Cord Cutters

Covert Rain

Father smelt of elderberries!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK, cord cutters. Out of curiosity what is your setup? Do you use an OTA DVR? Which OTA antenna did you go with? What streaming services do you have? What do you like and don't like about your setup?

I am getting serious about cutting the cord after having DirecTV since the year they rolled out service. Man are they going to be shocked. I just want to weigh all the options and hopefully benefit from your experience.

wa52lz

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I pay for Netflix and Amazon and stream to Rokus on each TV. I use plain old rabbit ears for my OTA, I don't get all channels in all rooms, but 3-5-10 (im in phx) in all rooms and 15 in 2. I'm unable to get channel 12 anywhere in the house. I'm just about 30 miles from S. MTN by PV Mall. If you have cox internet, you still get a lot of the 2-22 channels w/o paying for any TV package, Ive been told there isn't away to filter that from the internet signal, but who knows.

OP
OP
Covert Rain

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I pay for Netflix and Amazon and stream to Rokus on each TV. I use plain old rabbit ears for my OTA, I don't get all channels in all rooms, but 3-5-10 (im in phx) in all rooms and 15 in 2. I'm unable to get channel 12 anywhere in the house. I'm just about 30 miles from S. MTN by PV Mall. If you have cox internet, you still get a lot of the 2-22 channels w/o paying for any TV package, Ive been told there isn't away to filter that from the internet signal, but who knows.

I do have Cox Internet. You get those channels without a box?

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK, cord cutters. Out of curiosity what is your setup? Do you use an OTA DVR? Which OTA antenna did you go with? What streaming services do you have? What do you like and don't like about your setup?

I am getting serious about cutting the cord after having DirecTV since the year they rolled out service. Man are they going to be shocked. I just want to weigh all the options and hopefully benefit from your experience.

OTA antenna mounted on the roof. Got it for around $45 on Amazon. I get some stations as far away as Tucson with that thing. I use a HTPC running Windows 7 with a USB TV tuner stick for around $20.

The only thing that I really miss is live sports. The internet is a hell of a place though, and you can find practically anything either live or within a few hours on the internet. Avoiding spoilers is tough sometimes.

We currently have Amazon Prime, Netflix with 4 devices, HBO GO, (through a friends account) and Hulu Plus without commercials. It is more than enough TV to watch for us, so we barely have missed not having the cord. 5+ years now and I would never go back. I wasn't getting anywhere near the $125 a month value I was spending.

OP
OP
Covert Rain

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
OTA antenna mounted on the roof. Got it for around $45 on Amazon. I get some stations as far away as Tucson with that thing. I use a HTPC running Windows 7 with a USB TV tuner stick for around $20.

The only thing that I really miss is live sports. The internet is a hell of a place though, and you can find practically anything either live or within a few hours on the internet. Avoiding spoilers is tough sometimes.

We currently have Amazon Prime, Netflix with 4 devices, HBO GO, (through a friends account) and Hulu Plus without commercials. It is more than enough TV to watch for us, so we barely have missed not having the cord. 5+ years now and I would never go back. I wasn't getting anywhere near the $125 a month value I was spending.

Which Antenna do you have?

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I feel like this whole thread is deja-vu but it says it was created today.

Out of curiosity what is your setup? Xbox in the living room, Roku in the bedrooms. Chromecast, apple tv, etc all work fine too. smart tvs have all the stuff as well.

Do you use an OTA DVR? waiting for xbox one to have it, a lot of DVr are either really expensive or have monthly fees.

Which OTA antenna did you go with? a cheap one, works just as good as an expensive one.

What streaming services do you have? netflix and hulu along with my moms hbo password. I tried amazon but it was mostly same as netflix. also tried sling tv and its not worth $20 monthly IMO.

What do you like and don't like about your setup? Cord cutting is one of the best budget measures I have ever done. I am backlogged with shows and never say "there is nothing on TV"

The only thing I dislike is that I dont get walking dead but I just buy the season pass for $43 and every episode comes to me the monday after it airs.

Fear the walking dead is on hulu but most shows release the next day, fear releases months after the season is over so I will have to buy that also. Other shows can wait but i cant wait for TWD.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
PS my cheap antenna gets all phoenix valley stations without an issue.

OP
OP
Covert Rain

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I feel like this whole thread is deja-vu but it says it was created today.

Out of curiosity what is your setup? Xbox in the living room, Roku in the bedrooms. Chromecast, apple tv, etc all work fine too. smart tvs have all the stuff as well.

Do you use an OTA DVR? waiting for xbox one to have it, a lot of DVr are either really expensive or have monthly fees.

Which OTA antenna did you go with? a cheap one, works just as good as an expensive one.

What streaming services do you have? netflix and hulu along with my moms hbo password. I tried amazon but it was mostly same as netflix. also tried sling tv and its not worth $20 monthly IMO.

What do you like and don't like about your setup? Cord cutting is one of the best budget measures I have ever done. I am backlogged with shows and never say "there is nothing on TV"

The only thing I dislike is that I dont get walking dead but I just buy the season pass for $43 and every episode comes to me the monday after it airs.

Fear the walking dead is on hulu but most shows release the next day, fear releases months after the season is over so I will have to buy that also. Other shows can wait but i cant wait for TWD.

OK, so as of TODAY (not counting DIRECTV) I have Hulu Plus, Netflix, Amazon Prime. I don't have an XBOX in the living room.

