Cord Cutters

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
It's going to be for live sports content. A commercial free option is not possible. Basically cable with just the sports channels.
They'll still offer commercial free and then put up the placard saying "we're in a commercial" break like they do now on streams that they don't have the commercials on for. Enough people will sign up for it that they'll try it.

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They'll still offer commercial free and then put up the placard saying "we're in a commercial" break like they do now on streams that they don't have the commercials on for. Enough people will sign up for it that they'll try it.

Way, way back in the early HD days, one of my favorite places to view hockey games was on Cuban's HDNet channel (now AXS TV). The picture was glorious of course, but even better was the announcers would take these long breaks which were called 'sounds of the ice' or something like that. Basically, they shut the announcer mics off and just let the on-ice mics play. You could hear the skates, the puck on sticks, the on-ice communication between the players, the chirping (oh, the chirping!), everything. Just the best.

During tv time-outs and commercial breaks, they would just leave the wide shot up with the in-house PA and rink noise being the only thing on.

I'd pay big for that if I could get Yotes games that way.

Folster

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
There's no precedent for that. The advertisers are paying to have their commercials air during the game. Those ads will run, the only time I see them not run is when the streaming service can't fill their allotted slots with ad buys. The national ads always run.

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
Way, way back in the early HD days, one of my favorite places to view hockey games was on Cuban's HDNet channel (now AXS TV). The picture was glorious of course, but even better was the announcers would take these long breaks which were called 'sounds of the ice' or something like that. Basically, they shut the announcer mics off and just let the on-ice mics play. You could hear the skates, the puck on sticks, the on-ice communication between the players, the chirping (oh, the chirping!), everything. Just the best.

During tv time-outs and commercial breaks, they would just leave the wide shot up with the in-house PA and rink noise being the only thing on.

I'd pay big for that if I could get Yotes games that way.
I'd pay extra to have no announcers and just game sound. The only time I want to hear someone is for something like an injury report.

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd pay extra to have no announcers and just game sound. The only time I want to hear someone is for something like an injury report.

Same. I know what's going on in the game. I'm usually just listening to sat radio because I get so sick of the same old schtick.

I'm sure the tech could be implemented in streaming and probably even Next-Gen broadcasts to provide the user with their choice of sound mixes. I'm not sure the broadcasters want to give the consumer that choice, however.

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
Same. I know what's going on in the game. I'm usually just listening to sat radio because I get so sick of the same old schtick.

I'm sure the tech could be implemented in streaming and probably even Next-Gen broadcasts to provide the user with their choice of sound mixes. I'm not sure the broadcasters want to give the consumer that choice, however.
What I'd really love is to get something like this for all sports. This is just a demo and no a real product yet but it would be so cool have for real. For football and hockey you could have the field/ice with all of the player's locations show. I'd get the CC out for it.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What I'd really love is to get something like this for all sports. This is just a demo and no a real product yet but it would be so cool have for real. For football and hockey you could have the field/ice with all of the player's locations show. I'd get the CC out for it.

That's pretty wild!

OP
OP
Covert Rain

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

You must be registered for see images attach

OP
OP
Covert Rain

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Has anybody else noticed since Best Buy has announced they are no longer carrying media that all of the sudden Walmart and Target are getting exclusive sets like Steel Box sets when they never used to before?

Devilmaycare

Chief Brah Officer
Reaction score
Has anybody else noticed since Best Buy has announced they are no longer carrying media that all of the sudden Walmart and Target are getting exclusive sets like Steel Box sets when they never used to before?
I haven't been paying too much attention since there hasn't been much coming out (expect James Cameron day is next week!) but the Steel Books had been a BestBuy exclusive so it makes sense that they switched to the other retailers now which is good. I was worried that they might go away.

Ronin

…..
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Sling couldn’t process my debit card for a payment so they dropped me.
I told them to shut up and take my money but they said no.

I have fubo tv now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose