Boldin traded to Ravens

ajcardfan

I see you.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The talk of getting a 2nd rounder for him was complete fantasy. This is the right value for a 30 year old whose body is breaking down on him.

Prediction: he has one monster season in Baltimore to "prove us wrong" and then he's finished. This happens often when veterans move on and hold grudges against their old team.

Yeah, i agree. On both points.

I would've been pissed about this trade two years, maybe even one, year ago. But, we now have 6 picks in the first four rounds of a draft that everyone is saying is the deepest in recent memory. And, 4 picks in the top 90. With the way we've drafted the past few years, I'm content with that.

Smart teams build through the draft, not free agency. We actually look like a smart team with a real plan.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Early has yet to get all the playing time so time will tell if he can be less injury prone than Boldin was. All I know is Boldin was injured often and we played well without him most of the time. While he may be missed a little I don't think him not being here is the difference between us winning and losing.

Until the last eight games of the season, Early's been injured constantly during his two-year Cardinal career. I like Early's promise and have no problem with replacing a very good slot receiver in Boldin (and that's what he is now) with a promising slot receiver in Doucet--especially when I think we'll be looking at MUCH fewer 3WR sets in the next couple seasons.

That said, Early Doucet has made Anquan Boldin look like Brett Favre.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
One thing I have been thinking the past couple days is that the Cardinals are going to draft a QB in rounds 2 or 3.

If only to do what they did with drafting Rashad Johnson when we didn't expect a safety or Calais Campbell when Antonio Smith was getting ready to leave. Buying leverege for a (potential) pending roster departure. Leinart qualifies with his bonus next year.

With this trade it confirms it for me. Start looking at QB's for most likely in the third.

I am calling my shot - Colt McCoy will be a Cardinal.

Last edited:

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
One thing I have been thinking the past couple days is that the Cardinals are going to draft a QB in rounds 2 or 3.

If only to do what they did with drafting Rashad Johnson when we didn't expect a safety or Calais Campbell when Antonio Smith was getting ready to leave. Buying leverege for a (potential) pending roster departure with Leinart and his bonus next year.

With this trade it confirms it for me. Start looking at QB's for most likely in the third.

I am calling my shot - Colt McCoy will be a Cardinal.

:barf: Unless Whis is going to get fired and we're installing a West Coast offense, I don't really see this happening. For my money, Colt McCoy is going to the Cleveland Browns.

Now, if you think that Jarrett Brown or Tim Tebow are going to be Arizona Cardinals, I think you might be right. Both would be good value in the 3rd.

But, honestly, I kind of expect the Cards to trade one or both of those picks to move up in the 2nd round (maybe the first) and get an NT or ILB (if Dansby leaves, which I'm actually starting to get bearish about).

Last edited:

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
The talk of getting a 2nd rounder for him was complete fantasy. This is the right value for a 30 year old whose body is breaking down on him.

Prediction: he has one monster season in Baltimore to "prove us wrong" and then he's finished. This happens often when veterans move on and hold grudges against their old team.

Yeah, i agree. On both points.

I would've been pissed about this trade two years, maybe even one, year ago. But, we now have 6 picks in the first four rounds of a draft that everyone is saying is the deepest in recent memory. And, 4 picks in the top 90. With the way we've drafted the past few years, I'm content with that.

Smart teams build through the draft, not free agency. We actually look like a smart team with a real plan.

Great Points.

sportznutt

Canadian Card
Reaction score
I've read different reports, some where we don't give up a pick.......

and he signed a 3 year etxtension, meaning 4 years, $28 million from now.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
:barf: Unless Whis is going to get fired and we're installing a West Coast offense, I don't really see this happening. For my money, Colt McCoy is going to the Cleveland Browns.

Now, if you think that Jevan Snead or Tim Tebow are going to be Arizona Cardinals, I think you might be right. Both would be good value in the 3rd.

But, honestly, I kind of expect the Cards to trade one or both of those picks to move up in the 2nd round (maybe the first) and get an NT or ILB (if Dansby leaves, which I'm actually starting to get bearish about).

I'm not really a big fan of McCoy's pro prospects either but I was thinking Wiz would like a winner who can throw accurately and move.

But now that you mention I could now DEFINITELY see Tebow in the 3rd.

Cards232

Registered
Reaction score
Although I would have liked to have gotten more for him, I'm glad this is done. The reality is that we probably couldn't get more than we did. When things were hot & heavy last off season w/ Boldin, we didn't get any meaningful offers. Everyone in the league knew Boldin was on the block this year, & this is evidently the best we could get.

Although I love the way Boldin played, I loved his heart when he played, I didn't like who he became as a person. Under Drew's tutelage, he became a whiny diva for the better part. He was absolutely unwilling to participate in Lott's conditioning programs, thinking he knew better. Perhaps that played a big part in many of his injuries. Short & long of it, he didn't want to be here, & nothing was going to change that. IIRC, he just signed a contract that was about the same as the one he turned down from us a couple of years ago. He's only 29, so age wouldn't have made that big of a deal.

HE DIDN'T WANT TO BE HERE FOLKS. Aparently, as high as we think of Q, & more importantly, as high as he thinks of himself, nobody in the league was willing to give up more than we got, in other words, they didn't want him there too bad either.

Ultimately, Q will rue his tirades here. I can think of few places worse for him to go to w/ those bad hammy's, than Baltimore's frigid OUTDOOR stadium. You think he had injury problems here? He'll be lucky to play 7-8 games there IMO.

I wish Q the best & hope he learns. Sometimes we learn too late that when thinking the grass is greener on the other side, all one had to do was water his own lawn. The loss of Q is a shame, but at least we're done w/ the drama & can move on. Just my opinion.

Last edited:

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score

Now, if you think that Jarrett Brown or Tim Tebow are going to be Arizona Cardinals, I think you might be right. Both would be good value in the 3rd.

Oh come on K9 you know that McCoy is the closest thing to Kurt Warner to come out of college in the last 5 years.

Plays almost exclusively out of the shotgun.
Throws high % short passes to receivers who get lots of yac but can still make the deep throw on the rare occasion one of his Wrs actually gets open downfield.
Took his team to the Championship game with no running game and the most inconsistent defense in college football.

What could be more Warner than that?

:D

mjb21aztd

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
So sad to see Q go :( lol who do I see about changing my screen name.... I wish we could have got one player in return but atleast we got a few picks I guess. Just so unreal it happened this quickly guess Boldin really wanted to be gone uh. So do you guys think we will draft a wr in this year drafts now? So long Q gl in raven land

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
funny... I actually think we completely fleeced Baltimore, got rid of a potential head-ache and have multiple picks to do whatever want in the first four rounds to set up the future.

Good job Graves and Co.

and y'all call ME the darksider.

I agree with you 100%. Those multiple picks can be parlayed into fixing a defense that sorely needs help. Do we really need Boldin? Absolutely NOT. He'll miss at least 4 games next year, guaranteed & we are loaded at his position. I thank Q for all that he has done for us, but we essentially traded a 5th in 2011 for a 2nd round pick this year. Q added nothing to this team that can't be replaced by what we already have. Great trade for BOTH teams, as the Ravens sorely needed someone like Boldin.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
Oh come on K9 you know that McCoy is the closest thing to Kurt Warner to come out of college in the last 5 years.

Plays almost exclusively out of the shotgun.
Throws high % short passes to receivers who get lots of yac but can still make the deep throw on the rare occasion one of his Wrs actually gets open downfield.
Took his team to the Championship game with no running game and the most inconsistent defense in college football.

What could be more Warner than that?

:D

And I don't like Kurt Warner football. I think that with a more traditional QB we could have gotten as good or better results as what we got in 2009 from Warner. I just don't find this passing 70% of the time offense to be aesthetically pleasing.

And I should've said that I think that McCoy is going to be drafted in the second round by the Rams or the Browns. And Holmgren knows his QBs, so I'm not going to say that I think that McCoy is going to bust or anything.

But as a Cardinal fan who is going to watch 20+ of their games every season regardless of what style we play, I really really REALLY don't want to see McCoy in the uniform for what it would mean for the offense.

Stout

Hold onto the ball, Murray!
Reaction score
And I'm supposed to be a darksider!

