant SOB's that think that every player loves them above every other team.

I think you're misunderstanding my point, if you're the Lakers and Kawhi just sat out a full season, why would you offer him a max deal? He's obliterated his value, he hasn't played in basically 2 years and when he last did he was injured. Offer him 3 years 50-60 million... would anyone actually be willing to offer him more? He clearly doesn't give a crap about honoring contracts. Even on the Lakers end, just 50-60 million is risky. Will he still be the same player after sitting out 2 years? If he gets even slightly offended will he bench himself with you too?

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I think you're misunderstanding my point, if you're the Lakers and Kawhi just sat out a full season, why would you offer him a max deal? He's obliterated his value, he hasn't played in basically 2 years and when he last did he was injured. Offer him 3 years 50-60 million... would anyone actually be willing to offer him more? He clearly doesn't give a crap about honoring contracts. Even on the Lakers end, just 50-60 million is risky. Will he still be the same player after sitting out 2 years? If he gets even slightly offended will he bench himself with you too?
No. I am not missing your point. The Lakers offer that money because of how much they think Kahwi loves them, and they have money to burn. Their arrogance gets in the way of their common sense.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
LA has young talent that they really don't need with Lebron and Kawhi there. Obviously it wouldn't be an open check situation but it helps the Lakers avoid a repeat of the Paul George fiasco. And that's in addition to not wasting another year of Lebron's aging career.

You need 3-4 great players to win a title now. Their best bet is hoping Ingram, Kuzma or Hart develop into something special and sign Kawhi next summer. When Lebron goes into decline those guys will be entering their primes.

SO91

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
It's looking like a rental, but so did PG13 when he ended up in OKC.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Doubt it. DD is considerably more valuable at the moment. Also, I don't think Pop wanted Leonard in the West.

Pop did a masterful job, with all things considered. Got an all-star in the deal and didn't completely cave to Leonard's demands. Couldn't have sent him any further away from L.A.

I was only speculating if the Suns had a chance at trading for Kawhi. They likely didn't for the reasons you mention.

The Spurs wanted a star in return for Leonard and indeed did a masterful job of acquiring one.

Hoop Head

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
We should see if the Spurs want to add another mid-range scorer in TJ Warren. Their spacing with DeRozan and Aldridge won't be very good. I like the DeRozan acquisition for San Antonio mainly because I didn't think they'd add an All-Star for Kawhi but the fit seems odd. If anyone can find a way to make it work it's Popovich. He's got his work cut out for him, having to build an offense that features a SG who can't shoot 3's and 2 bigs who play down low in Gasol and Aldridge. They have no choice but to round out their lineup with 3pt shooters at PG and SF and while Patty Mills is the sort of PG who would fit, I'm not sure who they'll use at SF. Don't they still have Rudy Gay?

SO91

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Kawhi isn’t George. His actions this past year prove that imo.

No he's not, but didn't he say something along the lines of he would have preferred the Lakers when he was first traded? Most assumed he would go the LA when he opted out of his deal, only to resign with OKC. I think Kawhi goes to LA as well, but he wouldn't be the first FA the Lakers thought they would get and didn't.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Leonard is looking like a rich man's Larry Sanders. Or Andrew Bynum, even.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
We should see if the Spurs want to add another mid-range scorer in TJ Warren. Their spacing with DeRozan and Aldridge won't be very good. I like the DeRozan acquisition for San Antonio mainly because I didn't think they'd add an All-Star for Kawhi but the fit seems odd. If anyone can find a way to make it work it's Popovich. He's got his work cut out for him, having to build an offense that features a SG who can't shoot 3's and 2 bigs who play down low in Gasol and Aldridge. They have no choice but to round out their lineup with 3pt shooters at PG and SF and while Patty Mills is the sort of PG who would fit, I'm not sure who they'll use at SF. Don't they still have Rudy Gay?
Aldridge is more step out than down low.

Ouchie-Z-Clown

I'm better than Mulli!
Reaction score
No he's not, but didn't he say something along the lines of he would have preferred the Lakers when he was first traded? Most assumed he would go the LA when he opted out of his deal, only to resign with OKC. I think Kawhi goes to LA as well, but he wouldn't be the first FA the Lakers thought they would get and didn't.
Yes George said that, but he never gave up on his pacers. He wants to win. As good as Kawhi is, winning doesn’t seem to matter to him at present.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson