Cards working out TE's and RB's

Discussion in 'Arizona Cardinals' started by Proximo, Sep 17, 2019.

1. juza76

juza76 Registered

Yes I know
    The article was from last year as soon as he got the new contract and the terms of it
    Basically for the first three years he get everything guaranteed
    No chance to trade or releasing him

It was a horrible contract made by Keim, same as he did for pugh

2. Russ Smith

Russ Smith The Original Whizzinator Contributor

Was going to say what happened to that guy looked like a mini Marshawn and then disappeared.

3. cardpa

cardpa I'm all right

Not true, you forget we have Steve Keim as our GM. Let me allow into evidence one Sam Bradford contract.

4. Russ Smith

Russ Smith The Original Whizzinator Contributor

CJ Anderson is intriguing as a runner but not sure he fits out offense because I don't think he's much of a pass receiver. That said, i googled it, in 2017 his best year PFF(your mileage may vary of course) rated him the 2nd best pass blocking RB in the entire NFL.

now in a pass happy offense I'm not sure you pick your RB on can he block not can he be a receiving threat, but given that we don't appear to get any blocking out of DJ might be intriguing.

CJ runs VERY hard, good solid player would be intriguing.

That said I have to assume there's a reason he keeps getting cut. Denver nearly cut him after his best season ever, they held him then cut him the next year. The Rams let him go after he saved their bacon in the postseason, and now Detroit cuts him. I have to assume he either is not a guy content in not being the starter, or he has some other personality issue?

Didn't hear anything like that when he was at Cal but that's 7 years ago

BullheadCardFan likes this.
  5. PitchShifter

PitchShifter The other Big Red

Is it Keim or salary cap experts like the now-departed Mike Disner that are the blame for the actual contract numbers?

Disner apparently worked on contract extensions for key players. Does Keim give him the basic numbers & tell the Disners of the world to figure it out within the cap?

gimpy likes this.
  6. BigRedRage

BigRedRage Reckless Contributor

prefer him to blast the team?

daves and wa52lz like this.
  7. Chopper0080

Chopper0080 Skeptical

The more people you have to block, the more people the defense brings. Also, the more cluttered the box is, the harder it is for the QB to identify who is coming on blitzes. There is a reason the smart coaches in the league like to spread defenses out. Also, some of it is on Kyler to develop that feel and make a free rusher, or a defender who beats his man, miss.

daves and b8rtm8nn like this.
  8. Chopper0080

Chopper0080 Skeptical

Some ideas to start considering...

1-two RBs or more usage of TEs give us increased size in our personnel sets. That could be what is driving this move.

2-Crabtree doesn't bring much speed or physicality and so the ability to flex DJ out wide and have a RB in the backfield who can pass protect potentially provides better matchups and minimizes DJ flaws for defenses to exploit.

daves, Cardiac and b8rtm8nn like this.
  9. slanidrac16

slanidrac16 Registered User Contributor

I get it. But as we’ve seen the TE can be used as a weapon. I’m not suggesting changing or offensive philosophy because we are moving the ball.

10. Cards_Campos

Cards_Campos Registered

Ok. DJ had 140+ yards of total.offense in first game and had a nice WR catch for TD. There are many teams who have struggled against Baltimore running the ball. Lets overreact a little. The offense isnt very favorable for running backs running the ball when they dont use Kyler as an option. Lets get a little more data on DJ this year before we assume he is toast. Lets remember all the great backs we drafted in 90s and 2000s who left us after we let them go .....Hearst and Jones.

11. bojack

bojack Registered

I don't think DJ is toast, he is versatile by having the run and pass ability. The problem is on the run side he needs big gaps to gain meaningful yardage. Put another quality back behind our line and I think they gain more yards. I think our line is not helping in the run game, but then again we are running 10 personnel so much that we haven't even tried to establish a power run.

12. TheCardFan

TheCardFan Things have changed.

Why do we need TE's when we aren't using TE's?

13. Cards_Campos

Cards_Campos Registered

remember. Backs look better when your offense is explosive. More options make it hard to stop a RB. Conner did well last year in Pitt. Leveon is struggling at New York. With Drew Brees down...Kamara will struggle because they can contain him. Barry Sanders is the only back who can really create on his own no matter what. Everyone says Emmitt was great. Put Barry Sanders behind Dallas's line back then and he would have had 200 yards a game. Put DJ on the Payriots and he would be a absolute star

wa52lz likes this.
  14. GatorAZ

GatorAZ Formerly known as GatorHater

Don’t leave out Sweetness.

gimpy likes this.
  15. Proximo

Proximo Registered

Probably because the plan is to start using more tight ends - hopefully in the red zone in particular.