Do We Really Know How Blessed We Have Been With Fitz?

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
There are players who capture the imagination and there are players who the fans just root for then there are the players who simply transcend the game both on and off the field and for the past 14 seasons and going into the 15th season we've had the pleasure of watching one of those players who transcend the game and that player is Larry Fitzgerald. I've been a fan of this team for almost 44 years and I've seen other teams have this player: Barry Sanders in Detroit, Walter Payton in Chicago, Jerry Rice, Joe Montana, and Steve Young in SF, Tony Dorsett and Roger Staubach in Dallas, Lawrence Taylor for the Giants, Joe Namath for the Jets. The list goes on and on but before Fitz, we never really had that player. The player that gets fans in other cities talking. The player that the national media mention when talking about the all time greats. Frankly, I think Fitz is the greatest player this entire franchise has ever seen and it isn't even close.

And not only is Fitz a class act on the field but a class act off of it. Of course he has his detractors who bring up his alleged DV incident but reports on that are completely one sided as it has never been substantiated but even if it is true, he is human after all and is allowed to make mistakes and IMO he's made up for that one mistake in spades. Larry is unique. You never hear him talk the talk but he sure does walk the walk. Always humble and generous even to a fault as not only is he charitable in his own community but around the world as well. And speaking of around the world, Larry's pretty much been around the world and I don't think he'll be satisfied until he sees 100% of it.

What pains me is that this league does not promote him. With all of the controversy going on in this league with the protests, drugs, and incidents of domestic violence, Larry Fitzgerald should be the face of this league. I had a friend tell me that while he's an Eagles fan, if the NFL ever put out a player modeled logo a la Jerry West and the NBA logo, he always pictured Fitz on that logo. Now, that's respect. Believe me, if every player in this league was half of who Larry is, football would be considered America's pastime and not baseball.

I have my all time favorites in all 4 major sports: Bernie Parent(hockey), Julius Erving(basketball), Mike Schmidt(baseball), and football used to be Jim Hart but Fitz replaced him years ago and of all of my all time favorites, Fitz is the only one on my bucket list of players I'd love to meet. He is the one player in any sport that I will point my children to as a role model.

And finally, this is probably going to be Fitz's final season and if he doesn't get a Kobe Bryant type last tour, it will be a travesty. Believe me, when this season is over we're going to mourn this loss for a long, long time because we all, to a fan, know that it's unlikely we'll ever see someone like him again. Every home game needs to be Larry Fitzgerald day and when we get the inevitable announcement 5 years after Larry announces his retirement, I know we as fans are probably going to break records for attendance in Canton. I know I plan on being there. So, let's enjoy this final ride and hopefully we can make it a memorable one for Larry as he's made a lasting impression on us. I've never even considered getting a tattoo but if I ever did it would be the Cards logo with the number 11. It's been a privilege, an honor, and a blessing to see this man play and I know everyone here feels the same way but not only do I love this man as a player but as a man as well. God Bless you Larry. Everything you have coming, you've earned it.

GimmedaBall

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
There are players who capture the imagination and there are players who the fans just root for then there are the players who simply transcend the game both on and off the field and for the past 14 seasons and going into the 15th season we've had the pleasure of watching one of those players who transcend the game and that player is Larry Fitzgerald. I've been a fan of this team for almost 44 years and I've seen other teams have this player: Barry Sanders in Detroit, Walter Payton in Chicago, Jerry Rice, Joe Montana, and Steve Young in SF, Tony Dorsett and Roger Staubach in Dallas, Lawrence Taylor for the Giants, Joe Namath for the Jets. The list goes on and on but before Fitz, we never really had that player. The player that gets fans in other cities talking. The player that the national media mention when talking about the all time greats. Frankly, I think Fitz is the greatest player this entire franchise has ever seen and it isn't even close.

And not only is Fitz a class act on the field but a class act off of it. Of course he has his detractors who bring up his alleged DV incident but reports on that are completely one sided as it has never been substantiated but even if it is true, he is human after all and is allowed to make mistakes and IMO he's made up for that one mistake in spades. Larry is unique. You never hear him talk the talk but he sure does walk the walk. Always humble and generous even to a fault as not only is he charitable in his own community but around the world as well. And speaking of around the world, Larry's pretty much been around the world and I don't think he'll be satisfied until he sees 100% of it.

What pains me is that this league does not promote him. With all of the controversy going on in this league with the protests, drugs, and incidents of domestic violence, Larry Fitzgerald should be the face of this league. I had a friend tell me that while he's an Eagles fan, if the NFL ever put out a player modeled logo a la Jerry West and the NBA logo, he always pictured Fitz on that logo. Now, that's respect. Believe me, if every player in this league was half of who Larry is, football would be considered America's pastime and not baseball.

I have my all time favorites in all 4 major sports: Bernie Parent(hockey), Julius Erving(basketball), Mike Schmidt(baseball), and football used to be Jim Hart but Fitz replaced him years ago and of all of my all time favorites, Fitz is the only one on my bucket list of players I'd love to meet. He is the one player in any sport that I will point my children to as a role model.

And finally, this is probably going to be Fitz's final season and if he doesn't get a Kobe Bryant type last tour, it will be a travesty. Believe me, when this season is over we're going to mourn this loss for a long, long time because we all, to a fan, know that it's unlikely we'll ever see someone like him again. Every home game needs to be Larry Fitzgerald day and when we get the inevitable announcement 5 years after Larry announces his retirement, I know we as fans are probably going to break records for attendance in Canton. I know I plan on being there. So, let's enjoy this final ride and hopefully we can make it a memorable one for Larry as he's made a lasting impression on us. I've never even considered getting a tattoo but if I ever did it would be the Cards logo with the number 11. It's been a privilege, an honor, and a blessing to see this man play and I know everyone here feels the same way but not only do I love this man as a player but as a man as well. God Bless you Larry. Everything you have coming, you've earned it.

110% AGREE.

You need to give his intro speech when he goes into the HOF.

Arz101

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Hope they sign Cousins to keep Fitz coming back for another 3 years.

Snakester

Draft Man
Reaction score
I have to agree, Larry has been our Walter Payton. Jim Hart, Dan Dierdorf and Larry Wilson are big names from the old days but Larry has been a near perfect model of a player slash person that the NFL has ever seen.

AZ Native

Living is Easy with Eyes Closed
Reaction score
He does not want a Derek Jeter type tour, or Kobe. That is not who he is. He could easily choose to continue playing after this year. Whether he does or not, that is his decision. But he will never say "this is my last year" because that would give him his "last tour", and again, that is not him. Great post though.

We are so lucky to have Larry Legend and Paul Edward Goldschmidt as examples for our youth to look up to and exemplify. Two of the best.

NeverSayDieFan

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
My wife and I have a book that is going to go national in June or July. I am currently working on a screenplay for the movie version and I have a part in the movie that I'm going to ask Larry to play. Of course, all of this will depend on the success of the book but we are trusting God that this is going to be something special. Larry is a natural in the commercials he does so hopefully he'll consider it.

...And YES, Larry IS the GREATEST Cardinal ever! ...And more importantly, a role model to us all.

Mark in SC :)

phillycard

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I promise, I will rue the day he walks away from the game. Cardinal football, no matter how good we might be at that time just waon't be the same. It'll literally be like a death in the family to me. Sundays without #11. Inconceivable at this point.

Finito

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Really good football player player I'll leave it at that since I don't know him

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn