Bad Bad Levi Brown...

Mitch

Crawled Through 5 FB Fields
Reaction score
Baddest man in da whole damn town
Badder than Old King Kong
And meaner than a junkyard dog!

Speaking of the Dawgs...the Dawg Pound...the Cleveland Browns...were the major reason why the Cardinals wound up picking Levi Brown at #5.

First of all, they beat the Cardinals to the free agent offensive lineman gem this year: Eric Steinbach.

Had the Cardinals invested in Steinbach...it would have given them more flexibility with the #5 pick.

Secondly. the Browns were at it again drafting T Joe Thomas at #3...which in retrospect may have been doing the Cards a favor this time around, particularly if Thomas slid to #5 and the Cards were to take Levi Brown there instead...

Let's just say that the scrutiny would have been intense had the Cards taken Brown over Thomas.

For a couple of weeks now I have been trying to warn you all that drafting Levi Brown at #5 seemed inevitable...

The only question was, could the Cardinals trade down and still get him...

However, as I mentioned in a few posts, the player that teams would trade up for at #5 was likely to be S LaRon Landry...especially since it seemed clear that the Redskins, with Adams off the board, would take Landry as they did at #6.

The most likely suitor for Landry was the Atlanta Falcons...and quite frankly I am surprised that they didn't make a move to trade up with the Cards at #5...

The problem may have been...if Atlanta did indeed call...is worrying that Atlanta would take Levi Brown--a player they had been coveting--at #5. Sometimes a team that wants to trade up won't divulge what player they are interested in taking because they don't want the team they are talking to to go ahead and take that player...or work a deal with someone else knowing who the coveted player is.

The bottom line is...as I wrote yesterday and this morning...this pick was made mandatory by the failure to address the need in free agency or via a trade.

If you want to blame someone...Rod Graves, or Ken Whisenhunt--or both--blame them for not addressing the need earlier...but don't blame them for this pick. This was a MUST pick.

The good news is, a number of scouts had reported that they liked Brown better than Thomas...now, only time will tell.

Russ Grimm had Brown rated as his #1 tackle in the draft. That should be good enough for any of us.

Even better news...at least the offensive line situation is finally getting the major attention it needs.

So...kick back and rest easy, my friends....we just added a mauler LT who should be one of the major reasons why the Cardinals will be able to finally run the ball, and as a result, finally start to win football games on a regular basis.

Bad, bad, Levi Brown...baddest man...!!!

Last edited:

joeshmo

Kangol Hat Aficionado
Reaction score
I dont love this pick but I dont hate it either for the following reasons,

1. We didnt pass on Adams or Thomas to get him.
2. According to Graves the Cards didnt get a single phone call in the war room for trades.
3. Info I did not know or anyone else knew at this time yesterday. Apparently Grimm was the one who worked out the Penn St. OL drills during their pro day.

Again I dont hate it but I am not loving it yet either. Here is to 2 new D players in the next 2 rounds.

az1965

Love Games!
Reaction score
At least Cards are not deterred by all these so called experts and did what THEY think is right, whether it works or not we will see.

Shane

Current STAR
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I love the pick!

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score
So....

Who are the starters (presumably)?

Brown-Brown-Johnson-Lutui-Ross?

You know, Divide Et Impera, what would be unreal...acquire G Alan Faneca...and here it is:

LT Brown, Levi
LG Faneca
C Johnson
RG Lutui
RT Gandy

Which would mean...only 1 of last year's starters (Lutui) remain...now that's an overhaul!

Reserves:

LT Ross
LG Brown, Milford
C Leckey
RG Wells, Brown, Elton
RT Gorin

And...perhaps there will be another o-lineman taken in this draft.

Redsz

We do this together
Reaction score
So....

Who are the starters (presumably)?

Brown-Brown-Johnson-Lutui-Ross?

I hope:

LT: Levi Brown
LG: Milford Brown
C: Al Johnson
RG: Duece Lutui
RT: Reggie Wells

I think once the Cards start to do full contact drills Wells will show that he isn't strong enough for the inside and be moved to RT.

Big Deal

Hall of Famer
Reaction score
I hope:

I think once the Cards start to do full contact drills Wells will show that he isn't strong enough for the inside and be moved to RT.

That is one HELL of a Left side to maul with. Can you imagine mixing a zone where you can pull Lutui and really build a wall? That is smash mouth. I just hope and pray that the only reason they moved Wells to LG during mini camps is because Brown was getting married.

az1965

Love Games!
Reaction score
I hope:

Me like it!!

