Chargers at Cardinals gameday thread 11-27-22

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It's not a win for Kyler, but shows the play wasn't his fault. Nor was the idiotic choice to go for it in the first place. Nor was the idea not to run a simple play to go for it after the idiotic choice.

The QB saying "We were schematically ******" as some kind of an excuse is is a joke. If only he had the ability to see they were schematically ****** and call a TO or audible before the play.

Especially when the pass to Nuk was on and he massively under threw it.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
The QB saying "We were schematically ******" as some kind of an excuse is is a joke. If only he had the ability to see they were schematically ****** and call a TO or audible before the play.

You are 100 percent wrong on the play. Kyler was the last guy to blame on the play. His last gasp chuck it attempt was a smart play, if not the best throw, and the INT wasn't the worst outcome.

His postgame comments on it aren't great.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score

Maybe there was another high school play Kyler could’ve audibled to that LAC easily could’ve sniffed out.

schutd

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
You are 100 percent wrong on the play. Kyler was the last guy to blame on the play. His last gasp chuck it attempt was a smart play, if not the best throw, and the INT wasn't the worst outcome.

His postgame comments on it aren't great.

I tend to agree with Brit here. The QB, with any ability to see the defense was ready to collapse the hell out of that play, in that scenario, your own 30, with a lead, all that, BAIL OUT! Worst case scenario, call TO.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I tend to agree with Brit here. The QB, with any ability to see the defense was ready to collapse the hell out of that play, in that scenario, your own 30, with a lead, all that, BAIL OUT! Worst case scenario, call TO.

Exactly. Kyler isn't a rookie, he's in year 4. He has 100% control over what happens on the field.

Kliff is giving the play call before he sees what the defense are doing. It's then up to Kyler to decide if the defense are showing him a look that will work and change the play or call TO.

This is a $255m quarterback and this is what we get? Bad reads, under throw passes and blame shifting?

This loss wasn't even on Kyler but his crappy attitude has made it feel that way.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
Here’s a breakdown -
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Almost like the QB should recognize that pre-snap and change the play...

EDIT: Just saw others stated the same thing. I hated the decision to go for it, but it's on the QB to determine if the defense has it sniffed out pre-snap. He has the ability to call a timeout. That is what managing a game looks like. You don't just run into a brick wall because you coach called a play to do so.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
Almost like the QB should recognize that pre-snap and change the play...

EDIT: Just saw others stated the same thing. I hated the decision to go for it, but it's on the QB to determine if the defense has it sniffed out pre-snap. He has the ability to call a timeout. That is what managing a game looks like. You don't just run into a brick wall because you coach called a play to do so.
The play fell apart after the snap, due to individual errors and a change in situation. There was no way he could sniff that out pre-snap. They were post-snap problems, so I'd say that's a little late to call a TO.

Listen, I can't stand how KM has regressed this season, and have hammered him as hard as anyone on this board not named Brit. This one just isn't on him.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
The play fell apart after the snap, due to individual errors and a change in situation. There was no way he could sniff that out pre-snap. They were post-snap problems, so I'd say that's a little late to call a TO.

Listen, I can't stand how KM has regressed this season, and have hammered him as hard as anyone on this board not named Brit. This one just isn't on him.
Agree that the play should have been a punt.

I took his comments as he knew pre-snap that the play did not have a chance schematically. If your assertion is what me meant, he still made a bad throw to Hop which is on him.

I don't put this game all on Kyler or Kliff or anyone. It takes multiple people and a special culture to lose games in this manner. I just keep waiting for someone to consistently be part of the solution and am frustrated that no one is.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
So, what’s the point of having a coach then? What’s the point of having Kliff if the QB has to audible every play? Is he there just to cheerlead?
I feel like this is a bit rhetorical since I feel like you know this but the play call is made based upon the game to that point and the prep that week. The other team knows this as well so they are going to call a defense to try to stop what they believe the offense is going to do. The QB pre-snap is a huge way to see if the opposing team snuffed it out and then gives the offense an opportunity to counter that. It's a similar advantage as pre-snap motion.

It is a little dramatic to say that Kyler needs to audible every play. He doesn't. But, in key situations, it is absolutely a tool that Kyler needs to use more.

Also, for those who complain that our offense is predictable, it is tough to both implement new things on offense when you are having to also simply the scheme for your QB. From an offensive scheme standpoint, our offense is stagnant and simple in a large part due to Kyler. Kliff's inability to coach Kyler up to be able to grow the scheme is on Kliff.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
The fact that this elementary play was the first option out of Kliff’s mouth considering the situation is the biggest transgression. A two read play one of which was to Trey freaking McBride on 4th and 1 from our own 35 with a lead in second quarter. That’s a fireable offense.

LAC knew exactly what was coming and blew it up after the snap along with our players crapping the bed. Total clown show.

BritCard

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The problem with this particular snark is that there was a different QB the last two games and we had similar situations

Colt completed more passes over 10 and 20 at a higher completion rate in the Rams game than any game Kyler played this season. The Niners game not so much.

Mainstreet

Cruisin' Mainstreet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's not a win for Kyler, but shows the play wasn't his fault. Nor was the idiotic choice to go for it in the first place. Nor was the idea not to run a simple play to go for it after the idiotic choice.

I did not like that play call one bit. I would have preferred an option play or commit to run it to get the yard.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sarahmoose