Coro: Steve Nash's career with the Phoenix Suns nears its end

elindholm

edited for content
Reaction score
Dude, I thought your post looked familiar...

I know you copy and paste your own posts from board to board, but to just straight-up copy and paste another person's post as if it's yours is not cool. If you like what he posted give the guy some credit or at the very least least make it your own.

To be honest, why there's still anyone on this board who hasn't yet put sunsfan88 on Ignore is beyond me. I did it almost as soon as he joined.

Joe Mama

Supporting Member
Reaction score
And look at the toll it took on his health and playing time. That's the big picture.

BC, you are really grasping at straws here.

If you guys remember we tried to trade Amare Stoudemire to Cleveland, but the Cavaliers wouldn't give up JJ Hickson. Then with Amare Stoudemire we went to the Western Conference finals. I'm fairly certain this sounds the Phoenix Suns were not offered anything of decent value for Steve Nash. The only thing that would have changed is that we would have been much worse and could have drafted a few spots higher.

Joe

bankybruce

All In!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
11:18am: The Knicks have had "exploratory talks" with the Suns about a potential sign-and-trade for Nash, according to Marc Berman of the New York Post. Such a deal would allow Nash to make more than the $3.09MM mini mid-level exception the Knicks can offer.

To match salaries, the Knicks would probably have to offer at least two or three players such as Iman Shumpert, Toney Douglas, Landry Fields, and Steve Novak. Even then, Nash could make more money elsewhere, and would be playing a part in depleting the Knicks' roster in order to get to New York. Nash to the Knicks continues to look like a real long shot to me, though that's just my speculation.

http://www.hoopsrumors.com/2012/07/latest-on-steve-nash.html#more

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Get Shumpert too?

I like what I know about Shumpert when healthy. He definitely has upside that has been untapped.

The thing is, how can NY offer Nash enough money.

OP
OP
Folster

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I like what I know about Shumpert when healthy. He definitely has upside that has been untapped.

The thing is, how can NY offer Nash enough money.

Fields is a free agent, so it would have to be a double sign and trade. NY still won't be able to get anywhere near Toronto's offer.

carey

VVVV Saints Fan VVVV
Reaction score
Fields is a free agent, so it would have to be a double sign and trade. NY still won't be able to get anywhere near Toronto's offer.

Not true. New CBA rules state that if you aren't a tax paying team you can offer 100% of outgoing salaries + $5M in a trade.

Meaning the Knicks can do Shumpert ($1.6M) + Fields (S&T at $4M/yr for a contract similar to Dudley) for Nash and pay him $10M/yr. The Knicks would then be spending $63M on just 4 guys. Honestly? Sounds like something they'd do.

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
I think I would rather they get Lin to sign and trade instead of Fields. Lin can be a starter but I think his window will close in a few years. Something in the 5-7 Million range for Lin would be good.

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So..evidently....the Raptors have made an offer to Nash but not the previously reported 3 year 36 Million offer reported by SI. It's probably in that ball park but less. Going to be interesting to see if the Raptors do the full court press for Steve.

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think I would rather they get Lin to sign and trade instead of Fields. Lin can be a starter but I think his window will close in a few years. Something in the 5-7 Million range for Lin would be good.

I'd rather have Lin as well. I just don't see it happening but with NY, who knows. If DA were still the coach there it would happen no matter what.

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
I'd rather have Lin as well. I just don't see it happening but with NY, who knows. If DA were still the coach there it would happen no matter what.

I think their new coach is not 100% sold on Lin so I think there still might be a chance. Plus NY media would be ok with loosing Lin for Nash. They kinda overvaule the kid right now.

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Oh please... yeah i am sure playing center was the reason for his knee and eye surgeries... :bang:
Are you banging your head for leaving out my reference to reduced playing time and tentative defense? Ah, selective quoting! :D

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
BC, you are really grasping at straws here.

