Backpacking thread

Discussion in 'Great Outdoors' started by Hollywood, Aug 17, 2019.

1. Hollywood

Hollywood is part black.

Mesa, Arizona, USA, Planet Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
    My recent biking trip with my brother made me realize that I would like to try backpacking because I think I would love it. I like hiking and I liked the minimalist camping. Just not the bike riding. So I am back to the gym and putting the treadmill on an incline and using the stair climber to build up those muscles.

Do we have any backpackers here?

Red Dawn and Absolute Zero like this.
  2. BigRedRage

BigRedRage Reckless Contributor

I have only done it minimally, long trips require lots of off time but I love it as well and would prefer it over the biking. Pretty much everything is the same, you're just on foot.

Thermarest sleeping pads, Jetboil cooking systems and a good water filter are your best friends. There is also some sort of lightweight item that converts your thermarest sleeping bed into a chair with a backrest. A big deal for me as my back gets really sore especially with a 40lb backpack on my back.

3. Cheesewater

Cheesewater The Belt of Venus

Make sure you get fitted for a backpack. How you carry the load is extremely important. You don't have to buy a pack at REI but definitely go there (or some other well-regarded outdoor outfitter) and get educated on the best fit for you. For instance, you should be carrying the load on your hips, not your shoulders.

Absolute Zero and BigRedRage like this.
  4. BigRedRage

on top of that I also recommend reading about distributing weight in your pack so that all the heavy stuff isnt in one spot.

Cheesewater likes this.
  5. Hollywood

Hollywood is part black.

I will be hammock camping so the thermarest pad won't be an issue. Still need to get the stove and cooking ware. I am planning on getting a Katadyn water filter but have been seeing a lot of good things about the Sawyer Mini.

Thats the plan. First I am going to see if I can find a way to attach my sleeping bag to my Camelbak Francona to try out on an overnighter. Test the water on this backpacking thing. See if it is something I will want to keep doing before I drop a couple hundred more into it.

6. BigRedRage

Thermarest in the hammock makes a really big difference in cold weather fyi.

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

7. Hollywood

Hollywood is part black.

Good to know. I was thinking more of an under quilt though. My brother has a sleeping pad that he uses in his hammock and really likes.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

8. Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero Registered User

Guilty. I live in Oregon and have been trying to hike the PCT the past couple of summers. Its hard to find the time, but I have done a few stretches between the CA border and Crater Lake.

Great stuff on gear and hiking various trails on Youtube. I have watched more videos more than I have hiked lately it seems.

Red Dawn likes this.
  9. BigRedRage

I would think the pad will be far less weight and somehow it really insulates you from the wind and etc.

10. Hollywood

Hollywood is part black.

I will check them out. A pad would also be more useful if I ended up sleeping on the ground.

11. BigRedRage

the pads are amazing. I recommend you get a good one that is self inflating like a thermarest. Even if you do not continue to backpack, they work great in the bed of a pickup, on the ground, everywhere. The most important accessory to have if you ask me.

I went cheap on one and regretted it. Always go thermarest now. its worth it.

12. Hollywood

Hollywood is part black.

My (and my brothers) goal is to hike the Arizona Trail....but we would have to do it in sections. I kind of laugh at him as he thinks 15-20 miles a day is something we can start out doing right out of the gate. I am looking at a 10-15 mile overnighter. 5-7 miles out and 5-7 back for my first trip.

Red Dawn likes this.
  13. Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero Registered User

That's awesome! I watched "Darwin on the Trail" on youtube hike the AZ trail, it looks like a great one. Are you going to start at the Mexico border, or do it piecemeal?

Last Summer, my oldest son and I started out with high hopes on a section of the PCT in Oregon. We did an 11 mile day on day 1 of a planned 3 day trip. Day 2 my son was done. We went back later in the Summer, but definitely have to build the stamina for it. We also figured out we were carrying way too much weight.

Red Dawn likes this.
  14. BigRedRage

I would say, being in okay shape, that 8 miles a day is reasonable to start with. I did 8 miles in a day the other weekend. I was pretty spent at the end.

if you dont have good boots yet, Bates makes amazing, lightweight boots.

15. Dback Jon

Dback Jon Killer Snail Contributor

That is a great goal. I have hiked a few sections, nothing overnight. Hopefully they get the Superstition section reopened soon after the Woodbury Fire damaged the trail.

There is a good Facebook group: Arizona Hiking. Several have done the entire trail already that post on their, and plenty have done sections willing to share info.