WisconsinCard

Herfin BIg Time
Reaction score
I hope:

I got to admit that looks pretty tough. It might take half the season to get them all on the same page, but once they do...could be WOW!

sportznutt

Canadian Card
Reaction score
Vic Carruicci: Offensive tackle was a major priority for the Cardinals, and Brown looks as if he will fill that hole well. There wasn't all that wide of a ratings gap between Thomas and Brown. The Cards certainly could have gone with Adrian Peterson in hopes of improving their running game, which needs a serious boost. Of course, adding Brown should make a significant difference in Arizona's ability to run the ball while also allowing Matt Leinart to take his game to another level.

Gil Brandt: Levi Brown was a four-year starter at Penn State. History tells us that when offensive linemen start over 40 games in their college careers, they turn out to be outstanding players in the NFL. This is a person that finished Penn State in 3 1/2 years and has excellent strength, which is very important as a tackle in the NFL. I think Arizona got its tackle for about the next 12 years, which is a very good sign.

Pat Kirwan: Levi Brown has 45 starts in college football. He's an outstanding run blocker. Ken Whisenhunt and Russ Grimm are bringing a running game to Arizona, and this is the first step. I thought they could have moved down a few spots and still have gotten Brown.

Aikdog

Reaction score
This looks like a better offensive line than the beginning of last year, but only if Wells moves back to LT. Brown will be marginally worse than Davis for at least the first year, but after that he could be better. Lutui will improve from last year. Milford Brown and Reggie Wells should improve with another year of growth. In Al Johnson hopefully the coaching staff sees something in him to justify the contract. Our depth on the line has improved the most. While Gandy and Lechey are no world beaters, they certainly offer improvement. If at the end of last year our OL was a 3.5 on a scale from 1-10 we are probably somewhere around a 4.5-5 as of the first round. A good pick in the second round could improve this.

conraddobler

I want my 2$
Reaction score
I got to admit that looks pretty tough. It might take half the season to get them all on the same page, but once they do...could be WOW!

Even as dissapointed as I am in the pick for tactical offseason reasons, that line looks very good to me.

Hopefully we'll take a back somewhere in the draft and he'll be a stud no one called as being a stud.

BigRedArk

ASFN Lifer
Reaction score
I know you like Levi Walter but we should have taken and impact guy like Adrian Peterson. AP's injuries are distorted. That collarbone injury last year shouldn't have happened. Stoops left him in so he could get OU rushing record that he was closing in on. He may turn out to be more durable in the NFL than we think.

Evil Ash

Henchman Supreme
Reaction score
I know you like Levi Walter but we should have taken and impact guy like Adrian Peterson. AP's injuries are distorted. That collarbone injury last year shouldn't have happened. Stoops left him in so he could get OU rushing record that he was closing in on. He may turn out to be more durable in the NFL than we think.

Maybe now that he has gone to a team with a good RB and Oline situation. However he might be like ruined for his entire career because Stoops overused him and when you are spending that much money on a guy thats a huge ass risk

Duckjake

LEGACY MEMBER
LEGACY MEMBER
Reaction score
Reports are that Levi Brown is going to play RT. Now that I see that he was selected to replace Reggie Wells and not BIGG I like the pick too.

:D

OP
OP
Mitch

Mitch

Reaction score

This is the frustrating thing, BidRedArk...had the Cardinals found a LT in free agency...AP might be donning the Cardinal red right now.

But...let's face it too...this year's market for LTs was about as thin as it gets. This is just the way it goes. I think we should be thankful that the Cardinals were able to draft a LT of Levi Brown's caliber...this guy should be able to start right away.

And there's a lot to be said about coaches meaning what they say. Whiz has said all along he is building a physical style of offense...Levi Brown is a big, physical LT...the words and the music match here. Hooray for that!

Aikdog

Reaction score
Even as dissapointed as I am in the pick for tactical offseason reasons, that line looks very good to me.

Hopefully we'll take a back somewhere in the draft and he'll be a stud no one called as being a stud.

That pick for me is Kenny Irons. A good value pick in the third of he lasts that long and a developmental back to give Edge a breather. In my opinion he is the best back after AP.

Arizona's Finest

Your My Favorite Mistake
Reaction score
Behind Joe Thomas and Jake Long, probably the two best tackles in the nation.

I am sooo glad you posted this. I was about to blow a coronary when i read Mao's initial post. Long would have been top 5 had he come out too.