Cardinals | Will give Horton a second interview

azsouthendzone

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
All great points, but you can argue that like Whisenhunt, Reid got too much power after Heckert left.

The Castillo move was incredibly stupid, you won't get an argument here, but even if Horton leaves the Cards have a couple of guys who are more than capable to step up as DC, whether it be Cioffi or Townsend.

A strong GM could fix some of these issues and lets be honest PHL was not shy about being active players in FA and I love that. Sure they might not have all worked out, but they tried. Namdi, Asante Samuel, being aggressive to get DRC I'd take any of those moves over the stuff were accustomed to as Arizona fans like signing Joey Porter or Adam Snyder or giving away a 2nd round pick and DRC for Kolb.

Boom! My thoughts exactly.

O

LD @ F.O.H.
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I just think you are simplifying it and taking two years of Reid's career and placing them in front of the other 12. Any hire is a risk. I make the hire that gets the offense moving. I am not sure how Horton can accomplish that. Maybe Todd Haley as OC? i would love to hear Ray's plan for that side of the ball. We will see soon enough.

Well, I used to be good looking and got laid a lot, over the last couple of years? Not so much!

Everyone wonders what staff Horton would bring in.
What about the staff Reid would bring in?

All in all good argument brother.
I personally think Reid is done and is trying to leverage the Cardinals for a job.
I also think coaches like Horton are the future.

I would gamble on Horton!

binkar

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I love Horton. I like his quest for innovation, his willingness to think outside the box, his ability to communicate with players, etc.

However, I don't see how promoting Horton to HC makes our offense better. Granted, he could attract a solid offensive staff that can get our team where it needs to be, but that's still not clear. I just feel like making Reid the HC, with the staff he could assemble, would likely lead to great improvements on offense.

That offense was just miserable to watch and we need dramatic help there. I think our defense is so full of talent that they will still play at a high level even under the unfortunate event that Horton doesn't stay.

I'm also not confident Horton gets a HC job this year. I know he's interviewing a number of places, but there are a number of candidates in each place and I think it's 50/50 at best he gets a job.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I personally don't think the two compare, except for the possible internal bump.

I agree. McGinnis defenses while he was DC were consistently bottom of the NFL, bottom 5 in either points or yards or both every year DM was involved except for 1998.

Horton's defense finished 2012 with the 5th best pass defense in the NFL and are the first defenses to finish better than 20th overall two years in a row since '93-'94.

binkar

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I personally think Reid is done and is trying to leverage the Cardinals for a job.
I also think coaches like Horton are the future.

I would gamble on Horton!

Why does everyone keep acting like Andy Reid is a fossil that's 80 years old? The guy is 54. He's only 2 years older than Horton, younger than Jeff Fisher, 7 years younger than Pete Carroll, same age as Marvin Lewis, 3 years younger than John Fox, 6 years younger than Belichick, 12 years younger than Tom Coughlin, and 6 years younger than Shanahan.

The guy is known for being an absolute football feind. He's owed $6 million from the Eagles this year and still has no desire to sit out the year. He want's to coach. What makes anyone think that this guy would want to come to Arizona to ride off into the sunset, or is leveraging us for a job?

Some how it's become a negative that the guy had a long successful tenure with another team because that automatically makes him Dennis Green 2.0.

Nearly every head coach that has ever walked the NFL sidelines has had poor seasons. Bill Walsh, Bill Belichick, Bill Parcells, Chuck Noll, George Halas, Tom Landry, Don Shula etc.

Goldfield

Formally known as BEERZ
Reaction score
Why does everyone keep acting like Andy Reid is a fossil that's 80 years old? The guy is 54. He's only 2 years older than Horton, younger than Jeff Fisher, 7 years younger than Pete Carroll, same age as Marvin Lewis, 3 years younger than John Fox, 6 years younger than Belichick, 12 years younger than Tom Coughlin, and 6 years younger than Shanahan.

The guy is known for being an absolute football feind. He's owed $6 million from the Eagles this year and still has no desire to sit out the year. He want's to coach. What makes anyone think that this guy would want to come to Arizona to ride off into the sunset, or is leveraging us for a job?

Some how it's become a negative that the guy had a long successful tenure with another team because that automatically makes him Dennis Green 2.0.

Nearly every head coach that has ever walked the NFL sidelines has had poor seasons. Bill Walsh, Bill Belichick, Bill Parcells, Chuck Noll, George Halas, Tom Landry, Don Shula etc.
very good points.

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I personally don't think the two compare, except for the possible internal bump.

I think Denny Green and Andy Reid are also an apple to oranges comparison. You give no reasons that Green is like Reid. I think it's a bad move to promote a coordinator from a bad team because they are already embedded in the losing culture.. I can't think of one example where that worked. If you can give me some, maybe I can warm to Horton over Reid.

