Coro: Steve Nash's career with the Phoenix Suns nears its end

SirStefan32

Krycek, Alex Krycek
Reaction score
I LOVE Steve Nash, and I thank him for what he's done for the Suns over the years. He deserves to be remembered as the Suns legend for years to come. It was a great ride for many years. It is over, and it is time for the Suns to start rebuilding.

I wish he'd just retire, but if he wants to keep playing- I wish him all the best. I hope he makes a lot of money, and/or wins a ring or two.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Thank you. It seems that most people on this board are going to complain no matter what the Suns do. They complained when it looked like the Suns were keeping Nash, and now they're complaining when it looks like they're letting him go.

The Suns were trying to make the playoffs. Lots of people on this board wanted them to start tanking earlier, but that isn't their style.

I doubt anyone could have forseen that Nash would get a 3-year offer at eight figures per. In fact when the speculation was that the Suns were going to offer $20M/2yrs, most of this board was aghast that they would consider such an absurd overpayment, and indeed there was great hand-wringing over how folly it would be to sign Nash to such a contract.

For the Raptors to give Nash that kind of deal is idiotic. If they want to do it, good for them, but you can't live in fear of every stupid thing your opponents might do.

He's not an asset at $10.5 million for next season. Once he's amnestied, he'll probably get an MLE deal for three years, or something around there. Phoenix can get into the bidding if they want, although that would probably mean reducing Telfair to a bench-warming insurance policy.

Its time for Nash to go. Its just emotionally hard to see him playing in another uni. Toronto would be OK, with the whole going home to Canada thing.

The problem with Toronto is that they have nothing really of value to offer in a s&t. They could offer Calderon, but why would we take him? We don't need the cap space if Nash walks and he is just an expiring anyway. They would have to spice it up with a pick.

My understanding is that Toronto has $11 to spend on free agency. I do not know how they plan on offering Nash $12 unless they are planning on a s&t.

The thought that all we got for Nash, Amare and Marion was the aging carcasss of Shaquille ONeal for a year is rather depressing.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yeah, not sure i get people upset with the fact that we don't want to bring back Nash at that cost... or at nay cost period.

Love what he did for the team, but it's time for all parties to move on.

I'm actually excited to see him play with talent again. Hope he takes a little less to try and win then end up in Toronto or Brooklyn where he'll be in a similar situation to what he is now.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The real question is where WE would prefer him to go. The ideal would be to a team that needs to do a s&t to get him.

Knicks
Nets

I don't think Cuban would do it. I am hoping something of some value comes back, even if it is a trade exception (which is useless I guess, since we are under the cap).

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Toronto, sign and trade for Bayless.
New York, sign and trade for Landry Fields.

Last edited:

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Bayless is about all I would be interested in from Toronto, but I don't know why we would want him when we could just sign Brooks. Fields would be good. Maybe we could take Calderon and Toronto's pick next year. They would not have to amnesty him (saves paying him) and maybe we could move him as an expiring later.

It would be an interesting pg rotation Marshall/Calderon/Telfair.

Last edited:

ASUCHRIS

ONE HEART BEAT!!!
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
Maybe we could take Calderon and Toronto's pick next year. They would not have to amnesty him (saves paying him) and maybe we could move him as an expiring later.

Calderon and a pick would be nice, although I doubt they would do it. Maybe Toronto would get desperate as it would be the only way they could pay Nash. In any event, would rather have Calderon than Bayless.

carey

VVVV Saints Fan VVVV
Reaction score
The real question is where WE would prefer him to go. The ideal would be to a team that needs to do a s&t to get him.

Knicks
Nets

I don't think Cuban would do it. I am hoping something of some value comes back, even if it is a trade exception (which is useless I guess, since we are under the cap).

Nets? They have a ton of cap room. Dallas does too but not nearly as much as NJ. I guess I can see them giving us a 2nd for some reason...

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
I have always been a fan of a 12-man roster that consists of 3 legitimate Centers, 3 legitimate Point Guards, 4 wings and 2 Power Forwards. That way, you would always have two Centers and two Point Guards regardless of injury, fatigue, foul trouble, etc.

The third Center and third PG would be your 11th and 12th men. Your wings would always be covered. And your third Center could be your third Power Forward, unless the Coach plays light with a Small Forward covering (not my favorite option).

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Its better to have 3 PFs than 2 Centers because

1.) much easier to find them
2.) cheaper
3.) more talented likely
4.) easier for a PF to play out of position at center than the other way around

BC867

Long time Phoenician!
Reaction score
Its better to have 3 PFs than 2 Centers because

1.) much easier to find them
2.) cheaper
3.) more talented likely
4.) easier for a PF to play out of position at center than the other way around
Tell that to Amar'e, who could have been one of the greatest Power Forwards of all time, but instead found himself as the only big man on the court in a sport which is standard with two.

slinslin

Welcome to Amareca
Reaction score
Tell that to Amar'e, who could have been one of the greatest Power Forwards of all time, but instead found himself as the only big man on the court in a sport which is standard with two.

Whats your point? Amare made all-nba first teams at center.

Imagine someone like Robin Lopez or Aaron Gray or Jake Tsakalidis or Jake Voshkul having to play minutes at the 4. :bang:

mojorizen7

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Why is everyone now bemoaning the probable loss of Nash?

I'm not complaining. :)
It is too bad that we kept him here longer than we should have though...Nash would've reaped assets for this organization if the FO had had any foresight. Same with the other marquee players we let walk without any returns.

Oh well.

Now the Suns will have to work hard at getting better. The direction they decide to take post-Nash will be transparent for even the kool-aid drinking fans to witness,and they(the Suns) wont be able to hide behind the face of the franchise any longer in terms of managing a roster.

The Suns will now have to display the ability to build something worthy from the ground up. I think many of us are skeptical if Sarver and his people have the ability to do that.

If he cant...it will be VERY interesting. In the end i think Sarver will fail,and thats the best thing that could happen for Suns fans who desire a legitimate product on the basketball court.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
The thing that irritates me is that the three cornerstones of our franchise have now left the team and we have nothing to show for it.

Marion-->Shaq-->Nothing
Amare-->Nothing
Nash-->Nothing

That is a SPECTACULAR failure.

JCSunsfan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The thing that irritates me is that the three cornerstones of our franchise have now left the team and we have nothing to show for it.

Marion-->Shaq-->Nothing
Amare-->Nothing
Nash-->Nothing

All true. Nothing to do about it now. Time to move on for me.

OP
OP
Folster

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Marion-->Shaq-->Nothing
Amare-->Nothing
Nash-->Nothing

Dude, I thought your post looked familiar...

Re: The Official Off-Season Thread

You must be registered for see images
by rsavaj on Sat Jun 30, 2012 12:26 pm

Marion-->Shaq-->Nothing
Amare-->Nothing
Nash-->Nothing

I know you copy and paste your own posts from board to board, but to just straight-up copy and paste another person's post as if it's yours is not cool. If you like what he posted give the guy some credit or at the very least least make it your own.

jw7

Woof!
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dude, I thought your post looked familiar...

I know you copy and paste your own posts from board to board, but to just straight-up copy and paste another person's post as if it's yours is not cool. If you like what he posted give the guy some credit or at the very least least make it your own.

Thanks Folster.

I hate this kind of crap. You can excerpt posts from somewhere else and give credit, but don't pass it off as your own.

You have 7 days off for now, maybe longer after I bring it up for mod discussion. Freaking lame.

OP
OP
Folster

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Thanks Folster.

I hate this kind of crap. You can excerpt posts from somewhere else and give credit, but don't pass it off as your own.

You have 7 days off for now, maybe longer after I bring it up for mod discussion. Freaking lame.

Geez, I wasn't trying to get the guy banned or anything.

Hey, for my own clarification: When I post an article on this forum like the Coro piece in this thread, am I able to post the whole article as long as I source it and provide the link or am I supposed to post only excerpts and link it?

Edit: Nevermind, I found it.

Last edited:

95pro

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Marion-->Shaq-->Nothing
Amare-->Nothing
Nash-->Nothing

Get a life bro. To copy n paste someone else's post from somewhere else, FAIL

jw7

Woof!
LEGACY MEMBER
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Geez, I wasn't trying to get the guy banned or anything.

Hey, for my own clarification: When I post an article on this forum like the Coro piece in this thread, am I able to post the whole article as long as I source it and provide the link or am I supposed to post only excerpts and link it?

Edit: Nevermind, I found it.

You can excerpt maybe 1-2 paragraphs, credit the author and provide the source.

If you post the full article from a site that is copyrighted (especially the AZ Republic) they will threaten to sue.

I have a note about this in the Cards forum, but I should probably copy it here as well.

The copying of another internet post is not copyrighted, but it is in just bad taste to represent it as your own idea.

Bufalay

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
You can excerpt maybe 1-2 paragraphs, credit the author and provide the source.

If you post the full article from a site that is copyrighted (especially the AZ Republic) they will threaten to sue.

I have a note about this in the Cards forum, but I should probably copy it here as well.

The copying of another internet post is not copyrighted, but it is in just bad taste to represent it as your own idea.

Are you sure he wasn't copying his/her own post from another site? I see nothing wrong with that.