Chopper's 1st Round Mock Draft (no trades)

Totally_Red

Air Raid Warning!
Reaction score
Shazier is 6'1 and Vernon Davis is 6'3...Jared Cook is 6'4...Jimmy Graham is 6'4.... I'm not sure how Shazier stacks up in coverage against those guys except with speed, but are you really spending the #20 pick on an OLB to cover TEs? Especially when you have a similar player on your roster in Daryl Washington who is of similar size and speed.

You are spending the 20th pick to obtain a versatile defender who can play inside or outside, defend the run, contribute on special teams initially, rush the passer, cover tight ends and running backs out of the backfield and spy on quarterbacks who can kill you with 20-30 yard scrambles like Kaepernick and Wilson and never leave the field.

Some of the best coverage of Jimmy Graham last season was by Aqib Talib, who stands 6'1".

OP
OP
Chopper0080

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
You are spending the 20th pick to obtain a versatile defender who can play inside or outside, defend the run, contribute on special teams initially, rush the passer, cover tight ends and running backs out of the backfield and spy on quarterbacks who can kill you with 20-30 yard scrambles like Kaepernick and Wilson and never leave the field.

Some of the best coverage of Jimmy Graham last season was by Aqib Talib, who stands 6'1".

Talib is a CB, not a LB. It goes without saying that he spend most of his career defending vs the pass and a good portion of the time vs WRs who were bigger than he is. Shazier hasn't.

Ok, you are advocating drafting a swiss army knife at #20 when the value is in drafting a machete. If I want a complete LB, I will draft Van Noy in the 2nd round. The value is in an edge pass rusher be it at DE or at OLB. Yes, Shazier has the speed to be an effective rush LB, but he lacks the size to set the edge of the defense consistently. In a 3-4, your edge rush LB rarely drops into coverage because you want him to be rushing the QB, setting the edge or sealing off the cutback lanes. He will be dropping into coverage a handful of times per game.

Because of this, why does it make sense to give up something that a player has to do often (set the edge vs the run) in favor of gaining a skill (playing in pass coverage) that he will do very few times per game?

We need players for the front 7 of our defense who can play the run, create pressure on the QB, and make plays in the backfield without being protected or having to rely on other players. Tuitt fits this profile better than Shazier does.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
Why? I get that he could be considered a bit of a reach, but he is a pass rushing 5 tech and very similar to Calias Campbell. Guy had 18.5 sacks over the past two seasons at Notre Dame. Also, a bunch of these guys are going to bunch up in terms of draft grade. His won't be much different than other guys available.

I hear what your saying & understand the logic chopper. First of all I don't think he's athletic as CC & he's built thicker while Calais is leaner & then as you say I don't think he's worth the 20th pick. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think he's gonna be an average pro.