BA's Injury Management

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
Has to be called into question, imo.

Cases in point:

* BA's unorthodox and unprecedented insistence that team organized stretching and calisthenics is a waste of time.

* Playing Carson Palmer on the eve of the playoffs in a relatively meaningless Seattle game (Week 17, 2015) when it was clear he was nursing an injured index finger on his throwing hand.

* Throwing caution to the wind with RG Evan Mathis who was rehabbing from a surgically repaired leg and then started suffering ankle injuries, but was rushed back too soon.

* Calling out Robert Nkemdiche last training camp, when clearly he was suffering through a bad ankle sprain.

* Calling out Justin Bethel who clearly was impaired by his broken foot.

* Playing Andre Ellington and even starting him as the kickoff returner when Ellington himself has admitted that he took dives at the first threat of contact because of injuries.

* Calling out Josh Bynes for not being in football shape ("Bynes flashed, but street free agents think they are in football shape, and they are not") now that he has a leg injury.

* Calling out John Brown saying that if he can't run, he has to be replaced.

John Brown stood up to BA this week and said he wasn't going to rush his rehab just to please the coach. "I'll play when I'm ready," Brown avowed. Brown says that his body takes longer to heal because of his sickle cell anemia and while BA concurred with Brown on that, he went ahead and made the statement:

"Some guys are slow healers, some guys are fast healers," Arians said, adding when asked how patient he will be with Brown, "I don't have any choice. Can't run, you can't play. Now, if you can't run long enough, we've got to replace you."

Sure, any time a coach is missing players in practice and in games because of injuries, it's frustrating. But, is calling the players out a good answer? What does it imply?

On the other hand, BA tends to spare others of the same kind of scrutiny and threats...like Karlos Dansby (knee) who hasn't practiced for over 10 days.

BA's self-proclaimed style is to break players down and build them back up.

One has to ask whether this style is rubbing thin on the players after four years.

BA headed into camp raving that all 12 of his WRs are bona fide NFL caliber players.

This week, after a poor practice, BA revised that number. It's now, according to him, down from twelve to two. Larry Fitzgerald and Jaron Brown.

And this makes one wonder...how well are BA's WRs progressing from year to year. Other than All-Pro Larry Fitzgerald...have any of BA's WRs in Arizona shown year to year improvement? One could actually make the case that they have regressed during their time here. Look at Michael Floyd. Now John Brown. J.J. Nelson, the rave of last year's camp before he got injured, has had a very quiet camp this year, and according to his coach is no longer a bona fide NFL WR...at least for this week.

BA just stated that 3rd round pick WR Chad Williams, whom BA has called out for being out of shape, "won't be ready to contribute until Thanksgiving, except perhaps on special teams."

BA also indicated that Steve Keim is upstairs breaking down tape of available street free agents.

With the departure of Michael Floyd many fans were expecting some sort of off-season WR acquisition...but BA kept insisting that the "WR room is deep"...kind of like insisting last year when no key free agent was signed to play CB, that Justin Bethel was ready to shine...that he is "just as talented as Patrick Peterson."

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure how John Brown has regressed, he has just been injured for two seasons. Maybe if he is ever healthy and playing again we can diagnose if he is improving but he needs to get healthy or he will never have another season like his first again.

schutd

ASFN Addict
Reaction score
I feel like strength and conditioning has noticeably regressed under Arians' tenure. Its honestly my only beef with him as a coach. Im not sure how facetious he was being back when he talked about the worth of stretching, as he is prone to throw a good quote out there over what reality is, but once its out there, we're allowed to dissect it a bit. Injuries have been a real concern the past few years. Not sure, but I would imagine any sports scientist would argue the value of stretching...

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
I feel like strength and conditioning has noticeably regressed under Arians' tenure. Its honestly my only beef with him as a coach. Im not sure how facetious he was being back when he talked about the worth of stretching, as he is prone to throw a good quote out there over what reality is, but once its out there, we're allowed to dissect it a bit. Injuries have been a real concern the past few years. Not sure, but I would imagine any sports scientist would argue the value of stretching...

Team organized stretching is not only a physical preparation, but a mental one. It's also a good time for coaches to speak to individual players, to help get their minds right or to help build spirit. Bill Parcells was a master at that. So was Bill Walsh.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It seems weird we still talk about the stretching.

BA on stretching is "You should stretch before practice so we can practice" not "don't bother stretching, just show up". For someone reason, everyone thinks it is the latter.

When I show up to work I am expected to be ready. We don't have team coffee sessions to wake everyone up, we are expected to already be awake and ready to work.

b8rtm8nn

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score

Several of the vets have mentioned how much their conditioning has improved with the new strength and conditioning coach, who tailors the programs and regimes to each player and each position. I feel that our conditioning has improved under Whiz and continued to be stellar under BA, which is also an improvement by the Bidwill's in investing to these guys.

NJCardFan

ASFN Icon
Reaction score
One beef I have with BA was not sitting starters in the Philly game 2 years ago when it was a blowout. Specifically PP and HB and as we all know, HB blew out his knee in that game. Now, hindsight is 20/20 but HB had already had a blown out knee so resting him in certain situations was prudent and that injury above all others is what hurt us the most during the playoffs that year.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have no issue with playing starters in any real game. You play to win the game. Sometimes the starters can refuse to come out even when asked. I don't blame them.

BigRedRage

Reckless
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Coaching failures (Not of our coaches, just in general):
Losing the locker room
Poor time management
Poor gameplanning
Poor adjustments
overt loyalty

The only thing I can fault BA on is overt loyalty but so far so good, we'll see what happens. IMO, we have an elite coaching staff.

Shaggy

Site Owner Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
It seems weird we still talk about the stretching.

BA on stretching is "You should stretch before practice so we can practice" not "don't bother stretching, just show up". For someone reason, everyone thinks it is the latter.

When I show up to work I am expected to be ready. We don't have team coffee sessions to wake everyone up, we are expected to already be awake and ready to work.

Yeah, what is stopping the whole team to go out there and stretch before practice even starts? They want to sleep in? It doesn't take hours to stretch out. If practice starts at 7 am, get to the practice field at 5:30/6 am and stretch. Is it that hard?

oaken1

Stone Cold
Supporting Member
Banned from P+R
Reaction score
I was a trainer back in the 80's and always a big fan of stretching... however more current scientific evidence says that stretching does not prevent injuries,...it has the same effect of any other type of muscle warming activity...

BA is correct on JB...no run, no play= No play, no team..............you cant help the club from the tub and if you spend all your time in the tub the club has no reason to pay you to hang around.

playing a starter,...during a regular season game, against a division rival??... How can anybody see that as a negative? everyone knew Palmers finger was not going to heal until the off season...it was evident by how he held the ball.

andre ellington admitted he was avoiding contact because he didn't want to get injured AGAIN...not because he was injured at the time... huge difference there.

nkemdiche needed calling out last season...lots of it... dude has spent his young life getting by on talent without work. if he was ever going to make it in the nfl he needed to learn how to work.... also,...any athlete or soldier knows,...there is a difference between pain and injury

I agree that at times BA's rhetoric can rub the wrong way. But in all honesty the constant bashing of a coach with a great w/l record is every bit as boorish

GoldGloveschmidt

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I had a boss who threatened to fire the employees all the time. Everybody hated her. I'm also grtting tired of the threatening comments from BA. I'm sure the players are too, at least some of them.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
'Stretching' is one of the most overrated acts on preventing injuries and warming up, you want to warm up you run. I know, if you participated in sports, it was long held that stretching limbers the body before an event and prevents injuries but the body itself really only approaches being warmed up and limbered for the task while being in motion to a large extent, though something like yoga as a workout in itself can help flexibility... but what do I know only running college track and not playing football, carry on bitching about Arians and all the other grievances of his supposed inaptitude while giving the Cardinals their best prospects of winning since Don Coryell

ARZCardinals

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
Only issue I had was playing David Johnson on the last game of the season that meant nothing. Then David Johnson looked like his knee was tore in half for a game that was meaningless.

Jetstream Green

Kool Aid with a touch of vodka
Reaction score
Only issue I had was playing David Johnson on the last game of the season that meant nothing. Then David Johnson looked like his knee was tore in half for a game that was meaningless.
But David Johnson I am sure had no problem with playing... he is a football player and by that point of view, Walter Payton would not have played for half his career when the Bears seasons meant nothing to risk injury