DeMarco Murray rumor

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Without any decent sources (can't verify the Clayton ESPN thing myself, but I'll take it for what it is), I'll weigh in on how I'd feel if it was true.

I think Demarco Murray is a hell of a player. I think he's very talented, but also hugely dependent on that amazing Dallas line. I don't know that he represents a tremendous upgrade to put Ellington on the pine. In fact, barring Adrian Peterson, it's a mistake for this team to move away from Ellington.

Let's sign a complementary back that can succeed between the tackles at a cheaper price, like Ryan Mathews, or take the risk on someone with the same skillset to spell Ellington, like CJ Spiller. Ridley and Asiata are equally interesting pieces.

slanidrac16

ASFN Icon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Without any decent sources (can't verify the Clayton ESPN thing myself, but I'll take it for what it is), I'll weigh in on how I'd feel if it was true.

I think Demarco Murray is a hell of a player. I think he's very talented, but also hugely dependent on that amazing Dallas line. I don't know that he represents a tremendous upgrade to put Ellington on the pine. In fact, barring Adrian Peterson, it's a mistake for this team to move away from Ellington.

Let's sign a complementary back that can succeed between the tackles at a cheaper price, like Ryan Mathews, or take the risk on someone with the same skillset to spell Ellington, like CJ Spiller. Ridley and Asiata are equally interesting pieces.

I really can't disagree with this.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
In fact, barring Adrian Peterson, it's a mistake for this team to move away from Ellington.

I think that's a mistake & that proved itself out last year with bunches of touches. If I'm not mistaken, football peeps had concerns about Juke as a starting RB because of his size coming out. Besides we might just go shopping for a MUCHO improved Oline ourselves!!! Reports are we've already added one.

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I think that's a mistake & that proved itself out last year with bunches of touches. If I'm not mistaken, football peeps had concerns about Juke as a starting RB because of his size coming out. Besides we might just go shopping for a MUCHO improved Oline ourselves!!! Reports are we've already added one.

I don't think he should be a guy who takes all of the carries myself. I think he needs to be paired with a guy who can grind it and leave Ellington to take half of the carries or so, but also free as a player that can split wide and do other things.

With a Murray or Peterson, he would barely see the field at all. They're two 3-down backs.

GatorAZ

feed hopkins
Reaction score
Murray averaged over 5 Ypc his first 3 seasons before Dallas' OL was dominant. Talent was never in question but fumbles and durability are.

football karma

Happy in the pretense of knowledge
Reaction score

Too many touches didn't cause him to split a tendon in his foot the weeek before the season opener-- he just wasn't the same player

Buckybird

Reaction score
I don't think he should be a guy who takes all of the carries myself. I think he needs to be paired with a guy who can grind it and leave Ellington to take half of the carries or so, but also free as a player that can split wide and do other things.

With a Murray or Peterson, he would barely see the field at all. They're two 3-down backs.

I want to win & I'm sure BASK feels the same. Bottom line, are the Cards abetted football team & more of a threat with AD/Murray or Juke/whomever? IMO nuff said ;)

Buckybird

Reaction score
Too many touches didn't cause him to split a tendon in his foot the weeek before the season opener-- he just wasn't the same player

But that could come to fruition this year if we stay put. Name a stud starting 199 lb RB who had a prolonged successful NFL career in the last 25 yrs cause I can't think of one.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok mr smart azz that's 1 :D

At least ya didn't call me ********.... :)

I think Elliington should be our Shane Vereen should we land either AP or Murray...

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
I want to win & I'm sure BASK feels the same. Bottom line, are the Cards abetted football team & more of a threat with AD/Murray or Juke/whomever? IMO nuff said ;)

I would argue that it's AD/Murray or Juke/RB2/a solid player at LB/CB/C.

To which I think we're a better football team with option #2.

Edit: I would make that difference much closer if we were certain it was AD. But with Murray, there's too many questions.

THESMEL

Smushdown! Take it like a fan!
Reaction score
Makes me crazy-er crazier - NFL Theme last year was down grading of RB position, We passed On Hyde and Hill in the 3rd round! for John Brown, Which every indication was would be there later, like the wasted QB pick on Logan Thomas.

Now I like me some John Brown, but no - that was stupid - er stupider - I've been saying the RB is coming back because the pendulum is swinging toward lighter faster coverage LB's and safeties in the 3-4- advantage RB!

so instead of developing a young cow Bell RB to take full advantage of Ellingtons skills, we are now looking to break the bank on 30 year old AP or Murrey, While the Niners dump Gore and developed his replacement. They dump their winning coach also, see how that works out.