If you guys remember we tried to trade Amare Stoudemire to Cleveland, but the Cavaliers wouldn't give up JJ Hickson. Then with Amare Stoudemire we went to the Western Conference finals. I'm fairly certain this sounds the Phoenix Suns were not offered anything of decent value for Steve Nash. The only thing that would have changed is that we would have been much worse and could have drafted a few spots higher.

Joe
Joe, I was referring to the effect it had on Amar'e's playing time, health and playing defense as our only "big" on the court. And tentative defense or sitting on the bench in foul trouble down the stretch. Game after game, it took its toll.

Yes, Frye had the height and weight, but has played soft (and beyond the arc) alongside as the 2nd "big" on the court.

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Joe, I was referring to the effect it had on Amar'e's playing time, health and playing defense as our only "big" on the court. And tentative defense or sitting on the bench in foul trouble down the stretch. Game after game, it took its toll.

Yes, Frye had the height and weight, but has played soft (and beyond the arc) alongside as the 2nd "big" on the court.

Many teams were playing "small" then. Amare hardly played against big Centers. Most of the time Amare would start running out for the fast break instead of going for the rebound. Amare fit this system well, and in the system he would be the Center. Amare didn't use much of his energy on Def.

HooverDam

Reaction score

Thats totally conjecture on your part in order to serve your world view of anti small ball basketball. Thats fine, you like a more traditional game with a hefty, plodding Center, fine. But to say Amare playing at the 5 under D'Antoni lead to his health issues isn't provable and is pretty silly.

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Thats totally conjecture on your part in order to serve your world view of anti small ball basketball. Thats fine, you like a more traditional game with a hefty, plodding Center, fine. But to say Amare playing at the 5 under D'Antoni lead to his health issues isn't provable and is pretty silly.
+1
I would have to agree that Amare's career at the 5 didnt contribute negatively to his health. I mean,its not like Amare was banging inside night in and night out on the defensive end ;)

Interestingly though,that season he played next to Shaq...Amare's scoring and weak side defense appeared(to me anyway) to come with much less effort. He found open jumpers that weren't always there before,and was able to get out on the break more often.

His '08-'09 numbers dont back that up,but numbers dont always read like a book. I felt Amare was more effective in some ways playing next to a good big man.

JMO

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Thats fine, you like a more traditional game with a hefty, plodding Center, fine.
Dwight Howard isn't a "hefty, plodding Center". Neither is Gortat. But they are legitimate Centers.

My point about Amar'e moving from Power Forward to Center with either a Small Forward or a soft Frye at Power Forward left him as our only big. Even if Amar'e played alongside Robin Lopez (because of his inconstency), it is the kind of pressure that would put Amar'e at an unfair disadvantage.

Look at the difference in the Mavs with Dirk playing alongside C Tyson Chandler (Champions) vs. Chandler gone this past season.

SweetD

Next Up
Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
Dwight Howard isn't a "hefty, plodding Center". Neither is Gortat. But they are legitimate Centers.

My point about Amar'e moving from Power Forward to Center with either a Small Forward or a soft Frye at Power Forward left him as our only big. Even if Amar'e played alongside Robin Lopez (because of his inconstency), it is the kind of pressure that would put Amar'e at an unfair disadvantage.

Look at the difference in the Mavs with Dirk playing alongside C Tyson Chandler (Champions) vs. Chandler gone this past season.

He had Shaq/Kurt Thomas/Insert Scrub PF/C (Hunter, Diaw, Lou, and others) that played most of the time at C. Amare only played with Frye for one year.

Last edited:

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Nash for Calderon and Toronto's 2013 first round pick.

Why?

Toronto clears 7M$ capspace to use this year to improve the team more at the cost of their draft pick.
There was talk that Nash had agreed to be signed and traded if he leaves the Suns.

Toronto saves their amnesty clause. Essentially we would be buying their draft pick for 7M$. It is likely to be a #20 pick or something like that unless Nash gets hurt.

Calderon could start ahead of Marshall for half the season and be traded as an expiring contract for another asset at the trade deadline when Marshall is ready to step up as a starter.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard