Do you still think Mondesi was a good trade?

insider

Reaction score
He is hitting .257 only has 1 HR and 3 RBI. He was brought in to be a big bat from the right side. Do you think he was over hyped or is it just a slump?

mark1

Veteran
Reaction score
Mondesi is a mental midget and a bum. I haven't talked to one Diamondback fan that thought this guy would awaken a pathetic offense. Typical front office lack of talent evaluation. Reggie Sanders would have been a much better option. Joe and Jerry need to get their collective head out of their ass.

az240zz

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
When this trade was proposed and made I said that it wasn't a good move. Boone was my choice.

Az240z

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by az240zz
When this trade was proposed and made I said that it wasn't a good move. Boone was my choice.

Az240z

they weren't going to get Boone for who they gave up.

IndyDevil

Defensive liability
Reaction score
I thought it was a good trade mainly for who we had to give up - I was under no illusion that Mondesi was the answer to our batting woes, and so far he has done nothing to dispel that.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Originally posted by IndyDback
I thought it was a good trade mainly for who we had to give up - I was under no illusion that Mondesi was the answer to our batting woes, and so far he has done nothing to dispel that.
I agree with you!

As I said in the Free Agent thread: in this, the final year of his contract, Raul Mondesi will try to be at his best, both at-bat (if Brenly would assign him one spot in the batting order -- preferably 5th -- and leave him there) and in his behavior.

With a big contract next year, we'd see his bad habits!

I'll betcha that Jerry has no intention of re-signing him as a free agent.

AzKarl

Veteran
Reaction score
Agree with you

Mondesi was worth the gamble and basically it has not panned out. He will not return to the D-Backs next year because in this convoluted, mixed up view of players self worth he won't be offered anything remotely near what he thinks he's worth.

az240zz

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Isn't it strange that over the last 3 years all the players that we picked up for the stretch run haven't been any good. Mondesi, Feddars and Lopez were all busts. The only good move was for Mantei. We also didn't resign 2 good right fielders in Smith and Guien(spelling).

Az240z

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Originally posted by az240zz
Isn't it strange that over the last 3 years all the players that we picked up for the stretch run haven't been any good. Mondesi, Feddars and Lopez were all busts. The only good move was for Mantei. We also didn't resign 2 good right fielders in Smith and Guien(spelling).

Az240z

Don't forget Sanders. I think for what we gave up it was worth the trade. Even if we don't resign that will give us much more cap space to go sign a must needed bat.

DWKB

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Originally posted by SweetD
Don't forget Sanders. I think for what we gave up it was worth the trade. Even if we don't resign that will give us much more cap space to go sign a must needed bat.

Cap Space??? :?

Who let the Cardinals fans on the DBacks message board?

:p

schillingfan

All Star
Reaction score
Sanders wasn't traded for anyway. Must be a Card fan, because a D-Backs fan would know he was a free agent signing. :p

Actually if one is talking trade deadline deals - you really can't forget Curt Schilling.

Of course he didn't help in 2000 - but 2001 a different story.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Here I go again, but I gotta say it! When Mondesi arrived, Brenly announced that he'd be batting 5th, then had him 6th the next day.

Then he said Raul is a perfect #6 hitter, and batted him 5th the next day.

Since then he's batted 3rd a few times and cleanup a few times.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Brenly did the same thing with Junior Spivey. He had an outstanding 1st half of 2002, while batting second. So he moved him to Gonzo's #3 spot in the batting order, and Junior hasn't been the same since.

Lately he's been our #5 hitter (Junior Spivey batting 3rd or 5th?) or maybe 7th or maybe 6th or maybe 2nd.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Make a decision about where they belong . . . then leave them there, damnit! You play with someone's head, you're going to f**k them up!

If they knew their role, don't you think they'd be more consistent? I do!

RLakin

All Star
Reaction score
Originally posted by BC867
Here I go again, but I gotta say it! When Mondesi arrived, Brenly announced that he'd be batting 5th, then had him 6th the next day.

Then he said Raul is a perfect #6 hitter, and batted him 5th the next day.

Since then he's batted 3rd a few times and cleanup a few times.

Brenly did the same thing with Junior Spivey. He had an outstanding 1st half of 2002, while batting second. So he moved him to Gonzo's #3 spot in the batting order, and Junior hasn't been the same since.

Lately he's been our #5 hitter (Junior Spivey batting 3rd or 5th?) or maybe 7th or maybe 6th or maybe 2nd.

Make a decision about where they belong . . . then leave them there, damnit! You play with someone's head, you're going to f**k them up!

If they knew their role, don't you think they'd be more consistent? I do!

Totally agree. My favorite was tonight. Brenly runs out the same top 4 (Kata, Cintron, Gonzalez, Mondesi), but can't find the strength to leave the other spots (5-7) alone. Thus, we get Finley (0-for his last 16) hitting 5th, Hillenbrand 6th and Spivey 7th. The previous night it was Spivey 5th, Finley 6th, and Hillenbrand 7th. Both opposing pitchers were right handed.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard