Coro: Suns lock down frye 5/30m

OP
OP
J

joshstmarie

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I'm thinking more and more that as long as Amare finds someone to do it, we're looking at a sign-and-trade.

I totally agree. I think with some of these free agents staying home theres a couple teams out there that are going to get VERY desperate. Im willing to bet he will have a super max sign and trade when all is said and done.

The bar is set with JJ getting the super and Gay getting the max.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And why are you so balls on assured we'll be going to the WCF? Because we signed Channing Frye? What is it about this guy that makes you feel he's such a worldbeater? Do you not remember how awesomely infuriating his mental lapses and defensive inadequacies were? We lose Amare. Who gives a crap. As long as we have Frye, WCF here we come, is that it? Why?

Frye is a stud. Just admit it. :D

Seriously it's not like the Suns have a boatload of better options.

Sunburn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
If his shot isnt falling hes still dragging the other teams big man out to the 3pt line enabling our gaurds and forwards to rebound more/opening shots for others and spreading the floor. stop overreacting.

Oh ya you mean like in the Lakers series where they were leaving him on an island from the 3 point line because he couldn't sink anything? Meanwhile, on the other end he will be getting absolutely abused like he always does, career nights for every guy he plays against next season if he's our starting PF. Look, I like the guy. He's great to come off the bench in our system but, come on, he is not starter material. Remember he was in the starting line-up last year? How'd that go? Well it was great for awhile. Then he started missing, teams figured it out, and he got absolutely abused. There was a reason he was replaced. He doesn't have the d to contend with starting line-ups big guys. The same thing will happen next year, he will get absolutely abused. He is not starter material. It's laughable.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

joshstmarie

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Oh ya you mean like in the Lakers series where they were leaving him on an island from the 3 point line because he couldn't sink anything? Meanwhile, on the other end he will be getting absolutely abused like he always does, career nights for every guy he plays against next season if he's our starting PF. Look, I like the guy. He's great to come off the bench in our system but, come on, he is not starter material. Remember he was in the starting line-up last year? How'd that go? Well it was great for awhile. Then he started missing, teams figured it out, and he got absolutely abused. There was a reason he was replaced. He doesn't have the d to contend with starting line-ups big guys. The same thing will happen next year, he will get absolutely abused. He is not starter material. It's sad.

Its day one of free agency. Why dont you just chill out and wait and see what happens with amare.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
I am completely happy with 6 mil per season. I thought he would be asking for 8 to 10.

Sunburn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=5347465

I have been critical of Frye but I think if you check he was the Suns top rebounder in the playoffs.

That's a testament to how pathetic our big man situation was at the time (sans Robin) rather than the rebounding prowess of Channing Frye. If this is the case that is to be made for Frye, that he's actually a good. . .no make that fair. . .no make that adequate rebounder, I'm going to be sick. He is not even an adequate rebounder. Ugh, I am sick. A frontcourt of Frye and Lopez. As much as I like Lopez, he is not capable of making up for the inadequacies of this frontcourt. Dear God what has happened to my team.

OP
OP
J

joshstmarie

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
That's a testament to how pathetic our big man situation was at the time (sans Robin) rather than the rebounding prowess of Channing Frye. If this is the case that is to be made for Frye, that he's actually a good. . .no make that fair. . .no make that adequate rebounder, I'm going to be sick. He is not even an adequate rebounder. Ugh, I am sick. A frontcourt of Frye and Lopez. As much as I like Lopez, he is not capable of making up for the inadequacies of this frontcourt. Dear God what has happened to my team.

Man, you are about to have a nerd-ous breakdown. :sad:

Griffin

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
That's a little more money than I would have liked, especially since we don't know of any other offers he'd gotten. However, players like Amir Johnson set the bar. This happens every year.

I'm glad we kept Frye, because we might have to rely on him quite more next year. He's still relatively young (27) and with room for improvement. When you disregard the Blazers seasons where he hardly played, last year was really only his third real season in the league. He's shown glimpses of defensive improvement and we know he can rebound at times. But now that's he is making $6M/year, I want to see that effort more consistently.

Sunburn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Its day one of free agency. Why dont you just chill out and wait and see what happens with amare.

Um, no. This is my viewpoint and I'm going to express it. That's why I'm on this board. If you don't think I should... tough. But you're kidding yourself if you think Amare's going to be playing here next season. He won't be and at the moment it looks like Frye will be our starting PF. That is sickening. Like I said before, he was absolutely abused in the starting line-up last year and he will be absolutely abused this year if that's the case. He doesn't have the D to contend with NBA starting line-up quality bigs. Why is it so much to ask for this team to get a PF who can actually go out and defend? Geez, God forbid this team sign a 4 that can bring down 9+ boards a game and actually keep a guy from shredding us inside. With the departure of Amare, I was hoping this might signal the beginning of a new frontcourt philosophy for our team but it's probably in vain.

Last edited:

taz02

All Star
Reaction score
it's ok as long as we make another move for a power forward. If we go into next season with fry as our starter that would be a huge disapointment.

TRW

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
A bit steep, but not exhorbitant considering what Drew Gooden and Darko got. If the Suns are losing Amare' then this was almost a "must" re-sign for them.

Too much for what he is IMO but not WAY overboard for the current market. I can live with it.

cly2tw

Reaction score
it was reported that Amare signed with NY. Frye signing was indicative of Amare being gone anyway.

Sunburn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Miller, Gooden, Darko, and Johnson all play a little something I like to call defense.

Sunburn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Btw, I believe that's about half of our salary cap room, and that's with Amare leaving.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Rumor on RealGM Suns board from a poster named Traxxe, who claims to have inside sources says that the Frye deal has a team option in it. For what it's worth, he also said that negotiations with Stoudemire are over and things ended badly. He's gone and there is virtually no chance for a sign-and-trade.

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
So let's see, in 12 hours the offer went from $20M/5yr, to 25, to 30. Shrewd negotiating, Sarver!

This is a bad deal. By 2012-13 we'll all hate it. Save this post for future reference if you like.

cly2tw

Reaction score
just so i'm clear do we still have the MLE?

No.

Rumor on RealGM Suns board from a poster named Traxxe, who claims to have inside sources says that the Frye deal has a team option in it. For what it's worth, he also said that negotiations with Stoudemire are over and things ended badly. He's gone and there is virtually no chance for a sign-and-trade.

Someone there, on NYK's board also referred to some twitter saying Amare might get a 6y/120m deal, which has to be a s&t 10 mil below the super max.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joseph Garrison