We missed our RB window last year, the silver lining is BA is willing to run more, after passing like his hair was on fire - not sure where we were ranked in Run attempts last year, but think we were out of the NFL basement , that we stayed in since Whiz arrived. after gaining the job as OC with a top run team.

The RB is the engine of the offense, now and forever. never more obvious than when Palmer went down, except Maybe when Warner went down the last time in the Saints playoff bounty loss. Or the Seahawks, Niners NFCC game the last few years.

I repeat we would have no SB appearance if not for Edges Playoff performance in 2008! Or Beanies 3 score lead against what has become the best pass fest in history, the 09 packers playoff win.

Balance it up BA, You made Keims job harder this year.

Buckybird

Reaction score
At least ya didn't call me ********.... :)

I think Elliington should be our Shane Vereen should we land either AP or Murray...

I can live with that! I think Ellington could abused some LBs & safeties in the passing game

Buckybird

Reaction score
I would argue that it's AD/Murray or Juke/RB2/a solid player at LB/CB/C.

To which I think we're a better football team with option #2.

Edit: I would make that difference much closer if we were certain it was AD. But with Murray, there's too many questions.

Well we've got the ILB & might add the center. We'll see how it plays out

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Well we've got the ILB & might add the center. We'll see how it plays out

Regardless of Weatherspoon and (I'm guessing you're talking about Iupati) a new offensive lineman, the amount of money that would have to go to either player is heavy. The odds of us getting a successful cheaper RB through the draft or free agency is much better than us getting an impactful OLB or CB or otherwise in FA.

Darkside

ASFN Addict
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Makes me crazy-er crazier - NFL Theme last year was down grading of RB position, We passed On Hyde and Hill in the 3rd round! for John Brown, Which every indication was would be there later, like the wasted QB pick on Logan Thomas.

Now I like me some John Brown, but no - that was stupid - er stupider - I've been saying the RB is coming back because the pendulum is swinging toward lighter faster coverage LB's and safeties in the 3-4- advantage RB!

so instead of developing a young cow Bell RB to take full advantage of Ellingtons skills, we are now looking to break the bank on 30 year old AP or Murrey, While the Niners dump Gore and developed his replacement. They dump their winning coach also, see how that works out.

We missed our RB window last year, the silver lining is BA is willing to run more, after passing like his hair was on fire - not sure where we were ranked in Run attempts last year, but think we were out of the NFL basement , that we stayed in since Whiz arrived. after gaining the job as OC with a top run team.

The RB is the engine of the offense, now and forever. never more obvious than when Palmer went down, except Maybe when Warner went down the last time in the Saints playoff bounty loss. Or the Seahawks, Niners NFCC game the last few years.

I repeat we would have no SB appearance if not for Edges Playoff performance in 2008! Or Beanies 3 score lead against what has become the best pass fest in history, the 09 packers playoff win.

Balance it up BA, You made Keims job harder this year.

Agree with alot of what you say about RB's dude, but we go through this every year, you and I.

RB's add toughness, balance to the offense, wear down a D, and allow our own D to rest while managing the clock. But again, they have the shortest shelf life on an NFL team than any other position.

And just for the record, the Cards didn't downgrade the RB position, our starting power back got arrested and released last year.

Also for the record, BA made Keim's job EASIER by winning games, making the playoffs, and making AZ a place players want to play.

You know who made the GM's job harder? Whiz, by mucking up the QB situation and sucking his last few years here. He even had Edge in the doghouse if you recall for half a season prior to those playoffs. Edge promptly retired. Lol

BA knows how to use a RB, and a QB. He somehow made Ellington a threat on one leg, won games with backup QB's, hurt QB's and backup to the backup QB's.

In BA I trust dude.

Last edited:

Solar7

Go Suns
Reaction score
Regardless of Weatherspoon and (I'm guessing you're talking about Iupati) a new offensive lineman, the amount of money that would have to go to either player is heavy. The odds of us getting a successful cheaper RB through the draft or free agency is much better than us getting an impactful OLB or CB or otherwise in FA.

Note though, Matt Asiata did just agree to a one-year deal with MIN, so that's a missed player that could have had an impact.

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
There is something to it.

per Clayton. On espn he just said Arizona is the front runner for Murray along with Indy.

Edit: espn also mentioned jax. Unless something drastically changes, they are not signing him

Looks like Indy is going to get Frank Gore so does that leave us alone here?

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
Dallas killed his market because they've basically said they'd match any offer. Whether or not that is true, we will see.

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
Really? I heard that a lot and Murray even hurt his cause by saying he might give them a slight discount. Heard Dallas let it be known that he would test the market and bring offers back for them to match (like Dockett).

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson