Cards Sign Free Agent Guard Cameron Spikes

Jim O

Reaction score
Cards Sign Free Agent Guard Cameron Spikes
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Friday, March 28, 2003 12:22pm

Tempe, Arizona — Offensive lineman Cameron Spikes, a
four-year veteran with the St. Louis Rams (1999–2001)
and Houston Texans (2002), has signed a two-year
contract with the Arizona Cardinals.

Spikes originally was selected by the Rams in the fifth
round (145th overall) of the 1999 NFL Draft after
starting at both guard and tackle at Texas A&M. After
playing in 19 games during his three seasons with St.
Louis, the 6–2, 323-pounder was claimed by Houston via
waivers prior to the start of the 2002 season and
appeared in 12 games for the Texans, including starts
at left guard over the final five weeks of the season.

Spikes becomes the seventh free agent signed this
off-season by the Cardinals. He joins the NFL’s
all-time leading rusher Emmitt Smith (Dallas), Super
Bowl XXXVII most valuable player and safety Dexter
Jackson (Tampa Bay), quarterback Jeff Blake
(Baltimore), fullback James Hodgins (St. Louis),
linebacker James Darling (N.Y. Jets), and offensive
lineman Frank Garcia (St. Louis), a Phoenix native and
Maryvale High School graduate.

— cards —

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
The only thing I know about this dude is what's been posted on this board. But if he's as good as some people say he is, trading one of our O-linemen to move up in the draft or for a premier wide receiver is no longer out of the question.

Just for fun - Y'all want a big name receiver here. Just suppose that the Raidiz dangled AARP'er Jerry Rice and he agreed to be part of a trade. It would bring another winner into the Cardinal fold who could imbue veteran leadership to the receiver corps.

Would you do it?

For what? Would you give up Shelton? Or would you only consider a next-echelon guy like Dishman, Fina or Roundtree? What about Anthony Clement?

If Rice was considered too far over the hill, who out there would you settle for in a trade for LJ or Clement?

(Note - I'm not saying we should or shouldn't do that sort of deal. But typically, teams that want to get over the hump sometimes have to do gutsy things).

Stronso

Schweddy Balls
Reaction score
Anyone have any good info about him.......I have never heard of him and best of my knowledge he was not even on the radar screen

Mrospi

Reaction score
Don't want to trade any of our Lineman..... it's becoming a major strength on this team and would like it to be for years to come.... this signing adds more quality depth... a lesson we learned last year

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Nice signing. You can't have too much depth on the O-Line, especially in the middle.

Holliday isn't going to do much for the pass rush, but he'll help the D-line in terms of depth, and is definately an upgrade. The important thing is not to pay him like he was Jason Taylor.

Jeff - I wouldn't take anyone in exchange for Clement or LJ. Except Mike Vick. Also, I belive that Fina's an FA right now.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
"Cards sign Free Agent Guard Cameron Spikes"

Why??????

Maybe because of the Iraq situation they felt they needed to heighten security and so hired another Guard?

Ed B

The Matt Joyce of Posting
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
You can never, ever have too many competent linemen.....offensive or defensive.

This guy is big, strong, and more suited to run blocking than pass blocking. Sort of a younger Dishman.

MadCardDisease

Supporting Member
Reaction score
With this signing I don't see the Cards drafting an Offensive Lineman until the second day of the draft.

CardinalChris

Big Man Himself
Reaction score
Yeah.. one position we WON'T be drafting is O-Line. I see defense heavy and WR in the middle rounds. I like this signing.

Ed B

The Matt Joyce of Posting
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Originally posted by MadCardDisease
With this signing I don't see the Cards drafting an Offensive Lineman until the second day of the draft.

Don't be so sure we won't take a dominant center in 2 or 3 if available. Starkey is barely adequate and Garcia is no all star.

SECTION 11

vibraslap
Reaction score
Originally posted by Ed B
Don't be so sure we won't take a dominant center in 2 or 3 if available. Starkey is barely adequate and Garcia is no all star.

I like that idea. If Faine is there at 37 I'd take him. I don't think he will, but maybe. I can see that panning out as well as the Davis pick.
The lines can never be strong enough.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Spikes played three years at OT in college. I think he and Roundtree can play both OT and *. This sure gives us a lot more versatility to cover ourselves if we get hit with injuries on the o-line again. The past few years we've heavily relied on Dishman and UDFA's as our backups until we signed Fina and Roundtree after game 1 last year.

I don't see us drafting a C, but who knows, there is some logic to it.

ChiCard

Registered
Reaction score
Originally posted by SECTION 11
I like that idea. If Faine is there at 37 I'd take him. I don't think he will, but maybe. I can see that panning out as well as the Davis pick.
The lines can never be strong enough.

Couldn't agree more. A Center at that spot in the draft would be icing on the cake.