I have been doing a ton of research and when adding fees etc. I am leaning towards a TABLO DVR plus it does streaming of recorded content out of the box. I think I want to pair that with Roku (will be adding HBO NOW). Debating on SlingTV only because the wife really really wants HGTV.

In terms of the OTA Antenna, I love on the outskirts of Queen Creek so I think I am going to need a really good OTA. I would prefer to install it in my attic but who knows how badly that is going to impact the signal.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK, so as of TODAY (not counting DIRECTV) I have Hulu Plus, Netflix, Amazon Prime. I don't have an XBOX in the living room.

I have been doing a ton of research and when adding fees etc. I am leaning towards a TABLO DVR plus it does streaming of recorded content out of the box. I think I want to pair that with Roku (will be adding HBO NOW). Debating on SlingTV only because the wife really really wants HGTV.

In terms of the OTA Antenna, I love on the outskirts of Queen Creek so I think I am going to need a really good OTA. I would prefer to install it in my attic but who knows how badly that is going to impact the signal.

If take is an issue I would go with an antenna on the roof.

If you have all those services AND cable than sling may feel like a decent deal. It also had AMC and ESPN but no on demand so you have to watch live to get AMC shows.

For me it would be used so rarely that it was not worth $20 a month. It is rare that I sit down at the appropriate time to watch a show live

I haven't had DVR for years and with Hulu, you get most TV programming already. Try doing this without the DVR and maybe without sling for the first 6 months, you may save a ton of dough deciding you don't need all the other stuff

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Covert Rain

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
If take is an issue I would go with an antenna on the roof.

If you have all those services AND cable than sling may feel like a decent deal. It also had AMC and ESPN but no on demand so you have to watch live to get AMC shows.

For me it would be used so rarely that it was not worth $20 a month. It is rare that I sit down at the appropriate time to watch a show live

I haven't had DVR for years and with Hulu, you get most TV programming already. Try doing this without the DVR and maybe without sling for the first 6 months, you may save a ton of dough deciding you don't need all the other stuff

Actually I would love to skip SlingTV but it's the only way the wife can get HGTV. Even through Roku I believe you need a subscription. Typically, I watch most TV shows same night but not live so I don't mind investing in the DVR to record OTA shows on the major networks.

In terms of the Antenna, I might try in the attic first and if it's dodgy or I can't get all the stations I want, I might just have to do the roof.

dreamcastrocks

Chopped Liver Moderator
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Actually I would love to skip SlingTV but it's the only way the wife can get HGTV. Even through Roku I believe you need a subscription. Typically, I watch most TV shows same night but not live so I don't mind investing in the DVR to record OTA shows on the major networks.

In terms of the Antenna, I might try in the attic first and if it's dodgy or I can't get all the stations I want, I might just have to do the roof.

SlingTV has an Xbox One app. There's that I guess.

OP
OP
Covert Rain

Covert Rain

Supporting Member
Reaction score
SlingTV has an Xbox One app. There's that I guess.

I don't want to move the XBOX ONE to the living room. However, from what I understand Roku now as a SlingTV app.

Last edited:

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Maybe find someone who will give you their cable password for HGTV and ESPN apps

Town Drunk

Longest serving ASFN lurker
Reaction score
I pay for Sling TV and HBO. 35 bucks for 21 channels, that includes HBO and ESPN. I have a Amazon Fire Stick which I use for Sling and to stream Prime movies/shows. I unfortunately live in a mountainous area, so I cant receive OTA channels, as much as I would like to.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I pay for Sling TV and HBO. 35 bucks for 21 channels, that includes HBO and ESPN. I have a Amazon Fire Stick which I use for Sling and to stream Prime movies/shows. I unfortunately live in a mountainous area, so I cant receive OTA channels, as much as I would like to.
No Netflix, amazon or Hulu?

Town Drunk

Longest serving ASFN lurker
Reaction score
No Netflix, amazon or Hulu?

Prime is Amazon.

No Netflix or Hulu. If there's a show I really want to watch you can usually stream off of the networks website.

What kills me is not getting my regional sports network. That's a loss i haven't been able to make up yet.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Prime is Amazon.

No Netflix or Hulu. If there's a show I really want to watch you can usually stream off of the networks website.

What kills me is not getting my regional sports network. That's a loss i haven't been able to make up yet.
Yeah I somehow read the prime part like you meant streaming movie rentals, my bad.

Lots of sports is the biggest problem, sling solves a lot but doesn't help for asu games unless on ESPN.

I really only care about NFL anyway so it's fine for me, the only games I miss/can't watch are the NFL network only games unless it's the cardinals

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I cut the cord last October. I bought a 20 dollar Mohu Leaf on Amazon and get the major channels in HD. I then bought a Channel Master DVR+ so I can record and save live tv. You also need to purchase an external hard drive if you want to save more than a few hours of tv. I also have Netflix and can use my friend's Hulu if needed. When the baseball season starts, I will be using my friend's cox login to see what I can watch since I can't watch the Dbacks on mlb.tv (which was going to be my plan until I read that games are blacked out, soooo annoying).

I love my setup and having a DVR. I'm saving about a hundred bucks a month.

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score

Yes, if you're willing to dive into uh...a "gray area" you can find live sports without a problem. Most in HD as well.

thirty-two

boglehead
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, if you're willing to dive into uh...a "gray area" you can find live sports without a problem. Most in HD as well.

Hypothetically speaking, what might this gray area consist of? Or how might one identify such an area? Asking for a friend, of course.