Cards with $20.5m in cap room as of 3/13/17

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Minus Dansby and rookie pool.

You're probably right but why the hell wouldn't Dansby's money already be included in that if that's being reported today he was signed last week?

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You're probably right but why the hell wouldn't Dansby's money already be included in that if that's being reported today he was signed last week?
just going off of Somers or Jurecki tweeted it

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
They need to sign a decent #2 CB to play opposite of PP. To me that should be the top priority.

Reactions: PJ1

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cards are holding back a big WOW deal. Book it.

Look for the Cardinals to grab a hand full of Mid level and/or depth players to fill out their roster. Maybe a few 1 year prove it deals.

I don't see any big contracts being handed out anytime soon from the Cardinals.

I think it is clear the Cardinals plan to continue to build through the draft.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jared Odrick DE was a cap casualty in Jacksonville. He was injured and placed on IR halfway through the season last year. I would love to see the Cardinals bring him in on a One Year Prove It deal. He is a two-dimensional DE who at 6'5" 298lbs can play anywhere on the DL. Plus he wouldn't count against the Compensation Pick formula since he was cut.

Davon House CB. Another veteran that the Jags cut after giving him a monster deal. Adding a Veteran to play opposite of PP is a must. House has the length that the Cardinals look for in DBs and is just entering his prime. House would give the Cardinals an option to compete with Bethel and any other young DBs that they may draft.

Those two signing would make me happy and would still leave some money to add a few additional depth players.

Chopper0080

2021 - Prove It
Reaction score
I have long thought Odrick would fit well in our 3-4 as a DE. I would be happy if the Cards gave him a look. Tim Lelito is another guy who would be a nice add.

BillsCarnage

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
By the sounds of this thread I think there's a lot of people in for big disappointment
Probably. Don't teams usually keep ~$5mill for signings during the season? And, the rookie pool might be around $7mil, so that would be $6-8mil left depending on if Dansby is included.

Cards Czar

The Bird is the Word
Reaction score
Probably. Don't teams usually keep ~$5mill for signings during the season? And, the rookie pool might be around $7mil, so that would be $6-8mil left depending on if Dansby is included.

Thats a misconception on the 7 Mil for Rookies. The Cardinals Rookie cap is 6.84Mil, http://overthecap.com/draft you have to take in that the lowest players will be replaced by the rookies. So that means those players salaries will be deducted from the 6.84.

Go here http://overthecap.com/salary-cap/arizona-cardinals and look at the end of the 51 cutoff add up the 8 bottom players subtract that from 6.84M and you get a ruff estimate on the cost.

6.84M minus 4.36 and you get about 2.5M the actual cost of the rookies.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Per Mike Jurecki:

#AZCardinals are around $18M under the cap, rookie pool for eight players $6.7M, all of them won’t count against the cap, only top 51 salaries count… IR players $2.5M to 3M.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If I'm BASK the FA focus is on CB, OG, DE and maybe FS. I might make OG as the top priority since it's a weak Oline draft and deep at DB's.

Since we won't be spending much more in FA who is up for an extension to use up some of the CAP space? On offense.....by the CBA too soon for both DJ's and Hump really hasn't earned that yet. Smokey should be allowed but the sickle cell trait needs to be managed far better than in 2016. Veldheer is an option but we need to know he can play RT effectively. I think Iupati will finish his current contract and them be gone.

On Defense I can't think of anyone who is eligible and worthy except maybe Bucannon.

All this begs the question, what's the plan SK??????

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I'm BASK the FA focus is on CB, OG, DE and maybe FS. I might make OG as the top priority since it's a weak Oline draft and deep at DB's.

Since we won't be spending much more in FA who is up for an extension to use up some of the CAP space? On offense.....by the CBA too soon for both DJ's and Hump really hasn't earned that yet. Smokey should be allowed but the sickle cell trait needs to be managed far better than in 2016. Veldheer is an option but we need to know he can play RT effectively. I think Iupati will finish his current contract and them be gone.

On Defense I can't think of anyone who is eligible and worthy except maybe Bucannon.

All this begs the question, what's the plan SK??????

agreed. If we've got that much scratch... with pretty slim pickings left on the FA market and not many guys even up for extensions yet (if that's the case with DJ and Humphries), it makes me question why we couldn't keep Calais.

Cardiac

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
agreed. If we've got that much scratch... with pretty slim pickings left on the FA market and not many guys even up for extensions yet (if that's the case with DJ and Humphries), it makes me question why we couldn't keep Calais.

SK has said he would rather lose a player a year too early than two years too late. I think CC has 3 to 4 more years in him so I agree with you, why didn't we re-sign him?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
SK has said he would rather lose a player a year too early than two years too late. I think CC has 3 to 4 more years in him so I agree with you, why didn't we re-sign him?

yeah... I know what Keim has said, but he keeps signing guys two years too late (Bethea/Dansby), while letting guys go two years too early (Dansby the first time and I believe Calais this year).

I'm not even so cheesed off about Calais/Jefferson/Swearinger... I'm more confused that we've literally just done almost nothing but signed the AARP squad, while we had a decent amount of cap room (and that's cap room without even trying to create much more, which I believe they could have cutting a couple guys, like Bethel who we absolutely should not be counting on to live up to his salary).

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jdndndn