52brandon

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

not saying it's one or the other with Reid. But people lose their skills at different rates. He MAY have simply lost it. Promoting an O-line coordinator to Defensive Coordinator is asinine. Sure brings into question his decision making abilities IMO. Whiz took the Cards to the Superbowl, but I believe he lost his talent here. A stand-out move he made in my eyes was having a WR coach as our QB coach while a QB coach was our WR coach. I didn't see any new player at either position make any substantial improvement, and it seemed Skelton went from "good enough to not lose" to downright awful over this season. Maybe it was the injury, I dunno, but as a guy that never really cared for him, I admit, I thought he looked like a real starting QB in the 1st half vs SEA. He never returned to that form
I think Denny Green and Andy Reid are also an apple to oranges comparison. You give no reasons that Green is like Reid. I think it's a bad move to promote a coordinator from a bad team because they are already embedded in the losing culture.. I can't think of one example where that worked. If you can give me some, maybe I can warm to Horton over Reid.
a guy who's name was fantasized over throughout the regular season (when we sucked, not when we were winning). Marty Schottenheimer took over as the Browns HC from DC during the 1984 season where they amassed a 5-11 record (amazingly similar to our situation at the moment IMO). He immediately won the division the next 3 years, and got a WC birth in his last year there. Didn't get a ring or anything, but I would call that a successful transition. More consecutive playoff berths than the Cards in my lifetime. And it began the very first year

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score

Reid did way more in Phil than Fisher did in Tenn...and Fisher didn't exactly light the world ob fire his last few years, there...heck, even Fox blew chunks in Car before he left, but many on this board wanted Whis replaced last year with one of those 2 coaches.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

sportznutt

Canadian Card
Reaction score
A source with knowledge of the situation tells Profootballtalk the Cardinals will conduct a second head-coaching interview with DC Ray Horton on Wednesday.

Horton's initial interview apparently took place on Monday. Horton also interviewed with the Browns on Tuesday, and is expected to meet with the Bills on Wednesday. Although Andy Reid appears to be the favorite in Arizona, a second interview is a sign Horton is a serious candidate.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/2033/cardinals-defense

JeffGollin

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
If true, the second interview of Horton could be Michael B's way of signalling Horton (& the media and other teams) that there's genuine interest and he didn't get interviewed the first time solely to comply with the Rooney Rule.

Dr. Jones

Has No Time For Love
Reaction score
Bidwill is doing the right thing. He and his team were one of the only positives during the last few months. He has earned this consideration. I just don't think his skills line up with what our entire team needs at this time.

D-Dogg

A Whole New World
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Great post. Also, interesting on the money owed - the Cards could end up washing on the salary in the first year from Whis if he gets a job and they hire Reid.

I'm all for a guy who is still young, has a lot of success under his belt moving on to coach his second team after a 14 year stint in a tough conference. That his offensive system best suits our players in the first place? Even better.

52brandon

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Bidwill is doing the right thing. He and his team were one of the only positives during the last few months. He has earned this consideration. I just don't think his skills line up with what our entire team needs at this time.

He does obviously lack HC experience. But the players know him and respect him. Plus it will make the D transition easy. And an offensive complete makeover is desperately needed regardless

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Juan Casitillo, explain?
Dream team, explain?
Lots of FA's came to Philly. How did that work out recently?
In my opinion Reid epitomizes the past, DG, Horton the future of football.

the Juan Castillo thing is what scares me the most about Reid. I mean... that move just made no sense whatsoever.

I mean... can you imagine how people on this board would have reacted if two years ago, Wiz suddenly decided to promote Russ Grimm from O-line Coach to Defensive Coordinator? This place would have blown up like Hiroshima.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
the Juan Castillo thing is what scares me the most about Reid. I mean... that move just made no sense whatsoever.

I mean... can you imagine how people on this board would have reacted if two years ago, Wiz suddenly decided to promote Russ Grimm from O-line Coach to Defensive Coordinator? This place would have blown up like Hiroshima.

It didn't make sense, but it kind of worked. There was no replacing Jim Johnson, but PHI's defense ended up 11th in DVOA in 2011, 10th in points allowed. The Eagles missed the playoffs because they were pretty unlucky: 3-5 in games decided by a TD or less, including a home game against us.

Even this year, before Castillo got blown out before the bye week, the Eagles D was only giving up 19.8 PPG. That would've been good enough to be Top 10 had it held through their schedule.

Castillo kind of got scapegoated.

The biggest issue with Reid is that his decision-making under pressure is just baffling. Whether it's in-game decisions or deciding to go right back to work after his son died, it's mystifying.

MaoTosiFanClub

The problem
Reaction score
Jeff Fisher I believe. I also think Marty Schottenheimer was an interim at one point before assuming the Cleveland job. Neither guy won a ring but I think we'd be happy with their success here.

I think the thing is Horton has only been here for a couple years, it's not like he was Whiz's right hand man. Personally I can be sold on either Reid or Horton assuming there's an NFL QB on our roster next year.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joseph Garrison