Cards Welcome First-Round Picks

az643dp

"The Tugboat"
Reaction score
http://www.azcardinals.com/press/pressdetails.php?sid=1192

Cards Welcome First-Round Picks

The Arizona Cardinals welcomed their new first-round draft picks Bryant Johnson and Calvin Pace at the facility on Monday, April 28.

Vice President-Football Operations Rod Graves opened up the press conference with a few remarks on the draft and his pride in the Cardinals 2003 draft class.

“I am very proud that they will be recognizing our organization as our number one draft picks for the 2003 NFL Draft,” stated Graves. “We’ve concentrated all throughout this year on not only finding fine football players, but people of character. I believe you’ll find that represented not only in these two young men, but the other members that will be representing on the field during mini-camp.”

“With the addition of Bryant Johnson and Calvin Pace, this is another step in where we are wanting to go,” added Head Coach Dave McGinnis. “A football player that you bring into your organization, especially as your number on pick, is much more than statistics. He is a representation of what you are, who you are -- both on the football field and off the field. I told these two guys today that they were not only chosen because of their athletic ability, their character and the way they’ve conducted themselves, but that they would be surrounded by those type of people in the locker room also – good quality people that can play good quality football.”

Johnson and Pace were both presented with their new Cardinals jersey and expressed their desire to get started on proving why they were chosen as first-round selections.

“I’m not worried about what has been said, I am just ready to come in and make a contribution to this team,” offered Johnson. “Not only am I anxious, but I am pretty sure that Calvin is pretty anxious too to get out there and show people that the Cardinals made a great decision on draft day.”

“These scouts have done their research and they wouldn’t have put me in this position if they didn’t feel like I had what it takes to contribute,” added Pace. “People say Wake Forest was a small school and not competitive enough but I am pretty sure we gave a good whooping to some of the Pac-10 schools and fans around here know that is a competitive conference. The only pressure I feel is to live up to the expectations I have set for myself.”

The pair will depart Phoenix Monday afternoon, but will return for mini-camp on Thursday.

“I’ll be playing on a different level now,” said Johnson. “I’m looking forward to this upcoming camp and raising every aspect of my game.”

Fans are invited to attend Fan Fest on Saturday, May 4 at the Cardinals Training Facility to watch Bryant, Johnson, and the rest of the new rookie draft class as they work on stepping up their game!

Attachments

• johnsonpacejerseys.jpg
    johnsonpacejerseys.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 144

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice article!

Man I cant wait for camp!

TrentAZCards

Veteran
Reaction score
I cant wait either, GO CARDINALS!!!

and Go PACE!!! not many people are giving this kid a chance yet, but one thing is for sure, I'll be cheering this young man on with tears in my eyes and screamin till im blue in the face. He is a Cardinal, and thats all that matters to me. LETS GET THIS SHIIIIIIIOOOOOOOOT goin!

Jim O

Reaction score
Originally posted by BEERZ
May 4th, what time...? I'll be there!!!

Beerz,

It is May 3rd...this Saturday. The gates open at 8:30am at the Cards training facility at Warner and Hardy.