Better Call Saul (AMC)

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didn't think his character was that good and to a degree somewhat implausible. How could an ambulance chasing shyster have so many underworld connections? Anyhoo, gonna skip this one and I have a feeling that it will probably do well at first but after a while Saul's act will start wearing thin on audiences. As entertaining as his character might have been, when given in small doses you can get by but an entire show surrounding the character might get old real fast. We shall see.

You'd think Vince Gilligan would have learned his lesson with the Lone Gunmen.

You must be registered for see images

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You'd think Vince Gilligan would have learned his lesson with the Lone Gunmen.

You must be registered for see images

considering how impossible it is to get anything on the air, I'm thinking Gilligan wouldn't blanche at AMC giving him another guaranteed year of TV to EP (mostly, in name only...probably) while he tries to get another series off the ground.

LVG

Supporting Member
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
I didn't think his character was that good and to a degree somewhat implausible. How could an ambulance chasing shyster have so many underworld connections? Anyhoo, gonna skip this one and I have a feeling that it will probably do well at first but after a while Saul's act will start wearing thin on audiences. As entertaining as his character might have been, when given in small doses you can get by but an entire show surrounding the character might get old real fast. We shall see.

I am hoping this is good. But I saw Rake, which seemed to try to preempt BCS, and I'm not optimistic.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just have no desire to watch this at all.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
considering how impossible it is to get anything on the air, I'm thinking Gilligan wouldn't blanche at AMC giving him another guaranteed year of TV to EP (mostly, in name only...probably) while he tries to get another series off the ground.

OK, I get what you're saying, but is there anyone on the planet that wouldn't take a meeting with Gilligan right now? I think someone might give him an entire network if he asked for it.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK, I get what you're saying, but is there anyone on the planet that wouldn't take a meeting with Gilligan right now? I think someone might give him an entire network if he asked for it.

Yeah, but why have one TV show when you have two? this thing is GUARANTEED a full season. You'd be surprised at how many super high profile guys get pilots made and still don't see the light of day...or end up on the air and get canceled relatively quickly.

Last edited:

Chaplin

Better off silent
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure I saw Bob Odenkirk at the Glendale Galleria here in LA today. Almost completely grey hair, so they do a major coloring job on him.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Better Call Saul to Premiere in 2015, Already Picked Up for a Second Season

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/tvnews.php?id=119740

There's good news and bad news today for "Breaking Bad" fans. The bad news first, the upcoming spinoff series, "Better Call Saul" has been delayed. Originally planned to premiere this November, the new show will now air in 2015. The good news, however, is that AMC has already renewed the series for a second season! You can check out the first behind-the-scenes photo for the series below.

From AMC and Sony Pictures, "Better Call Saul" will take place prior to "Breaking Bad" and will feature the return of Bob Odenkirk's Albuquerque lawyer Saul Goodman and Jonathan Banks' Mike Ehrmantraut with a new role for Michael McKean. The first season is slated to run ten episodes with the second planned for 13.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Official Synopsis:

Better Call Saul is the prequel to the award-winning series Breaking Bad, set six years before Saul Goodman (Bob Odenkirk) became Walter White’s lawyer. When we meet him, the man who will become Saul Goodman is known as Jimmy McGill, a small-time lawyer searching for his destiny, and, more immediately, hustling to make ends meet. Working alongside, and often against, Jimmy is “fixer” Mike Erhmantraut (Jonathan Banks), a beloved character introduced in Breaking Bad. The series will track Jimmy’s transformation into Saul Goodman, the man who puts “criminal” in “criminal lawyer.”

Debuts on Sunday, February 8, 2015 before it moves into it’s regular time slot on Monday, February 9, 2015 at 10:00pm.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Official Synopsis:

Better Call Saul is the prequel to the award-winning series Breaking Bad, set six years before Saul Goodman (Bob Odenkirk) became Walter White’s lawyer. When we meet him, the man who will become Saul Goodman is known as Jimmy McGill, a small-time lawyer searching for his destiny, and, more immediately, hustling to make ends meet. Working alongside, and often against, Jimmy is “fixer” Mike Erhmantraut (Jonathan Banks), a beloved character introduced in Breaking Bad. The series will track Jimmy’s transformation into Saul Goodman, the man who puts “criminal” in “criminal lawyer.”

Debuts on Sunday, February 8, 2015 before it moves into it’s regular time slot on Monday, February 9, 2015 at 10:00pm.

Sounds about as awful as "Sauls annoying voice and ****ty acting" :)

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
'Better Call Saul' creators: Walt and Jesse not in first season (but all 'Breaking Bad' characters might eventually appear)

http://insidetv.ew.com/2015/01/10/better-call-saul/

“In the spirit of full disclosure, Walt and Jesse will not appear in season 1,” Gould said. “Having said that, everything else is on the table.” Gould noted there’s a large board in the Saul writers’ room listing all the characters from Breaking Bad as potential script fodder.

Gilligan added: “The short answer is: The sky is the limit and any of these characters could conceivably show up in future seasons. But the intention is it will feel proper and organic, because if it feels like a stunt then something has gone terribly wrong in the writers’ room. Jesse will be tricky, because he’s so young [during the Better Call Saul timeline]. To be completely honest, I want to see them all eventually. There’s a constant tension of, ‘Man, this would be fun to do, but would it just be a stunt?'”

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
as much as I LOVED BB, I'm not really looking forward to this. I'll watch it out of curiosity, but I don't know if Saul can really carry his own show.

OP
OP
HoodieBets

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
Couldn't Gus comeback? The tough part is just making sure there are no plot holes

JS22

Say Vandelay!
Reaction score
Pilot was good, not great. But the second episode was really, really good IMO. I think they've nailed it so far.

don7031

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
The built in audience from "Breaking Bad" is a two edged sword. They have the luxury of not having to wow you right out of the gate. But expectations are very high.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PicksFromDave