Cord Cutters

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by Covert Rain, Feb 25, 2016.

1. gmabel830

gmabel830 It's football season!!

My in-line OTA antenna gets the NBC station in Tucson prefect and NBC station in Phoenix is unwatchable choppy.. not sure why, but if it's not broken don't fix it, right?

I live in North Phoenix.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

2. Covert Rain

Covert Rain Father smelt of elderberries!

It’s all about “line of sight”. We are the same way because we have foothills that block PHX but Tucson is perfect.

3. Southpaw

Southpaw Provocateur aka Wallyburger Contributor

4. Covert Rain

Covert Rain Father smelt of elderberries!

Don't know anything about fubo.tv but I know a couple people who tried DirecTV now and hated it. Have no personal experience on those two. Still loving my PS Vue.

5. Town Drunk

Town Drunk Longest serving ASFN lurker

I have DiretcvNow. I signed up in the beginning so I’m locked in to their $35 a month plan that includes over a hundred channels (you can’t get that offer now).

I had some buffering issues with it, especially during prime time hours. However, I was invited to test their new beta app on the Fire TV and it works flawlessly, very little buffering. I think they have more servers dedicated to their beta testing, so there isn’t as much buffering. Once they roll it out to everyone, I think the service will be much improved.

Southpaw likes this.
  6. Mainstreet

Mainstreet Registered User Contributor

I still have DirecTV but I am preparing for the future. I'm thinking about going with Sling television and getting the free 7 day trial.

Here is what really got me rolling though. I'm planning to get a new television around 50 inches or so.

I want to make sure I am buying the right television that can get me into the future with streaming.

I'm wondering if Wi-Fi TV is the way to go. Also I'm wondering if one still needs a separate device like Roku to stream programming like Sling.

Any thoughts would be welcome.

7. Southpaw

I believe a "smart" TV would not require a Roku/Firestick/Chromecast.

cardncubfan and Mainstreet like this.
  8. jbeecham

jbeecham Registered User

You'll probably still need a roku, firetv, etc... It just depends on the smart tv that you buy & how good/smart it is. I haven't bought a smart tv in a while (3 years ago), but the apps like Hulu & Netflix were REALLY slow & limited apps were available. There's a good chance streaming apps like Sling Tv wouldn't be available for your smart tv. I hope they've improved since then... maybe someone else can chime in.

There are some low-end TV's with Roku built into them (element, hisense, rca, insignia, sharp, tcl, etc), but you need to look at reviews to see if they're decent TVs.
    Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

cardncubfan and Mainstreet like this.
  9. Mainstreet

I really appreciate the feed back. I'm looking to get a smart TV with Wi-Fi. Can't hurt. :p

If need be, I will add Roku or Firetv.

It will be a learning experience for me but I need to take the next step and what better time than purchasing a new TV. I'm afraid DirecTV will soon price me out of the market.

Thinking out loud, I'm wondering if I can even stream from my laptop or desk top straight to my TV using Wi-Fi for YouTube videos and such.

If nothing else I will enjoy watching sporting events on a larger screen.

Thanks all. :thumbup:

Southpaw likes this.
  10. BillsCarnage

BillsCarnage Registered

Call them and talk to the customer retention department - not the regular customer service. You'll have to jump through some hoops, but it might be worth it. I got them to knock about $25 off my monthly bill by agreeing to another 2yrs and didn't have to change my package. The basic customer service wanted to push me to a new package.

If both devices can screencast you can. For example, I have a dumb TV, but I can cast from my ipad to the xbox and watch that way.

Mainstreet likes this.
  11. devilalum

devilalum Salary Cap Casualty

40 inch hdtv with built in roku on amazon for $200.

I got a firetv cube on sale for 89.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mainstreet and cardncubfan like this.
  12. Ronin

Ronin Quick to point out the obvious Contributor

I tried sling but I was out of market for Fox Sports Arizona, quickly canceled.
    So I'm trying youtube tv, I'm getting Fox Sports Arizona, and Fox Sports plus from them.....so far everything is a go.:clapping:

Mainstreet likes this.
  13. Southpaw

I have both a Roku and a Firestick. Roku has 3 models and I have the middle level option ( 49.95 ). I have the cheapest Firerstick ( $19.95). Both work well. Both have voice search. Roku model also has volume control on the remote with hot buttons for Hulu/Netflix/Sling. I like the Roku better but both work quite well. Much news about Hulu. Disney, Fox and Comcast are the major owners and are pouring huge dollars into the platform. Beware the ESPN package. It is minus most of the premier programming.

Mainstreet likes this.
  14. Mainstreet

I agree. Talking to regular customer service is a waste of time. I received a discount on my last contract but it literally went to overtime. They initially said no but right before canceling my service a week later I called one last time. Gladly they said yes this time. It was not a pleasant experience. Sometimes I think it is all about talking to the right people.

15. Mainstreet

It sounds like if I buy a smart TV (with the right connections) I will probably not need all the bells and whistles. Roku and Firestick will likely serve me nicely.