Better Call Saul (AMC)

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
Just saw AMC announce a spinoff of Breaking Bad for Saul. Just what the doctor ordered.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
AMC and Sony Pictures Television confirmed today that they have reached a licensing agreement for a spinoff of Vince Gilligan’s landmark AMC/SPT series Breaking Bad. As conceived, the new series is based on the show’s popular Saul Goodman character with the working title Better Call Saul. Plans call for Saul to be a one-hour prequel that will focus on the evolution of the popular Saul Goodman character before he ever became Walter White’s lawyer.

OP
OP
HoodieBets

HoodieBets

Formerly azcardsfan1616
Reaction score
I would rather it be a continuation as obviously with a prequel you can only go so far.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Curious. I thought they would go with the 1/2-hour sitcom prequel It's Jesse, Bitch!

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Curious. I thought they would go with the 1/2-hour sitcom prequel It's Jesse, Bitch!

Not me. I thought they would go with the 1/2-hour sitcom prequel featuring Walt Jr. called What's For Breakfast?. :D

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not me. I thought they would go with the 1/2-hour sitcom prequel featuring Walt Jr. called What's For Breakfast?. :D

I think they considered the neo-reality show Badger and Skinny Pete, but the producers killed it when, in 20 hours of footage for the pilot, the pair never leave Jesse's living room. Just 20 hours of bong-inspired Star Trek rants. Firefly zealots are already organizing a protest to get it on the air, for the first time, on rumor that they briefly mentioned Joss Whedon. They would be fine if it continued on in comic book form.

O

LD @ F.O.H.
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
I think they considered the neo-reality show Badger and Skinny Pete, but the producers killed it when, in 20 hours of footage for the pilot, the pair never leave Jesse's living room. Just 20 hours of bong-inspired Star Trek rants. Firefly zealots are already organizing a protest to get it on the air, for the first time, on rumor that they briefly mentioned Joss Whedon. They would be fine if it continued on in comic book form.

:biglaugh:

NICE!

crisper57

Open the Roof!
Reaction score
I like the idea of a prequel better. Saul has transformed since he met Walt. He used to feel invincible and that led to his funnier moments. If this is going to be a comedy, he can't really be weighed down by his Heisenberg experiences.

I hope he is reunited with his old "Mr. Show" cohort, David Cross, as the bumbling prosecutor who can't get one over on Saul.

LWYRUP vs. ANUSTART

Last edited:

puckhead

Waxing Gibbous
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think they considered the neo-reality show Badger and Skinny Pete, but the producers killed it when, in 20 hours of footage for the pilot, the pair never leave Jesse's living room. Just 20 hours of bong-inspired Star Trek rants...

Ideal Kevin "2-shot" Smith project.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lame. Saul is cool and a good character but I can only handle him on screen in doses. I think a whole hour of Saul will get really old really fast.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lame. Saul is cool and a good character but I can only handle him on screen in doses. I think a whole hour of Saul will get really old really fast.

I respect your kung fu, Shane. That was a righteous take. Vince Gilligan hasn't seemed to learn an important lesson.

You must be registered for see images attach

Superbone

Phoenix native; Lifelong Suns Fan
Reaction score
I like the idea of a prequel better. Saul has transformed since he met Walt. He used to feel invincible and that led to his funnier moments. If this is going to be a comedy, he can't really be weighed down by his Heisenberg experiences.

I hope he is reunited with his old "Mr. Show" cohort, David Cross, as the bumbling prosecutor who can't get one over on Saul.

LWYRUP vs. ANUSTART

How about a Todd Margaret / Saul Goodman mash up?

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score

kinda feeling the same way.

Cheesebeef

ASFN IDOL
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you guys are kidding about that trailer being real, right? there ain't no way that thing is real.

Gaddabout

Plucky Comic Relief
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you guys are kidding about that trailer being real, right? there ain't no way that thing is real.

Not real? Dang. I was really hoping Marisa Tomei was going to revive her character from My Cousin Vinny.

Brian in Mesa

Advocatus Diaboli
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
'Better Call Saul': Jonathan Banks joins 'Breaking Bad' spin-off

http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/01/27/b...+Jonathan+Banks+joins+'Breaking+Bad'+spin-off

One of the big questions surrounding Breaking Bad spin-off Better Call Saul has been: Will any characters from the original show be seen conspiring with shady criminal lawyer Saul Goodman (Bob Odenkirk)? The answer: You can Banks on it.

Jonathan Banks — a.k.a. lethal, world-weary fixer Mike Ehrmantraut on AMC’s acclaimed drug drama — has signed on as a series regular, the network confirmed today. (Deadline first reported the news.) The one-hour prequel, which is being overlorded by BB creator Vince Gilligan and co-executive producer Peter Gould, will focus on Goodman’s legal wheeling and dealings before crossing paths with chemistry teacher-turned-crystal meth king Walter White (Bryan Cranston). The casting of Banks makes sense: In addition to serving as the head of security for drug and chicken lord Gustavo Fring (Giancarlo Esposito), and later partnering up with Walter and Jesse (Aaron Paul), Mike worked as a PI/cleaner in association with Saul. Banks joined Breaking Bad at the end of season 2 and received an Emmy nomination in season 5.

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
I would rather it be a continuation as obviously with a prequel you can only go so far.

I didn't think his character was that good and to a degree somewhat implausible. How could an ambulance chasing shyster have so many underworld connections? Anyhoo, gonna skip this one and I have a feeling that it will probably do well at first but after a while Saul's act will start wearing thin on audiences. As entertaining as his character might have been, when given in small doses you can get by but an entire show surrounding the character might get old real fast. We shall see.

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
G-PA