Chopper's 1st Round Mock Draft (no trades)

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Here it is. Players were ranked and then teams were given players who best fit their scheme with need as a tie breaker.

1 - Houston - Jaddaveon Clowney - South Carolina - DE
*Best player in the draft. Romeo has a history of playing athletic DEs at OLB.

2 - St. Louis frm Wash - Greg Robinson - Auburn - OT
*Physical OT for a run first offense which will be featuring Zach Stacy. Rams are going to gamble Manziel is there at #13.

3 - Jacksonville - Khalil Mack - Buffalo - LB
*My favorite defensive player who is a leader and a 3 down LB. This team made strides in 2013 and has a head coach who has a mind for defense. BPA.

4 - Cleveland - Johnny Manziel - Texas A&M - QB
*Cleveland is looking to make a splash after a tough year and Manziel is the guy to do it.

5 - Oakland - Sammy Watkins Jr. - Clemson - WR
*Poor Sammy is heading to Oakland where he will have a new coach next year. Impact player who can make an immediate impact which is what McKenzie is looking for so he can keep his job.

6 - Atlanta - Jake Matthews - Texas A&M - OT
*Solid pick who is BPA and fills a huge need. Adds physicality up front which the team needs.

7 - Tampa Bay - Mike Evans - Texas A&M - WR
*Smith is going to try and recreate McCown's success in Chicago and to do that, he is going to add another towering WR to catch jump balls dow the field.

8 - Minnesota - Blake Bortles - Central Florida - QB
*This is a tough one because I know the Vikings like Aaron Donald but I know they need a QB. I think they take Bortles and are shocked that he fell in their laps.

9 - Buffalo - Taylor Lewan - Michigan - OT
*Lots of ways to go with this pick, but I believe the Bills will look to protect their young QB who missed several games last year due to taking hits. Lewan would probably line up at RT and keep Glenn at LT.

10 - Detroit - Justin Gilbert - Oklahoma St. - CB
*Who knows what the Lions will do. I just looked at the BPA and looked at their roster. Seemed a pretty simple match.

11 - Tennessee - Kyle Fuller - Virginia Tech - CB
*We know Ray Horton likes NTs and CBs who are smart, versatile and athletic. Fuller fits all of these and is a better prospect than Louis Nix III.

12 - NY Giants - Aaron Donald - Pittsburgh - DT
*Another instance where we know the Giants love versatile defensive linemen and Donald is ranked higher than other players at need areas. Donald is similar to Justin Tuck but is a bit more athletic and can help restore some crediblity to the NY defensive line.

13 - St. Louis - Odell Beckham Jr - LSU - WR
*Manziel is gone and so the Rams will look to give more weapons to Bradford. OBJ is probably the player the Rams thought they were getting with Tavon Austin, and he would be another offensive weapon to help see if Bradford is worth signing to a new contract.

14 - Chicago - Calvin Pryor - Louisville - S
*Chicago made upgrading the defensive front a priority this offseason and I expect them to continue upgrading the defense but this time in the secondary. Pryor offers a physical style Chicago has always prided itself on and is scheme diverse.

15 - Pittsburgh - Ra'Shede Hageman - Minnesota - DE
*A bunch of ways this pick could have gone but I again used a bit of history to help make the pick. Pittsburgh has used first round picks on DEs in the past in Heyward and Hood and prioritizes being physical on defense. Hageman brings the physical pressence that the Steelers value and is strong enough to push double teams as the scheme requires.

16 - Dallas - Anthony Barr - UCLA - DE
*I don't think this is a great fit, but Kiffin has a history of making smaller DEs work and Barr is similar physically to Ware who was signed by Denver. He is also a great value pick here so he will be tough to pass on.

17 - Baltimore - Eric Ebron - North Carolina - TE
*Baltimore is looking to add weapons for Flacco and WR seems less of an option after they have signed Steve Smith. Ebron is the type of TE Kubiak can get the most out of and could be considered the BPA at this spot.

