Cardinals | Will give Horton a second interview

CtCardinals78

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Awesome this is also great news. Either Horton or Reid will be great for the Cards. I can't wait for the draft! This offseason is going to be a blast.

WildBB

Yogi n da Bear
Reaction score
:grabs: Here we go.

Dude is gonna be a HC somewhere.

Key with him is who can you get to run things on the other side of the ball.

They'd have to have a real good sense of who that would be.

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
I'd still love to land Reid and promote Horton to Asst HC with full authority over the defense. Reid isn't tied to a DC, so if Horton doesn't get a HC gig I could see it happen.

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
I think Mikey is trying to work it where he has Reid and Horton in the building at the same time. Leverage city and or a meeting of the minds.

I still don't see Horton leaving, or landing HC jobs over the other more experienced candidates. Mikey definitely wants to stay in Horton's ear, and I'm sure Mikey has told him we'd love to keep him here.

If Mikey can manage to keep Horton and his defensive staff while dropping Whizco and Graves, that's impressive.

Mikey is a trip, and getting down to business when negotiating seems to be clear. The no Agents allowed thing means he is only paying the person he is trying to hire, not some ******* and his what 10-15% ? That extra mill or two going straight to the next GM or HC could make his offer look a lot better to whomever is listening.

Horton will be a super hot legit comodity if he stays here another year to buff up his resume. He's got this D dialed in now, and Mikey is showing him that he is working on the offense like right now.

Last edited:

azsouthendzone

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I think Mikey is trying to work it where he has Reid and Horton in the building at the same time. Leverage city and or a meeting of the minds.

I still don't see Horton leaving, or landing HC jobs over the other more experienced candidates. Mikey definitely wants to stay in Horton's ear, and I'm sure Mikey has told him we'd love to keep him here.

If Mikey can manage to keep Horton and his defensive staff while dropping Whizco and Graves, that's impressive.

Mikey is a trip, and getting down to business when negotiating seems to be clear. The no Agents allowed thing means he is only paying the person he is trying to hire, not some ******* and his what 10-15% ? That extra mill or two going straight to the next GM or HC could make his offer look a lot better to whomever is listening.

Horton will be a super hot legit comodity if he stays here another year to buff up his resume. He's got this D dialed in now, and Mikey is showing him that he is working on the offense like right now.

Meeting of the minds......dream scenario.

Buckybird

Hoist the Lombardi Trophy
Reaction score
I still think if Horton ever gets out of Az without an offer, he will be gone. JMHO

I think Ray is the right guy for the the Cards right now.

O

LD @ F.O.H.
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Make it happen Michael!
I don't want DG part deax.

Horton know s what it takes, he prepares for offenses every week,
I have no doubt he would assemble an offensive coaching staff much like himself, young, hungry, and innovative!

Move forward, no more reguritated coaches!

PJ1

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I thought we were interviewing Reid tomorrow? Also thought Horton interviewed today.

Why would you have to interview one of your own twice? Does this then count as two minority interviews? :bang:

I need to stop reading all of this stuff.

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Here's question yall might be able to answer for me. How many of the currently coachless teams run a 3-4 defense? Wouldn't they be the ones serious about Ray Horton?

RON_IN_OC

https://www.ronevansrealty.com
Reaction score
Make it happen Michael!
I don't want DG part deax.

Horton know s what it takes, he prepares for offenses every week,
I have no doubt he would assemble an offensive coaching staff much like himself, young, hungry, and innovative!

Move forward, no more reguritated coaches!

Hahahaha...Horton is only 2 years younger than Reid.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

O

LD @ F.O.H.
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Hahahaha...Horton is only 2 years younger than Reid.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

His theories are much more inovative!

Remember this past year Reid thought his Offensive Line coach would make a good DC
How did that work out?
DG nepotism part deax!

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
Here's question yall might be able to answer for me. How many of the currently coachless teams run a 3-4 defense? Wouldn't they be the ones serious about Ray Horton?

Off the top of my head - Chicago, Cleveland, and KC run a 3-4? I think if you find the right guy to run your team, you go ahead and change your schemes as necessary. Buffalo just invested big money in a few guys who don't really fit the scheme though, so that one still has me scratching my head a bit re: Horton.

desertdawg

ASFN Icon
BANNED BY MODERATORS
Reaction score
Off the top of my head - Chicago, Cleveland, and KC run a 3-4? I think if you find the right guy to run your team, you go ahead and change your schemes as necessary. Buffalo just invested big money in a few guys who don't really fit the scheme though, so that one still has me scratching my head a bit re: Horton.
Danka danka. :thumbup:

CtCardinals78

ASFN Addict
Reaction score

I thought Chicago ran a 4-3 Cover 2?

Cleveland and KC are 3-4 though. Horton interviewed with CLE and ARZ today and will interview with BUF tomorrow according to reports.

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
I thought Chicago ran a 4-3 Cover 2?

Cleveland and KC are 3-4 though. Horton interviewed with CLE and ARZ today and will interview with BUF tomorrow according to reports.