Look, I love Q, and he'll always hold a special place in my sports memory for what he was and what he did for the Cards.

That said, I think we got a good deal here. An extra third round pick and a move-up from the 5th to the 4th...in a draft deep in defensive talent, which we desperately need. I like it.

People comparing this to the Saints trade are way, way out of line. We upgraded when we swapped picks in this deal with the Ravens. When we traded our one 1st rounder for two 1st rounders, we also gave up a 4th rounder and we also moved BACK in the 2nd round, which put in peril the drafting of Boldin. Big difference, and these trades are nothing alike.

I like what the FO did here. Another pick and a good moveup. Dig it.

kerouac9

Klowned by Keim
Reaction score
I agree with you 100%. Those multiple picks can be parlayed into fixing a defense that sorely needs help. Do we really need Boldin? Absolutely NOT. He'll miss at least 4 games next year, guaranteed & we are loaded at his position. I thank Q for all that he has done for us, but we essentially traded a 5th in 2011 for a 2nd round pick this year. Q added nothing to this team that can't be replaced by what we already have. Great trade for BOTH teams, as the Ravens sorely needed someone like Boldin.

It's a 2010 fifth-round pick.

NashDishesDimes

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
Yeah Boldins great but Cards whether lienart turns up or not he cant feed all those recievers and its obvious Breaston and Doucet can definetley carry a load. Love Q, but this was a good trade. Cards need help on D.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Early has yet to get all the playing time so time will tell if he can be less injury prone than Boldin was. All I know is Boldin was injured often and we played well without him most of the time. While he may be missed a little I don't think him not being here is the difference between us winning and losing.

i think the point K9 was trying to make is that Early has already been injury prone without even stepping on to the field, missing most of his rookie year because of injuries and parts of this season.

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
And I'm supposed to be a darksider!

Look, I love Q, and he'll always hold a special place in my sports memory for what he was and what he did for the Cards.

That said, I think we got a good deal here. An extra third round pick and a move-up from the 5th to the 4th...in a draft deep in defensive talent, which we desperately need. I like it.

People comparing this to the Saints trade are way, way out of line. We upgraded when we swapped picks in this deal with the Ravens. When we traded our one 1st rounder for two 1st rounders, we also gave up a 4th rounder and we also moved BACK in the 2nd round, which put in peril the drafting of Boldin. Big difference, and these trades are nothing alike.

I like what the FO did here. Another pick and a good moveup. Dig it.

As long as the Cards don't use the 3rd on another Buster Davis I'll be ok with it.

PACardsFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
It's a 2010 fifth-round pick.

It really doesn't change my argument. The Cardinals did the best they could & I'm pleased with the deal. I was starting to dislike Q's whiny ways. Now he can go to Baltimore because I hate them also. A perfect match for each other. There, I said it. Let the whiny bitch go.

gohard83

Registered
Reaction score
It isn't THAT bad. That are alot of sleeper WRs nowadays that you guys could draft plus Breaston has a chance to step up. I am glad Q is out of the NFC West though so now I can start cheering for him.

daytripper

All Star
Reaction score
Random thoughts from the sidelines.
Best wishes Q. IMO You were the catalyst that turned things around in AZ.
My 2 Cents says we got a fair value in trade.
I'm not sure it was wise of him to go where he is going to face Polamalu twice a year though.

gohard83

Registered
Reaction score
did you guys really turned down those 1sts and 2nds last year to take a 3rd and 4th (lose 5th) this year? there's something fishy about this trade.

BIRDGANG
Reaction score
It's bitter sweet to see Q go, I wanted him to get traded assuming he wouldn't resign but still..tough to see him go. Luckily I like the Ravens, so I'll have no problem rooting for them to come out of the AFC.

DoTheDew

Registered
Reaction score
did you guys really turned down those 1sts and 2nds last year to take a 3rd and 4th (lose 5th) this year? there's something fishy about this trade.

There was never a serious offer involving firsts last year. The best offer we know of was the Bears 2nd and 4th. Boldin being a year older and on the last year of his deal is why it dropped from a 2nd to a 3rd this year.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alaskabustergreen