18 - NY Jets - Hasean Clinton-Dix - Alabama - S
*My first thought was to give the Jets an offensive player, but I am guessing Ryan will request they continue to upgrade the defense and this time they will add a top S to back up their impressive defensive front. A deep WR helps the Jets stick to the top player on their board and take HCD.

19 - Miami - Zach Martin - Notre Dame - OT
*Miami needs to protect Tannehill and Martin is the best option available to do so. He is a safe pick and will help the Dolphins move away from the Incognito scandal. It may not be THE deciding factor in the pick, but it will be one of them.

20 - Arizona - Stephon Tuitt - Notre Dame - DE
*It isn't often teams find defensive line playmakers like Tuitt can be with his size as well. The Cardinals have one in Calais Campbell and will add another in Tuitt. No trades which leads to the Cards taking a valuable defensive line player over some other players who are questionable scheme fits.

21 - Green Bay - CJ Mosley - Alabama - LB
*Packers add an ILB who can play all three downs and be a leader on the defense. Mosley is a LB who can keep up with the Forte's and Bush's in the division.

22 - Philadelphia - Brandin Cooks - Oregon St. - WR
*Kelly adds the playmaker that Desean Jackson was with the character Kelly wished he had. Cooks is a great WR who is excellent in space which is something Kelly covets on offense. No great defensive fits on the board who are better prospects than Cooks.

23 - Kansas City - Marquise Lee - USC - WR
*Bowe is terrible and has never developed into the player the Chiefs wanted him to be. Lee is a different type of WR but is one who is in the DJackson, J Maclin mold that Reid is comfortable with. Lee trumps the available offensive line and defensive line options.

24 - Cincinnati - Jason Verrett - TCU - CB
*Verrett fits the Leon Hall style of CB the Bengals have had success with in the past. He fills a need, but Bridgewater might be a player who is considered here or possibly Kony Ealy.

25 - San Diego - Bradley Roby - Ohio St. - CB
*The Chargers have invested a ton into their front 7 and it couldn't stop Manning. Probably time to invest in some CBs to match up with Denver's passing game. Roby is a big, physical CB who was once considered a top 15 prospect.

26 - Cleveland frm Indy - Allen Robinson - Penn St. - WR
*The Browns add another physical freak at the WR position to give Manziel a complement to Josh Gordon.

27 - New Orleans - Ryan Shazier - Ohio St. - LB
*A nice fit at ILB in Rob Ryan's 3-4 defense, Shazier brings playmaking skills to the inside of the defense and can be effective vs the pass as well.

28 - Carolina - Cyrus Kouandijio - Alabama - OT
*Carolina seems determined to not give Newton weapons in the passing game and so I will continue that trend by giving them a power OT to go with their power running game. Cyrus isn't the prospect most thought he was prior to this season, but he is still a good one and fits what Carolina seems to be doing on offense.

29 - New England - Scott Crichton - Oregon St. - DE
*A legit bookend to go with Chandler Jones, Crichton beings a very similar skill set to go along with a great work ethic and a solid football IQ.

30 - San Fran - Stanley Jean-Baptiste - Nebraska - CB
*This is a guess, but San Fran is in a bitter rivalry with Seattle and is in a division with Arizona's big WRs. It makes sense to challenge Seattle's style of physical CB play while also giving a big CB to match up with Floyd and Fitz. SJB brings a similar style as Darqueze Dennard who some rank higher, but combines that style with much larger size and size is something San Fran covets on defense.

31 - Denver - Xavier Su'a-Filo - UCLA - OG
*Denver has spent the offseason improving the defense and now it is time to add a physical linemen to complement Monte Ball's power running style. Manning loves to run the dive play in short yardage situations and Su'a-Filo gives the Broncos a player who can push the pile forward.

32 - Seattle - Timmy Jernigan - Florida St. - DT
*Seattle has lost some players along their defensive line and aren't able to go out a buy them with some big contracts coming up. Jernigan fits Seattle's desire to add competitors to their roster and playmakers up front.

There is it folks, rip it to shreds. No trades causes some players to drop who probably won't. Brindgewater and Carr are both fronge first round guys who probably get traded up for. I have expressed my feeling on my Dennard will drop before but if you need to know why, please ask. Jimmie Ward and Kony Ealy could go in the first as well but I thought other players were better overall.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
I like Tuitt, but I would think we'd go LB with those choices left.

Shazier is made to order for this division. Mosley would be a really good SOLB in a 3/4. Pro Bowl good very possibly.

I just don't see Clevland passing on Watkins.

That'd be a prolific WR duo over there. A lot of vet QB's would love to get the chance to play behind a line featuring Joe Thomas throwing to the likes of Gordon, Cameron and then Watkins.

Russ Smith

The Original Whizzinator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Isn't that the kid who pulled out of workouts because of a fractured foot?

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The Titans also need an outside LB for the Horton system, and the Bears need help on the D-line. Can't see us taking Tuitt with better talent on the board, but, who knows. Great effort, by the way.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
Very few picks I would disagree with, very sound reasoning given for each pick.

OP
OP
Chopper0080

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Good mock though I don't like the Cards pick of Tuitt

Why? I get that he could be considered a bit of a reach, but he is a pass rushing 5 tech and very similar to Calias Campbell. Guy had 18.5 sacks over the past two seasons at Notre Dame. Also, a bunch of these guys are going to bunch up in terms of draft grade. His won't be much different than other guys available.

OP
OP
Chopper0080

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
The Titans also need an outside LB for the Horton system, and the Bears need help on the D-line. Can't see us taking Tuitt with better talent on the board, but, who knows. Great effort, by the way.

Agree on the Titans, but consider there are a bunch of hybrid OLB/DE prospects in this draft and very few CBs who can come in a learn Horton's scheme very quickly. They will make Derrick Morgan work for a year and groom the guy behind him. Remember, Horton made our OLBs work and we didn;t have great ones.

As far as better talent available...who? Mosely? We aren't spending another top pick on an ILB. Shazier? Again, we are not spending another top pick on an ILB. Tuitt is 6'5 300 lbs and runs a sub 5.0 40. He generated 18.5 sacks over the past two seasons. Who has better talent than that and is available in this scenario?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Chopper0080

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I like Tuitt, but I would think we'd go LB with those choices left.

Shazier is made to order for this division. Mosley would be a really good SOLB in a 3/4. Pro Bowl good very possibly.

I just don't see Clevland passing on Watkins.

That'd be a prolific WR duo over there. A lot of vet QB's would love to get the chance to play behind a line featuring Joe Thomas throwing to the likes of Gordon, Cameron and then Watkins.

What vet QBs are going to be available? I really like Watkins as well, but this is a very deep WR draft and not a deep QB draft. After an offseason debacle, Manziel gives you a playmaker at the QB position who is going to generate excitement for the organization. I'm not the biggest Manziel fan, but he makes sense to Cleveland.

OP
OP
Chopper0080

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Man...I really think the Vikings are gonna take Donald...I hope Bortles falls so we can trade back and get a decent haul.

TJ

Frank Kaminsky is my Hero.
Reaction score
Glazer is reporting that Cleveland has no interest in Manziel. Call it smokescreen or otherwise, he's usually right when he reports on something. If that's the case, Manziel could tumble to the late first round.

Also, Marinelli is the DC in Dallas, no longer Kiffin. Barr is still in play, but I think they go Dix.

sunsfan88

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I sure hope the Chargers don't pass on Sua-Filo and Nix for freaking Roby. CB is a need but so is NT & G.

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
Tuitt over Shazier?

The Lions at #10 at probably the biggest question mark in round one. All the mock drafters are struggling with that pick. I think Gilbert is a reach there but we'll see.

OP
OP
Chopper0080

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Tuitt over Shazier?

The Lions at #10 at probably the biggest question mark in round one. All the mock drafters are struggling with that pick. I think Gilbert is a reach there but we'll see.

Stephon Tuitt...6'5 304...18.5 sacks over past two seasons.

Ryan Shazier...6'1 237...11 sack over past two seasons.

Which player fits best in your opinion in a 3-4 defense that emphasizes DE penetration and physical edge toughness?

Which player plays a more valuable position, the DE or the ILB?

Which player best represents the philosophy of length and physicality?

I'm not saying it is a lock that Tuitt is a better player than Shazier, but I am saying there isn't the huge disparity between the two that people seem to think. When you consider positional value, scheme fit and potential, Tuitt shows up very well. Also consider, Tuitt isn't even 21 yet. He has been very productive and even dominant at times as a 19 and 20 year old in major college football.

Denny Green Fan

Registered
Reaction score
Why? I get that he could be considered a bit of a reach, but he is a pass rushing 5 tech and very similar to Calias Campbell. Guy had 18.5 sacks over the past two seasons at Notre Dame. Also, a bunch of these guys are going to bunch up in terms of draft grade. His won't be much different than other guys available.

This. I thought he was going top 15 for sure at the start of the year. We can

still get Von Noy, Smith, or Murphy in the second round.

Cbus cardsfan

Back to Back ASFN FFL Champion
Reaction score
As long as he checks out medically, I'm fine with Tuitt at 20. He's had injuries in back to back years but they don't seem to be of the serious nature. He had a sports hernia and a previously undetected broken metatarsal bone in his foot. The foot could be an issue.

GuernseyCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score

Which player fits best in your opinion in a 3-4 defense that emphasizes DE penetration and physical edge toughness?

I'm not saying it is a lock that Tuitt is a better player than Shazier, but I am saying there isn't the huge disparity between the two that people seem to think. When you consider positional value, scheme fit and potential, Tuitt shows up very well. Also consider, Tuitt isn't even 21 yet. He has been very productive and even dominant at times as a 19 and 20 year old in major college football.

Except that they would be giving Shazier every opportunity to become the designated OLB pass rusher.

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score

I like Ryan Shazier's versatility and his potential ability to cover tight ends, even elite tight ends like Vernon Davis. Nothing wrong with Tuitt especially in a trade-back scenario.

OP
OP
Chopper0080

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Except that they would be giving Shazier every opportunity to become the designated OLB pass rusher.

Ok...the issue would be that you are probably drafting Shazier to sub/replace Abaraham who is about 20 lbs heavier than Shazier at OLB in our system. I understand the rush potential of Shazier, but you are talking about adding a finesse edge rusher who has thrived by being protected by a front 4 to a system that doesn't afford him that protection in the most physical division in football.

I'm sure it could be made to work in some capacity, but for the #20 pick in the draft, you shouldn't have to change your scheme to fit the player drafted.

OP
OP
Chopper0080

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I like Ryan Shazier's versatility and his potential ability to cover tight ends, even elite tight ends like Vernon Davis. Nothing wrong with Tuitt especially in a trade-back scenario.

Shazier is 6'1 and Vernon Davis is 6'3...Jared Cook is 6'4...Jimmy Graham is 6'4.... I'm not sure how Shazier stacks up in coverage against those guys except with speed, but are you really spending the #20 pick on an OLB to cover TEs? Especially when you have a similar player on your roster in Daryl Washington who is of similar size and speed.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Ok...the issue would be that you are probably drafting Shazier to sub/replace Abaraham who is about 20 lbs heavier than Shazier at OLB in our system. I understand the rush potential of Shazier, but you are talking about adding a finesse edge rusher who has thrived by being protected by a front 4 to a system that doesn't afford him that protection in the most physical division in football.

I'm sure it could be made to work in some capacity, but for the #20 pick in the draft, you shouldn't have to change your scheme to fit the player drafted.

Yup. That's the thing--Shazier might be an ideal replacement for Daryl Washington. I know that we worked with similar skill sets between Washington and Dansby for most of last year, but Dansby was a veteran who knew the system, and I think that Washington still struggles with the finer points of the defense (at least, he hasn't mastered it to the point where he was the one calling the plays).

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beagleperson