Crud, you are right -- I dunno where Chicago came from in my head! In fact, Mark Anderson (former Bear) was one of the guys that the Bills invested in that I alluded to in my original post.

azsouthendzone

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
His theories are much more inovative!

Remember this past year Reid thought his Offensive Line coach would make a good DC
How did that work out?
DG nepotism part deax!

His ability or lack of to address the offense will make or break him. His "theories" could be put into place by a assistant on his staff. Not trying to belittle what he has accomplished but I am not sure that rolling the dice on an unproven coach is what this franchise can afford right now. The Dennis Green comparisons are understandable but kind of ridiculous. That would be like calling Mike McCoy Whiz part deux. Everyone is different.

CtCardinals78

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Horton with second interview tomorrow and Reid now being mentioned for an interview tomorrow. How awesome would it be if Horton is named assistant HC with a substantial raise with complete autonomy with the D and Reid is brought in as HC and is responsible for the O while the GM will be responsible for picking personnel?

Or make Horton HC with Reid assistant HC and OC with complete autonomy for the O?

A guy can dream...

gmabel830

It's football season!!
Reaction score
Horton with second interview tomorrow and Reid now being mentioned for an interview tomorrow. How awesome would it be if Horton is named assistant HC with a substantial raise with complete autonomy with the D and Reid is brought in as HC and is responsible for the O while the GM will be responsible for picking personnel?

Or make Horton HC with Reid assistant HC and OC with complete autonomy for the O?

A guy can dream...

I think your first scenario is entirely possible.. your second one, not so much.

O

LD @ F.O.H.
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
His ability or lack of to address the offense will make or break him. His "theories" could be put into place by a assistant on his staff. Not trying to belittle what he has accomplished but I am not sure that rolling the dice on an unproven coach is what this franchise can afford right now. The Dennis Green comparisons are understandable but kind of ridiculous. That would be like calling Mike McCoy Whiz part deux. Everyone is different.

Whiz had no experience as a head coach either, i.e., unproven!

NEXT!

azsouthendzone

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Whiz had no experience as a head coach either, i.e., unproven!

NEXT!

Whiz was GARBAGE. Wiz did inherit the #1 passing offense in the NFL and a team stacked with talent and systematically ran it into the ground but there is only one Whiz. You say Reid is Denny pt 2 with no explanation. Is it because he was successful elsewhere but was ultimately fired? That's like me saying that he is Belichick pt 2 or Shanahan or Fisher, but the reality is he is Andy Reid and Ray Horton is Ray Horton. The comparisons are silly. Best scenario is Reid as HC and Horton as DC. Either hire puts the Cards in a better place than they were a week ago but IMO one of them has the proven track record and the ability to put together a legit staff and attract free agents. Sorry I don't see any offensive FAs coming here to play for Horton or coaches clamoring to be a part of this mess. I could be wrong.

Do I have to follow that up with NEXT! now?

O

LD @ F.O.H.
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Whiz was GARBAGE. Wiz did inherit the #1 passing offense in the NFL and a team stacked with talent and systematically ran it into the ground but there is only one Whiz. You say Reid is Denny pt 2 with no explanation. Is it because he was successful elsewhere but was ultimately fired? That's like me saying that he is Belichick pt 2 or Shanahan or Fisher, but the reality is he is Andy Reid and Ray Horton is Ray Horton. The comparisons are silly. Best scenario is Reid as HC and Horton as DC. Either hire puts the Cards in a better place than they were a week ago but IMO one of them has the proven track record and the ability to put together a legit staff and attract free agents. Sorry I don't see any offensive FAs coming here to play for Horton or coaches clamoring to be a part of this mess. I could be wrong.

Do I have to follow that up with NEXT! now?

Juan Casitillo, explain?
Dream team, explain?
Lots of FA's came to Philly. How did that work out recently?
In my opinion Reid epitomizes the past, DG, Horton the future of football.

CtCardinals78

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Juan Casitillo, explain?
Dream team, explain?

All great points, but you can argue that like Whisenhunt, Reid got too much power after Heckert left.

The Castillo move was incredibly stupid, you won't get an argument here, but even if Horton leaves the Cards have a couple of guys who are more than capable to step up as DC, whether it be Cioffi or Townsend.

A strong GM could fix some of these issues and lets be honest PHL was not shy about being active players in FA and I love that. Sure they might not have all worked out, but they tried. Namdi, Asante Samuel, being aggressive to get DRC I'd take any of those moves over the stuff were accustomed to as Arizona fans like signing Joey Porter or Adam Snyder or giving away a 2nd round pick and DRC for Kolb.

azsouthendzone

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
Juan Casitillo, explain?
Dream team, explain?

9 playoff appearances in 14 years in the NFC East......
The fact you can lure the FAs to earn the Dream Team label,.......

I get what you are saying, I just think you are simplifying it and taking two years of Reid's career and placing them in front of the other 12. Any hire is a risk. I make the hire that gets the offense moving. I am not sure how Horton can accomplish that. Maybe Todd Haley as OC? i would love to hear Ray's plan for that side of the ball. We will see soon enough.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ConpiracyCard